Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar and the G4 Cube

Jaguar and the G4 Cube
Ricci Adams
May 6, 2002, 06:57 PM

Does anybody know if the Cube will be able to take advantage of Quartz Extreme?

I have seen many sources say that the Cube has a 2x AGP slot, but the Apple specifications only say "1 AGP slot".

I just wanted to know before I spend a lot of money upgrading to a Radeon.

boardsurfer
May 6, 2002, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Ricci Adams:
<STRONG>I have seen many sources say that the Cube has a 2x AGP slot, but the Apple specifications only say "1 AGP slot".
</STRONG>
It says "one AGP slot" as in, there is only one. It is a 2xAGP, which is what is recomended on the Apple site. say get the Radeon 32MB and rock on!

BS

edit: typo

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: boardsurfer ]

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2002, 07:22 PM

I have a Cube also, I think I'll get a Radeon too! where are they at? where can I buy a Radeon card from?
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 6, 2002, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by boardsurfer:
<STRONG>say get the Radeon 32MB and rock on!</STRONG>
Can you still buy one for the Cube?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2002, 07:29 PM

I've got a Cube and a 450 Sawtooth that will both need video card upgrades. I'll be keeping an eye on this, as well. Which radeon fits in the Cube?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Ricci Adams  (op)
May 6, 2002, 07:31 PM

I was planning on buying one from www.macresq.com (they had actual Cube Radeons in stock). Unfortunately, they sold out literally minutes before my order went through

I am on their backorder list though, so hopefully I will have a new Radeon card in a few weeks/months/years

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 6, 2002, 07:39 PM

Hmm, good price. What do they mean you have to remove the bracket?
http://209.1.58.86/store/detail.las?...06-163430-6582

Ricci Adams  (op)
May 6, 2002, 07:45 PM

I believe that the Cube uses a special kind of mounting bracket. In order to use these cards in your cube, you need to remove the standard bracket and put the special cube one on the card.

I'm a bit worried about these cards overheating though, as they do not have a fan.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Ricci Adams:
<STRONG>I believe that the Cube uses a special kind of mounting bracket. In order to use these cards in your cube, you need to remove the standard bracket and put the special cube one on the card.

I'm a bit worried about these cards overheating though, as they do not have a fan.</STRONG>
Is that easy or is it a bit of a hack?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Epicurus
May 6, 2002, 07:58 PM

I placed my order at 11:15 am PT. I called them a bit ago to make sure my order went through. They said they were just about to call me because he ran out of cards. He had about 30 in stock and got a flood of orders because it was posted on a website and couldn't fill them all. He also said he wasn't sure if he would be getting any more but took my name down and would call if he did. Man, that sucks. If there is another retailer, somebody let us know.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 08:19 PM

I think www.xlr8yourmac.com might have instructions on replacing the Cube video card. The Cube uses a smaller face plate and that isn't too hard to swap out. But I would REALLY (and I mean REALLY) think twice before installing a card without a fan. The Cube Radeon had a fan and even so, mine fried. Fortunately it was under warranty.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

sfhipster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
<STRONG>

Is that easy or is it a bit of a hack?</STRONG>
it's very easy. i replaced my rage pro with a Geforce 2MX, which also required swapping out the faceplate. coupla screws and that's all she wrote.

i would recommend getting on the back order list at macresq.com or searching ebay for pulled geforce or radeon cards with ADC (if you need it, or anticipate ever needing it). that way you'll be ready for 10.2 and your gaming, if you play any 3d ones, performance will improve quite a bit. swapping the cards out took, at most, 20 minutes. the drivers are already on your disk, btw. for both cards.

Eugenia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 09:20 PM

I got a Cube too and I need to upgrade it too. Please note that the Cube can only accept the older Radeons, NOT the 7500 and the 8500 ones. Read here for more info: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=12&t=005401

Jansar
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 09:48 PM

ANY video card that does not have the extra TV-out on it will fit in the Cube. Try finding an OEM (cards that come inside the towers from Apple) video card, and they work too. However, they are extremely hard to find. Good luck.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Ricci Adams  (op)
May 6, 2002, 11:07 PM

I just won a fanless Radeon off eBay at: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=2021699686

Yeah, I know that $250 was too much to pay for the card, but the demand just went up, and the supply is dwindling.

There is another Radeon (with a fan) available for $300 (with buy it now).

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 11:19 PM

i will be getting a 8500 in like a week, and will be selling my Radeon that came in my G4 for really cheap, email me if u r interested.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2002, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
<STRONG>i will be getting a 8500 in like a week, and will be selling my Radeon that came in my G4 for really cheap, email me if u r interested.</STRONG>
As far as I know the cube needs a smaller card then what is in the tower.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 09:06 AM

As far as I know the cube needs a smaller card then what is in the tower.
And a fan! I'm not sure the tower cards have onboard fans.

Why do I get the feeling the release of Jaguar will see untold numbers of Cube meltdowns caused by aftermarket cards?

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 7, 2002, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
<STRONG>
Why do I get the feeling the release of Jaguar will see untold numbers of Cube meltdowns caused by aftermarket cards? </STRONG>
Scary.. Does Steve really want us to buy new hardware evrery two major OS updates??
First a lot of ppl was "forced" to buy new hardware for the 10.0 relize(Including me), and now we are back to scrach..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 09:47 AM

Scary.. Does Steve really want us to buy new hardware evrery two major OS updates??
Yes! Apple is a hardware company!

But seriously, I don't think this is that big a deal. Apple is not saying "In order to run OS X, you now need 32MB of VRAM." It will run just fine on the machines for which it's currently supported. My guess is that those with supported video will see a big leap, but all users will see speed increases with Jaguar.

At least I hope so, since my old tower has a 16MB Rage and I'm stuck with it until fall 2003...

Forum Links
Forum Rules