Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Multiprocessor modem users needed (test fix).

Multiprocessor modem users needed (test fix). (Page 4)
edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2001, 02:24 PM

Sorry I think your wrong as this is the same download as the software update one... Its just been made avail to not OSX internet users it therefore I don't think it will solve the problems BUT

Heres hopeing

Addicted to Grins!!!!

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

TwiTsami
Apr 19, 2001, 02:43 PM

forget what i said, its the same stupid file you had to dl before you could dl 10.0.1 ahh that sucks. That description made it sound like it was something good. oh well heres to time.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2001, 07:14 PM

To Louis.....

Just downloaded the latest patch and I cannot connect anymore.....

If I click on the connect button it depresses and nothing else happens.. The button remains flashing this is exactly like the apple installer app which has the same problem if you hit the restart button. If you have used the 4l7 dodgy update you will know what I mean...

My macvhine is a 450MP 448MB running 4L13

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

Apr 19, 2001, 08:02 PM

Louis,

I have a machine to test the fix on, but how should I contact you with feedback? ([email protected] did not work).

If you send me the altered source, and what you changed, and why I can debug the changes for you in the event the fix doesn't resolve the panics.

Thanks so much for working on this fix!
skylar

([email protected])

Originally posted by lgerbarg:
Well, given the controversy over the whole modem crashing thing I took a bit of a look into it. I am not entirely sure I know what is going on, since I do not have a multiprocessor system that makes it kind of hard to test. I have a hunch, and wrote a patch to fix it. If you are interested in trying it I have made it available, but I have a couple of warnings:

It loads on my system without crashing. I make no more promises than that.
I do not have a dialup connection to test it with.
I do not have an MP box to test it with.
It may crash your system.
It may loose data on your connection.
You have been warned.

Please give me some feedback if you do try it. It is available at http://www.rpi.edu/~gerbal2/AppleSCCSerial.kext.tgz.

It should replace the kext that came with OS X.

Louis

[gzl: fixed the link]

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2001, 07:54 AM

does anyone have a older patch ie the second to last one as the most recent does not work on my machine.. The connect button does nothing... Thanxs Edd

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

Jelle Monkmater
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: World capital of drugs and prostitution. Hmmm... SEXTC...
Apr 20, 2001, 08:12 AM

eddeduck, read my post on page 2 of this topic: it suggests a solution for fixing the broken 'Connect' button.

ADDENDUM: Whoops! Faster than you can say 'All your post are belong to us', my post is now on page 3.

Jelle

[This message has been edited by Jelle Monkmater (edited 04-20-2001).]
The one you love and the one who loves you are never the same person.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2001, 08:41 AM

Thanks alot will try now....

(Addicted To Grins)

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

bigbird 07
Apr 20, 2001, 04:39 PM

Well, I finally bit the bullett and erased and re-installed X. Updated it with the download able version then applied Louis' last patch. It seems that I don't get disconnected now until I try to download something, then "264" city here we come.

Still can't figure out why Mail.app won't let me enter the name of my ISP for smtp. (it will let me enter it, it just won't work) I have to enter the IP address and it works fine.

Thanks Louis and CONGRATS on the new job

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2001, 06:30 PM

no dice same problem still maybe a reinstall????

Will wait a few days as I might also get a new HD soon....

I have tried the terminal stuff....

But still its better than a Kernel Panic

Thanks Louis for all you have done...

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

DP User
Apr 20, 2001, 08:17 PM

After the AppleSCCSerial.kext was packaged I had trouble similar to yours installing it. The connect button would not respond (permissions trouble) and none of the other solutions seemed to work. I got very strange results using chmod, chgrp, chown.
To get it going I did the following:
I installed the .pkg.
I then opened the System/Library/Extensions folder and dragged the newly installed AppleSCCSerial.kext file to the desktop.
I then used the installation method earlier described by igerbarger:
Open the Terminal. Type cd and drag the AppleSCCSerial.kext from the desktop to the Terminal window to set the path. Then press return.
Type:
pax -r -w . /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSCCSerial.kext/
Carefully match the spaces in this command line.
Press return.
Probably Restart.
This worked for me. Good luck.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2001, 06:20 PM

Thanks DP user

Will try when I get back home....

