Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The crappiest iMacs to date

The crappiest iMacs to date
OddManOut
Feb 22, 2001, 08:12 AM

I think the tie thing was the only thing Mr. Jobs did right last night. At least he tries to respect Japans culture and heritage. That�s a good sign. The bad thing is that we now have the most shitty crappy consumer line-up ever. period. In the year 2001 he�s offering last year processors on year 1999 clock speed. All this with monitor specs from 1992 in colour schemes for 5 year olds. All this topped with insane prices. PATHETIC

How on earth is he going to bring the company back to profitability with this crap. People have been shouting for years, STEVE WE WANT BIGGER MONITOR, STEVE WE WANT BIGGER MONITOR. The answer is the same. Shut the **** up, 13,9� is good enough for you. I don�t know what�s worse, the monitor or the attitude here. I called my Mom this morning (I had adviced her to wait for the outcome from MWTY before making a purchase) and we agreed on dumping Apple. This time around at least and she�ll buy ether a Gateway or a Dell. Congratulations $teve, well done. Well Done

[This message has been edited by OddManOut (edited 02-22-2001).]

Rupert
Feb 22, 2001, 08:24 AM

Want a bigger monitor? Is the 22" Cinema Display big enough for you?

OddManOut  (op)
Feb 22, 2001, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Rupert:
Sorry, I didn't realize that the 22" cinema display was a product for the rest of us. Of course the masses have 3000$ for monitor only. Sorry, I just didn't realize that. You're right of course

ekoelbel
Feb 22, 2001, 08:39 AM

the new iMacs aren't really a compelling upgrade for current iMac owners. Just CDRW, and you lose the DVD. Current iMac owners can just buy an external CDRW drive if they really want. Apart from that, still G3 processors, no nViDIA or Radeon graphics.
just from a perception standpoint, sub 500 MHz G3 chips have got to go....

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 09:36 AM

Nice tie though. And suit

N_D_Y
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed.

BOB DYLAN - "Things Have Changed"

The_Seeker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2001, 09:36 AM

I think "Old Man is Out" 's mother deserves a PC...
Bigger screen wouldn't fit on my desk anyway, and, if you want bigger display it will be more expensive (remember that you are from the masses...).

Buy a Cube, the price is reduced and you get the DVD player
Then buy a 17" or even 19" display.

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 09:41 AM

Has Apple turned gay? http://www.thema1.de/index.php3?F=AS...a3a950c56180ce

Quick translation: "We here are great Apple fans, but these horrendous (looking) machines will not get through our front door."

Make of it what you will.

N_D_Y

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 09:43 AM

Someone made a point, I think on these BB's, Apple invested a lot of RD money into this iMac design and they are capitalizing on it as much as possible. Now, with that said, I think it's time to let it go. It's time for a whole new deal. I don't mind seeing a 15" monitor on a low end consumer model, but something a little bigger for a high end consumer model is due. Apple can continue raking in $$$ on their award winning design on cheaper models, low price will keep them selling, I know of four $799 iMacs sold just because the price was right. But, some non-professionals want a bigger monitor and more power, and it is due. I can only guess that something is in the works and Apple is just buying time at this point.

As far as dumping iMac's because of the color, they still have Indigo and Graphite, I would have preferred they lowered the low end one to $799 and opposed to $899, but it's still not bad. I stopped recommending the last models $799 because I felt the firewire ports were essential for expanding your computer.

Just for your info, your can pick up a Cube $1299 and a 17" monitor $499, a complete system for $1800. Really, what would you expect a new iMac for cost with a 17" monitor. Hell, as far as we know the Cube is the new iMac that they are just capitalizing on.

OddManOut, Good luck on the Wintel world.

OddManOut  (op)
Feb 22, 2001, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by slider:
OddManOut, Good luck on the Wintel world.
Don't worry about me, I still got my Macs (3 of 'em actually) and will continue to use them. I'm just worried. The company has to get back to profitability and I just don't see that happening now. As for the Wintel world, I work in a PC only company and even have 2 PC's at home so they're no Greek to me. I just think it's very sad were Apple is heading. If this is the line-up until MWNY I just fear for them

parky_in_paris
Feb 22, 2001, 12:48 PM

Gee, it seems that the butch world of computers has been invaded by 'prettiness' and the guys don't like it.

For gods sake grow up all of you.

Apple have simply expaned the look of the product line, if you don't like the patterned iMacs by an Indigo or Graphite one, you have a choice.

Just because there are now computers that might for the first time appeal to the fairer sex, don't start to rant and rave.

No one is forcing you to but one.

And as to you and your mother opting to buy Windows instead, why ?
Do you not like Indigo or Graphite ? Will a horid beige box please you more. Or a shoddy OS and no chance of OS X.

I think you are just trying to get some attention here, if you are a real Apple fan / user there is no way you would switch to Windows just cos you don't like a computer you don't have to buy.

Look around for a Summer 2000 if you want Ruby or Sage, or buy a non patterned new model. And close your eyes, you won't even see the others.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Feb 22, 2001, 02:13 PM

Gee, it seems that the butch world of computers has been invaded by 'prettiness' and the guys don't like it.