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

lgerbarg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2001, 06:53 PM

As of about 2 days ago, my patch is in Apple's source tree (well, a tweaked copy of my patch ;-). I wager that this means it is slated for the next software update, though I honestly have no details about it.

They built it off the maintenance branch, as opposed to the development branch I have been using. I will look into building their variant of it sometime (anyone who has a Darwin acct can check it out, 'cvs co -r AppleSCCSerid_5_8 AppleSCCSerial').

Louis

------------------
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer
These are my views, and not the views of my employer.

Skooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2001, 09:31 PM

As of about 2 days ago, my patch is in Apple's source tree (well, a tweaked copy of my patch ;-). I wager that this means it is slated for the next software update, though I honestly have no details about it.

They built it off the maintenance branch, as opposed to the development branch I have been using. I will look into building their variant of it sometime (anyone who has a Darwin acct can check it out, 'cvs co -r AppleSCCSerid_5_8 AppleSCCSerial').

Louis

Louis ... that is encouraging news. I really appreciate all that you did for us. I am still running your last patch that you gave us (at least I think it is the last one) ... and everything is going well, but I would still like to get the connection errors down to zero.

If you get the chance, and have time, please build the Apple variant of AppleSCCSerial.kext ... I'm anxious to see what it gives us in performance.

Thanks again ...

Hugh
--Skooks
Semper fi ...
Mac Marines

Andreas Schwerkolt
Apr 23, 2001, 12:32 PM

Louis
Hello,
I'm living in Berlin, Germany. I've bought my G4 DP 533 in the online-Applestore. A week ago I called Apple-Germany to tell them about my problems with OSX/G4 DP and ppp-error 264. The "supporter" on the phone told me, only a small amount of owners of the DP G4s has called Apple and described this error. I was very surprised because of my knowledge what is going on in the various newsgroups. Well, today Apple-Germany called and asked me if the problem has vanished....., seriously these were his words! Then he asked me the same questions as last time. It seems to me, that Apple is far away from a solution of our problem. It is ridiculous: They're selling DP-Maschines and OSX which should support dualprozessing better than singlepro.s and now what? My advise: Call Apple until the lines are burning!!!
A very disappointed Mac-User
Andreas

Elena's Dad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2001, 04:51 PM

Hi Louis

I just wanted to express my appreciation for your hard work in helping to solve this issue. I'm now using OS X as my main OS, and that is due in large part to your efforts.

My experience: I bought a G4 DP/450 about a week ago (good clearance deal), and suffered the kernel panics etc from the start, when online. Since I installed your packaged fix, kernel panics are a thing of the past (plus I can now hear the modem), and the only remaining gripes are the regular -264 Errors.

I religiously sent all my kernel panic records to Apple; FWIW, their (UK) tech support people told me that they are well aware of this problem, and a fix is in the works (although they couldn't give an ETA). I guess the 'fix' in question is in fact your handiwork! I sincerely hope you get some reward from all this..........

Cheers

Ben

Russell Hind
Apr 24, 2001, 02:25 AM

Do these 264 errors also happen with Uniprocessors machines?

Louis

Your patch fixed the KPs on my DP machine, but not the 264 errors. I also have an iMac so I thought I would test for 264 errors on this single processor machine. They are definitely present. 19/20 times I can't even connect. I have 'send echo packets' turned off, but the connection log just shows me sending my user name over and over again (about 20 times) then get the 'no response to 4 echo requests' message and disconnect. I don't even get through the authentication stage. It appears that this problem is elsewhere and not with the serial driver you have patched.

Thanks to your patch, I've now found I can connect better using my DP machine than I can my SP machine!!!

Cheers

Russell

Chris H
Apr 24, 2001, 03:59 AM

I have a G4 450 MP. I have never had any kernal panics under OSX with PPP connect, but the -264 errors are many and often. I installed the patch, and it seems to help some with the -264 errors, but they still happen too often to make this a usable OS for me. One thing that could be unrelated: after installing the patch, I noticed the modem sound worked...

Chris

JHakam
Apr 25, 2001, 01:06 PM

I have been running this patch almost from the day it became available. It has worked much better than the original serial driver. However, I ran into a problem that forced me to reload OSX and in the process of doing so, I discovered I had another problem.