For gods sake grow up all of you.
Grow up?!? How is color in the first place "grown-up" anyway? If we were to take this approach we'd still all be using Beige/Grey Machines (which I am actually ). But I prefer to look at what's under the hood for the most part. Sorry to say in the case of "Blue Dalmation" and (especially) "Flower Power" I couldn't possibly see beyond the very poor design, regardless of having at best, a 600 MHz G3 with an L2 on chip cache

Well I'm a designer, and a guy, and many a female will either love or toss thier cookies as-well over "Blue Dalmation" and (especially) "Flower Power". But it's definitely geared towards gender, and age.

Now it's not so much that the concept is bad per-se. I think patterns and designs on computers would be cool if done in good taste. Specifically ones that are aesthetically pleasing as-well as publically recognizable.

So......if Apple must go with the "Male vs Female" market I say lets get out some Army "Camoflage" iMacs and yellow and black striped (I.E. like seen at a construction area) iMacs, maybe a black iMac with a bunch of skulls 'n crossbones biting the windows logo

I mean what was so wrong with solid colors? Was a Ruby iMac less appealing to the female market than a "Flower Power" one? Again however I believe in that specific case it's not only a gender issue but an age/gender issue. "Flower Power" isn't going to appeal to the older Female market as much as the teenage Female market.

Mike

schew
Feb 22, 2001, 02:48 PM

This is a repeat from another thread but it applies hear as well. Also that link...
http://www.thema1.de/index.php3?F=AS...a3a950c56180ce

It goes to prove a point that there is way to much testostorone out there. "Has Apple turned Gay..." What pricks... Well looking at what I wrote... How ironic that it's a German site

Do you begrudge a company for a small part of their product line? If that were so no one would buy a VW or an Audi because of the New Beetle. (Just so you all know VW, Audi and Porsche are all the same company)

The New Beetle is a chick car like the New iMac is a chick computer... GREAT! Women account for over %50 of the market and are responsible for most major household purchases.

What Apple has done is brilliant, they are treating computers and marketing them as if they were this societies largest fetish item... the car. When daddy goes into the showroom to buy his little girl or wife a new iMac HIS eyes will flow straight to the Cube. Just like if he was in a car show room and his eyes would flow to the Audi S4.

Secondly it seems always to be the attitude of most Americans to ignore the rest of the world. Apple's strongest growth in the past two quarters has been outside the US, namely Europe and Japan. These new iMacs will sell like gangbusters in Japan, France, Holland, Scandinavia etc.

Europeans and the Japanese have a much different aesthetic to the US. Again we can make a parallel to cars, American cars don't sell well in Europe and Japan. Conversely European and Japanese cars sell well in America. Ford has given the US the Focus, a European designed car, and bought Jaguar and Volvo. Apple has a Brit as a head designer... Enough said.

The point is you can't manufacture an entire product range to appeal to one demographic. Computers are becoming more and more of an appliance in the home. Therefore they need to be marketed as such. There is a lesson that Apple learned from Motorola. Motorola had a lead position in the world when it came to the manufacture and sale of cell phones. They built their phones to appeal to the "business man" who would talk all day on their phones. They ignored the fact that the fastest growing group of users was women. All that women wanted was a phone that was small enough to be kept in her handbag and to be used only in emergencies or for short times. Nokia produced for that market. Today Nokia is the largest producer of cell phones in the world and women account for the majority of cell phone users.

Apple has got it right.

skg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2001, 03:01 PM

I agree with Schew completely. Just look at all the colors and patterns available for cell phones, it's all the rage.
I think the flowerpower iMac is great. But, I would also like to see more "guy" patterns:
"Army "Camoflage" iMacs and yellow and black striped (I.E. like seen at a construction area) iMacs, maybe a black iMac with a bunch of skulls 'n crossbones"
Sounds like a great idea, too. Camo iMacs would be hip!

Oh, here are a couple of other cool ideas for the iMac I picked up on the forum:
black iMac with flames, I know this would sell
a green&white alien pattern iMac

[This message has been edited by skg (edited 02-22-2001).]

bitfly
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 03:04 PM

Right on schew!

I have a feeling that most of the people in this forum are 16 year old boys that want a BLACK, 17 inch iMac for $899 because:

1) They will look sooo cool with a black computer to all their friends.
2) With their job at McDonald they can't afford more then $899.

The new iMac's are a great idea and will have a market. Don't like it buy a Indigo or Graphite. Screen to small, get a Tower or a Cube.

Do you see what Apple has wisely done? They put bigger differences between products. The Cube now has a bigger market and the Pro Consumers will opt for a tower rather then skimping and getting a SE iMac.

Apple is smarter then teenagers!

iMight
Feb 22, 2001, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by slider:
Hell, as far as we know the Cube is the new iMac that they are just capitalizing on.
B-I-N-G-O, slider. It's been said before on these forums that the Cube could/should replace the aging iMac line. Flowers and fido spots will sabotage potential iMac sales and bring those customers to the next level up in price and processors, the Cube.