One of the reasons for reloading OSX was because diskcopy would not work and all of my research didn't produce a satisfactory answere. Upon reloading, I used the standard install for the patch and quickly discovered that it didn't work unless I changed the priviladges associated with the extensions folder. What I proceded to do was to copy of the priviladges associated with my OSX partition down through all of my folders and files. And guess what, the patch worked fine. So, all of my problems were solved, right. Wrong! I then discovered that my disk copy problem reared its ugly head again and couldn't use any install that required it.

Apr 25, 2001, 10:04 PM

I tried the patch and saw all but one kernel panic go away, but connections could fail as soon as 1 minute into a PPP session on my DP G4.

Each time I call Apple they send me through more useless crap of tests. They act as if no one is having this problem. I asked the gentleman who was assisting me whether a) he had helped someone before with this problem and b) if he had fixed it. Yes, and no.

So, we disabled one of my two processors. And now I'm posting for the first time here in MacOS X.

FlaSheridn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2001, 02:01 AM

Thanks again for the patch; today I got my first kernel panic since installing it Sunday, while hanging up (below). I'd had three panics in two days without the patch, on my brand-new, cleanly installed dual processor G4 running X.0.1, plus a Keyspan adapter with Classic drivers. FWIW, my modem sound never came back, and DNS sometimes would go mysteriously away, i.e., any host was an unknown host. (Oddly, I'm having similar DNS problems on my work Mac, a single-processor G3 with only an ethernet connection.)
Even before the kernel panic and DNS troubles, though, I was getting lots and lots of 264 disconnect errors. Does anyone know a good way to reconnect automatically? (The PPP chapter in the FreeBSD handbook didn't seem to help :-)
Thanks yet again for the patch; with it, my Mac is (after three years exclusively on Windows) a delight, and almost usable. Without your patch, it would have gone back to the store for a refund.

- - - - -
Unresolved kernel trap(cpu 1): 0x300 Data access DSIR=0x40000000 DAR=0x0000000c PC=0x1543676c, MSR=0x00009030
generating stack trace prior to panic:

backtrace: 0x1543676c 0x15436748 0x000dd274 0x000f5684 0x000fef7c 0x001b4d2c 0x001b95f0 0x001b96e4 0x0009ccce4 0x00098
f40 0x00000000
kernel modules in backtrace: com.apple.nke.SharedIP(1.0)@0x15433000
Memory access exception (1,0,0)

Waiting for remote debugger connection.
Options..... Type
---------------- ----
continue.... 'c'
reboot...... 'r'

[This message has been edited by FlaSheridn (edited 04-26-2001).]

DP User
Apr 27, 2001, 08:07 AM

In frustration waiting for Apple to solve this problem I tried disabling one processor in my 450MHz MP G4 using the method described in the MacOSX forums. Using the standard AppleSCCSerial.kext and built-in modem script I have had no kernel panics and no 264 errors in several hours of internet use, far more time than I have been able to stay connected since March 24. I have noticed no major slowdowns in system access and all else seems normal.
But what a waste of a processor.
Apple must get this fixed immediately.

FlaSheridn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2001, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by DP User:
In frustration waiting for Apple to solve this problem I tried disabling one processor in my 450MHz MP G4 using the method described in the MacOSX forums.
Could you be more specific about where in the thread the instructions are? Doing a search didn�t help; I think I�ve read the entire thread (several hundred screens on my PB 145B�s VT100 screen :-(), but don�t recall seeing them. It was one of the first things I thought about, I�ve had to diable the second processor on my WinNT box. (I�ve been on the Dark Side for three years; I may end up using the WinNT box as just a PPP server for my G4DP, connected via Ethernet.)

------------------
http://pobox.com/~flash

DP User
Apr 27, 2001, 06:15 PM

The thread on Mac OS X is called,
PPP disconnect...a new thread.

Polymorphia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2001, 01:24 PM

I have installed the expiremental 264 patch and am having the same number of 264 errors. The first comming a mere two minutes into connection. I am averaging one every 3-5 minutes.

Sound is working for the first time ever. HTML _seems_ to load quicker.

I have not yet experienced a kernel panic. Before patch I logged a half dozen of them on the OS X usage discussion board. (Louis, I can repost them here if you'd find helpful.) The 264 has been a bigger issue to me.

450_DP "Gigabit Ethernet"
128+128+256
X.0.1 (Build 4L13)
(over 9.1 on 1 partition)
FW Update 4.1.8

------------------
/p

[This message has been edited by Polymorphia (edited 04-28-2001).]
128+128+256 RAM
X.0.3 (over 9.1 on 1 partition)
FW Update 4.1.8

/p

lgerbarg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2001, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Polymorphia:
I have installed the expiremental 264 patch and am having the same number of 264 errors. The first comming a mere two minutes into connection. I am averaging one every 3-5 minutes.

Sound is working for the first time ever. HTML _seems_ to load quicker.

I have not yet experienced a kernel panic. Before patch I logged a half dozen of them on the OS X usage discussion board. (Louis, I can repost them here if you'd find helpful.) The 264 has been a bigger issue to me.

128+128+256
X.0.1 (Build 4L13)
FW Update 4.1.8
I am pretty sure the 264s are out of my hands at the moment, even if they were not I am in the middle of finals and moving and all that fun stuff ;-)

Louis

------------------
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer

Polymorphia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2001, 02:18 PM

I am pretty sure the 264s are out of my hands
Okay, thanks Louis. I'll reconcentrate my efforts to Apple.

------------------
128+128+256 RAM
X.0.1 (Build 4L13)
FW Update 4.1.8

/p
128+128+256 RAM
X.0.3 (over 9.1 on 1 partition)
FW Update 4.1.8

/p

Skooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2001, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by DP User:
The thread on Mac OS X is called,
PPP disconnect...a new thread.

DP ...

Would you, or someone else, be more specific about where the info can be found for disabling one of the processors on a G4/450 DP ... I, too, have looked all over the MacNN Forums for it.

If you could post the exact URL for that page ... or, at least what category it is under. There are several OS X categories listed and many hundreds of threads in each one.

With Louis' patch, I am doing real well running OS X ... I never have kernel panics (but I sure did before I put in Louis' patch!), but I do disconnect frequently.

Also, does anyone know how to lower the volume on the modem dialup after using Louis' patch? Mine is now wide open! I know I can adjust the System volume, but can the modem volume be adjusted down by itself?
--Skooks
Semper fi ...
Mac Marines

DP User
Apr 28, 2001, 04:22 PM

I apologize for not being more specific regarding the location of the thread detailing how to disable one processor in DP machines. It is located at Apple's OSX site: http://www.apple.com/macosx in a thread called "PPP Disconnect...a new thread". I'm using Internet Explorer and can't copy anything but Find should get you to the thread pretty quickly.
I have had only two 264 errors since disabling one processor, both when Classic was running.
Good luck...

Butter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2001, 12:58 AM

OK I lifted the instructions from the os X site...
I haven't tried this and I'm not sure if I'm going to.
So try at your own risk, and good luck.
--
Here is the procedure (the*symbol means to hit RETURN): Reboot and hold down Cmd-Opt+O+F. This boots you into open firmware. Next, type in reset-NVRAM* reset-all* and shut down the machine after things load.

Then boot again after 20 seconds, and boot into Open Firmware

This time, type in setenv boot-args cpus=1* mac-boot*

The space in the first line above is important. This shuts off one of the DP mac processors.

To turn the processor back on, reboot, holding down Cmd-Opt.-O+F and type setenv boot-argscpus=1* mac-boot*

this time leave out the space. [between args and cpus]
--
Remember * means press return.
Cheers,

------------------
-=Butter=-
-=Butter=-

lgerbarg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2001, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Butter:
OK I lifted the instructions from the os X site...
I haven't tried this and I'm not sure if I'm going to.
So try at your own risk, and good luck.
--
Here is the procedure (the*symbol means to hit RETURN): Reboot and hold down Cmd-Opt+O+F. This boots you into open firmware. Next, type in reset-NVRAM* reset-all* and shut down the machine after things load.

The space in the first line above is important. This shuts off one of the DP mac processors.

To turn the processor back on, reboot, holding down Cmd-Opt.-O+F and type setenv boot-argscpus=1* mac-boot*

this time leave out the space. [between args and cpus]
--
Remember * means press return.
Cheers,
I do not think your instructions for re-enaling the second CPU are correct. I think what you would want to do is (using * for return):

setenv boot-args* mac-boot*

This will empty boot-args. What you described will leave the original boot-args in tact, it merely creates a transitory new variable.