Apple didn't make a blunder, they made a plan for the future. (If it works is another matter entirely!)

------------------
iMight [email protected]
The G4 Cube: Size does matter!
450 128 20 9.0.4 17 Radeon
------------------

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 03:30 PM

and women account for the majority of cell phone users.
Well, that does NOT surprise me

N_D_Y

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2001, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by iMight:
B-I-N-G-O, slider. It's been said before on these forums that the Cube could/should replace the aging iMac line. Flowers and fido spots will sabotage potential iMac sales and bring those customers to the next level up in price and processors, the Cube.

Apple didn't make a blunder, they made a plan for the future. (If it works is another matter entirely!)

ok. do you honestly think that apple would put out a bad product that noone would want to buy just so theyd buy something else? while i guess you could draw that conclusion, it doesnt make sense to me. especially if they spent 8 months working on the molded plastic shells for those ugly things (which i believe to be true, i imagine its complicated to mold plastic in specific designs like dots and flowers).

schew
Feb 22, 2001, 04:59 PM

They just made things different... They have brought the price point between the iMac and Cube closer together. It's working... Two months ago I wouldn't have looked twice at a cube but now... This does not diminish the iMac but now I have a to make a choice regarding a desktop solution G3 Vs G4, 15" Vs 17" if all I do is read email, surf the web and use Office... I go iMac but I do like my Sims and I do play with PhotoShop once and a while.

Decisions Decisions... Besides I need a new PowerBook

OddManOut  (op)
Feb 22, 2001, 05:42 PM

The whole issue here is not if one colour appeals more to one gender than the other and it's not about if one colour looks better than an other. It's about "old" technology being put in new colours, as that will cut it! When people buy computers as well as other appliances they look for the best deal. You have certain criteria you want your computer fit in. Among issues people often mention are among others price, monitor size, SW bundles and SW availability in general, looks etc. etc. This is of course not the most important think for diehard Mac fans where the MacOs is the most important thing and everything else comes 2nd.

When Apple sales collapsed a few months back Apple were pretty outspoken on issues they had failed, one of them being lack of CD-RW. They have addressed that now and that's all good but have they tackled their biggest problem? I don't think so but time will tell of course. It's good however the Cube has come further down in price and hopefully they'll come up with an attractive SW and monitor bundle soon

iMight
Feb 22, 2001, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
ok. do you honestly think that apple would put out a bad product that noone would want to buy just so theyd buy something else? while i guess you could draw that conclusion, it doesnt make sense to me.
If Apple can make more on a G4 vs. an iMac, and since the Cube in particular is Steve's baby, then honestly yes I understand Apple's willingness to sacrifice a large chunk of iMac sales to support other model lines that have a longer shelf life and more advanced technology. Remember, in tech years the beloved iMac is an ancient computer.

I didn't say Apple purposely introduced a "bad product". It will serve certain people's needs exceptionally well. But I believe Apple strategically did not introduce a compelling appearance or state of the art functionality, and that will sabotage sales as low to mid range shoppers take notice of the now similarly priced G4 Cube.

------------------
iMight [email protected]
The G4 Cube: Size does matter!
450 128 20 9.0.4 17 Radeon
------------------

rupertsucks
Feb 22, 2001, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Rupert:
you dumbass...you respond to the question for a bigger monitor with is 22" big enough for you...it's friggin 3000 dollars!! keep on topic ahole!

OddManOut  (op)
Feb 23, 2001, 05:26 AM

from parky_in_paris
And as to you and your mother opting to buy Windows instead, why ? Do you not like Indigo or Graphite ? Will a horid beige box please you more. Or a shoddy OS and no chance of OS X.
I think she's quite happy with the colour of her current beige Lc-630 and wouldn't mind another identical for that matter. The only current Apple colour that would fit into her living room is the graphite one and even you could see it's heavily overpriced

from parky_in_paris
I think you are just trying to get some attention here, if you are a real Apple fan / user there is no way you would switch to Windows just cos you don't like a computer you don't have to buy.
I like to tell you that I'm not switching platform, my Mom is although I advised her to go PC. Attention is always nice though but I get my fair share of it regardless of my 24 postings on these boards here. I'm just utterly disappointed with the latest iMacs. That's all there is to it

from bitfly:
I have a feeling that most of the people in this forum are 16 year old boys that want a BLACK, 17 inch iMac for $899 because:

1) They will look sooo cool with a black computer to all their friends.
2) With their job at McDonald they can't afford more then $899.

What�s wrong with 16 year olds wanting to be cool? I think it would be smart if Apple could cash in on them a bit more. Nothing wrong with McDonald's employees ether. FYI (or lack of it ) I'm 40 years old Data Centre employee

[This message has been edited by OddManOut (edited 02-23-2001).]

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2001, 08:27 AM

Off-Topic: And I think you look a lot younger

N-D_Y

OddManOut  (op)
Feb 23, 2001, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by Not_Dark_Yet:
Off-Topic: And I think you look a lot younger

N-D_Y
That's why I still get enough attention you see

Forum Links
Forum Rules