I don't have a dual CPU machine, but I do have a copy of IEEE1275 next me, and have read the OS X boot source a few times ;-)

Louis

------------------
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer

Butter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2001, 12:25 PM

thanks once again Louis, you are the man.

to recap for you kiddies at home:
--

[hold down Cmd-Opt+O+F]

To turn the processor back on, reboot, holding down Cmd-Opt.-O+F and type [setenv boot-args* mac-boot*]
--
proceed at your own risk and enjoy !
Cheers,

------------------
-=Butter=-
-=Butter=-

Butter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2001, 01:44 AM

OK so I did it... i rebooted with the one processor hack and it worked, the CPU monitor now only has one row. I have been online for 20 minutes which is a record with the new kext. needless to say no kernel panics and I have modem sound to boot. (To boot with one processor of course.)
cheers,

------------------
-=Butter=-
-=Butter=-

zos
Forum Regular
May 1, 2001, 06:24 PM

Everyone should download and install the 10.0.2 update that was released today. I got it from work in 9.1 and installed it a bit ago and I've been online with no problems - fingers crossed. You can quick link to the update in versiontracker.com's OS X section.

The reason I bring it up is because one of the moderators in Apple's forums posted to install this update and see if it cures our problems. So evidently this is supposed to be the one we've been waiting for!

I left Louis' kext in place before install and I noticed after reboot that the kext has been overwritten with a version 1.0.8 (no beta like in previous Apple builds). I'm not sure what else this fixes, but I assume it also patched other kexts dealing with PPP networking. They mention 'numerous other fixes' or something of the sort and not a single mention of PPP-related issues. Something has definitely been patched that affected PPP now that I think of it because I was running a great program called PPP monitor that showed the bandwidth of upload and download in a floating graph and the program no longer functions after the 10.0.2 update.

While Apple still hasn't ever admitted there was a problem even now at least they're taking secretive steps to fix it.

I'll post back if it doesn't fix things.

Joel Hakam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2001, 09:03 PM

Ok, I've downloaded the 10.0.2 update and is running just fine. Modem sound is now gone. Evidently Apple is using Louis's patch or they came up with one of their own. However, I still get PPP disconnect errors but the PPP monitor seems to run just fine.

If you are running Omniweb I would recommend that you download the latest release. This release 1 for final candidate and can be found on Omni own web site.

lgerbarg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2001, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Joel Hakam:
Ok, I've downloaded the 10.0.2 update and is running just fine. Modem sound is now gone. Evidently Apple is using Louis's patch or they came up with one of their own. However, I still get PPP disconnect errors but the PPP monitor seems to run just fine.

If you are running Omniweb I would recommend that you download the latest release. This release 1 for final candidate and can be found on Omni own web site.
There is a fix for the bug in SU2.

Louis

------------------
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer

zos
Forum Regular
May 1, 2001, 10:07 PM

You're right, PPP monitor is working fine with the update. I guess the reason I thought it wasn't working was because since updating the upload and download activity looks much different. The graph is much less jagged with less activity than there was, at least for me.

But I've had no disconnections since installing the update. I manually disconnected after 3 hours and I've been on another 45 minutes without a disconnection.

I've come to be skeptical even when things are looking good with the PPP issues but so far so good.

Just a rundown of my settings: Apple's 56k v90 script, redial if busy, header compression, and verbose logging the only advanced options clicked on. I've downloaded files like the new OmniWeb and a few other smaller ones, I've been checking email every 10 minutes, and I've been using OmniWeb in combination with carbon IE and classic IE to browse the web. Still no disconnections so far.

Hiramw
May 1, 2001, 10:13 PM

Hello all,

I'm dissappointed 10.0.2 doesn't fix the PPP disconnect problem. It appears 10.0.2 does fix the kernel panic problem, but it's a drag getting disconnected. I will say the disconnects seem very predictable now. I do not get disconnected when browsing the web or checking email. It only appears to happen when downloading large files (>2MB). If I try to download a file, after a 1MB or so I get disconnected with the PPP error 264.

Has anyone else noticed that the disconnects happen when downloading large files?

Louis, care to comment?

Thanks,

Hiram

zos
Forum Regular
May 2, 2001, 12:39 AM

264 rears its very ugly head again.

In addition to that I've start to have problems where after I connect seemingly successfully I cannot load any web pages nor will my email program make connections to my mail server. The internet connect application shows that I'm online but it seems that I am not.

On the whole I've found a few glitches that weren't there before 10.0.2 and it hasn't cured my PPP problems. I'm growing progressively more annoyed.

Joel Hakam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 01:26 AM

There is a fix for the bug in SU2.

Louis
Louis, Would you happen to know were the fix for SU2 can be found?

Joel

lgerbarg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2001, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Joel Hakam:
Louis, Would you happen to know were the fix for SU2 can be found?

Joel
English allows for such semantic ambiguities ;-) I meant that SU2 contains a fix for the kernel panic bug, not that there is an additional fix.

Louis

------------------
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer

Skooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 11:37 AM

English allows for such semantic ambiguities ;-) I meant that SU2 contains a fix for the kernel panic bug, not that there is an additional fix.

Louis
Louis ...

I hope your finals are going well ... and I hope we are not taking up too much of your time with these posts ... but, thanks for listening and responding.
I installed the 10.0.2 Update on my G4/450DP last night. After trying for several hours during the afternoon to download that 15MB package with all the 264 Error disconnects, I called Apple Tech Support to ask how we are suppose to download the fix with the Apple Software Updater when we can't stay connected in OS 10.0.1. His reply: "I don't know!" Finally he turned me over to a very nice young lady who knew more than him ... and, she said she would try to get the 10.0.2 posted so that we could download it in 9.1 ... and shortly thereafter, they did post it. So, I get the sense they are trying to fix our problems.
After installing the update, I restarted and tried to download the iTunes 1.1.1 ... I got about half way and got one of those dreaded 264 disconnects! So, I went to 9.1 and downloaded iTunes and then went to bed.
This morning I have been connected for 1 hour and 10 minutes with no errors ... at least, so far!
I am puzzled why the AppleSCCSerial.kext extension in 10.0.2 is still showing to be Version 1.0.8 ... which is the original version number as found in 10.0.0. I do see the Modification Date change 4/24/01 ... and you say it has been fixed, so I am satisfied it has.
But, the PPP 264 Disconnect part of the problem ... was that something that had to be fixed outside of AppleSCCSerial.kext? If so, do you know that they fixed it ... or, attempted to fix it?
As I write, I just got hit with that dreaded 264 Error ... after being connected 1 hour and 17 minutes! So, now, since updating to 10.0.2, I have been online twice ... and I have had been disconnected with the 264 Error both times!
Thanks again for all your help ... at least I am not having kernel panics!
--Skooks
Semper fi ...
Mac Marines

Joel Hakam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 12:06 PM

Louis
Ok Louis, But I haven't experienced any Kernel Panics under the current 10.0.2 update. I would prefer it stay that way. Thanks for your help.

Andreas Schwerkolt
May 2, 2001, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Hiramw:
Hello all,

I'm dissappointed 10.0.2 doesn't fix the PPP disconnect problem. It appears 10.0.2 does fix the kernel panic problem, but it's a drag getting disconnected. I will say the disconnects seem very predictable now. I do not get disconnected when browsing the web or checking email. It only appears to happen when downloading large files (>2MB). If I try to download a file, after a 1MB or so I get disconnected with the PPP error 264.

Has anyone else noticed that the disconnects happen when downloading large files?

Louis, care to comment?

Thanks,

Hiram

Hello,
same thing as last time: after being connected for some minutes ppp-264 error interrupts the connection.
Holy sh..., Apple doesn't get it!
Andreas

gooz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 08:33 PM

Hello all fellow DP sufferers. Here's my report:
Downloaded update via 9.1, but it was still an ordeal (and I wonder if anyone else noticed download MB difference of 14.9 vs. 15.3 software update offering?). In any event, no kernel panics (thank you Louis) and my 264 disconnects are rarer than before.
But why oh why is there no modem sound? And why doesn't the Internet Connect icon bounce or show a triangle when opening IE, Mail or OmniWeb? And can someone at Apple please tell me why the disconnects after "no response to 4 echo-requests" when I've turned off such a modem option? My only advanced option on is "use verbose logging." And here's the $64,000 question: Why does this happen in the midst of downloading when pbviously a link is active?

Now here's the killer. I went online this morning to check forum feedback. Then I went offline -- or so I thought. I quit my browsers and Internet Connect, then put my silicon crystal ball to sleep. When I woke her up and clicked on Mail app. just to see that the IC icon stayed dormant (which it did), and so I clicked on it only to discover that it had been linked online for almost 8 hrs!!! Of course, it immediately went into disconnect and took 5 retries to connect.
This is ridiculous when the modem self-dials while in the midst of taking a snooze, but How am I to know When there is No Modem Sound and the IC icon doesn't show reactivation, even after I have supposedly quit it?!?! Go figure!

Finally, to Louis: Thanks once more for your efforts, but when you get to Apple I am hoping that you could at least bring some of these oddities to the attention of your fellow software engineers there, and let them know the natives are woefully restless with these screwy inconsistencies.

happy trails...
"It may seem impossible to imagine that a technologically advanced civilization could choose, in essence, to destroy itself, but that is what we are now in the process of doing."

Butter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 10:47 PM

hate to say it but disabling the processor has worked flawlessly.
no panics, no 264s, no multiprocessing.
proof once again that modems are evil.
i guess its a dilemma you all now face, but how many workhorse apps are you really running that are dying to get all symmetrical in os X right now anyway?
choose wisely,

------------------
-=Butter=-
-=Butter=-

biberfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 11:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Butter:
[B]hate to say it but disabling the processor has worked flawlessly.

Indeed, I found nirvana with one processor, but it wasn't perfect. I still got 264 errors (that's why I couldn't use Software Update)... I got a weird thing when I installed 10.0.2, my Connect button won't depress... just blinks at me.

I've given up! I bought a $130 lemon and spent over a month wrestling with these modem issues. Part of it was fun, but the fun has ended when today Apple finally admitted over the phone that:
a) it's an issue, b) the 10.0.2 fix won't solve the problem, and c) no time-frame is in place to fix the said problem, but "We're working on it!"

Since I cannot get a refund and am too poor to sue, I'm giving up, erasing, and will sit idle. I'll still visit here and see how you guys are fairing. But as someone else said on another forum, MacOS X is a nice screen saver.

creative products on
the web - biberfan.com

ids
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2001, 04:36 AM

ARGHHHH! Will someone at Apple wake up to this problem.

Downloaded the 10.0.2 update and installed it ok. over Louis patch...

Ok the kernel panics have stayed away and the 264 disconnects seem less frequent...maybe undefined just because I am afraid to use it for any length of time.

_BUT_ the modem dialing sound has gone again...now in Louis's patch he said the code to enable to sound was from Apples latest code and he got it free. So why can Apple "engineers" not include it...

Please please please, will someone teach them to use their SCM software.

Modem sound is important where folk have metered phone calls and use dial up connections to access the NET....We CANNOT simply allow the machine to dial up when IT pleases and have no warning of that.

On another rant disabling a processor is not a solution to unless they are going to give me a rebate for the processor I cannot use...I bought a DP machine to take advantage of OSX on release.

sebuchen
Forum Regular
May 3, 2001, 09:48 AM

To gooz above... Quitting the dial up application will NOT disconnect you from the internet, never has, never will. The same thing happens in OS 9. When you "quit" the Remote Dialup program, it doesn't disconnect from the internet either. You have to specifically click the disconnect button in either application to make it disconnect.

bemayo
Forum Regular
May 3, 2001, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Hiramw:
It has been my general impression that heavy modem activity accelerates the onset of a 264 disconnect. I kept wondering about the people that said they could stay connected for long periods of time (as compared to me, anyway). It has become evident to me that was probably because I tend to be downloading stuff and browsing multiple pages at the same time. When my usage is lighter, I stay connected longer.

I have not noticed that Update 2.0 has had any effect on this whatsoever (the disconnects, that is).

------------------
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87
IIgs | IIsi | Performa 630/6300 | G3/266 | G4/533x2 | G5/2Gx2 | MacBook 1.83

bemayo
Forum Regular
May 3, 2001, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Butter:
hate to say it but disabling the processor has worked flawlessly.
At this point can we confirm or deny that the 264 disconnects are also related to the dual-processor machines or is it more universal? I tried looking last night for other threads about it, but didn't have much luck.

------------------
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87
IIgs | IIsi | Performa 630/6300 | G3/266 | G4/533x2 | G5/2Gx2 | MacBook 1.83

Forum Links
Forum Rules