Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Gaming on the 24" iMac - Can We Do It?

Gaming on the 24" iMac - Can We Do It?
UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2009, 12:38 PM

So I just got home with a brand new 2.8 Ghz 24" iMac and it is easily the most powerful Mac computer I have ever had. My question is is it powerful enough to game on, and if so what games are available for the mac that I can test on it, are there any "mac only" gaming sites, demo sites, etc.?

Any help from the more experienced would be much appreciated, thanks!
15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina / 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB DDR3 Memory / 256 GB SSD / Backlit Keyboard / OSX El Capitan
Apple iPhone 6+ / 64GB (Silver) / Wi-Fi and AT&T LTE / Apple iPad 3rd Generation / 64GB Wi-Fi
New Apple TV 32GB / New Touchpad Remote / Netflix and Entire App Store (TWiT, YouTube, WatchESPN, TV Networks, Etc.)
Apple iPad Pro / 12.9" Retina Touchscreen / A9X Chip / 4-Speaker High-Fidelity Sound / Smart Keyboard Pro / Apple Pencil

rmiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2009, 03:57 PM

Short answer, yes. You should have no problem with gaming. I run Call of Duty 4 and 5 on one running MS Vista.
Alum 24" Imac 2.8 ghz

ibook_steve
Jan 25, 2009, 05:06 PM

Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 25, 2009, 05:23 PM

I run World of Warcraft on my 2.66 GHz 20" iMac with all the video options turned up and get 30+ FPS. It works just fine.

bazmond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2009, 08:02 PM

I run the Mac version Call Of Duty 4, on a 20", 2.4 GHz, 4GB ram, aluminium Imac. All video options are set to highest level. The game runs great.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2009, 09:51 PM

Yes we can™

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2009, 08:13 AM

Seems insulting to a $2500 computer to ask it to do what a $400 PS3 could do so much better though doesn't it? Or am I off base? But it works great for X-plane although I don't think ANY computer could handle it's highest settings... it's designed to take advantage of the computers we'll have in 10 years or something.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

lenox
Senior User
Jan 28, 2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Seems insulting to a $2500 computer to ask it to do what a $400 PS3 could do so much better though doesn't it? Or am I off base?
Not insulting, as much as it is a testament to the Mac's versatility

I don't know about you, but I'd be pissed if I moved from an apartment to a mansion, only to realize the mansion didn't have a kitchen.
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

UltimaLaw  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Seems insulting to a $2500 computer to ask it to do what a $400 PS3 could do so much better though doesn't it? Or am I off base? But it works great for X-plane although I don't think ANY computer could handle it's highest settings... it's designed to take advantage of the computers we'll have in 10 years or something.
I wasn't asking if I could turn my $2000 dollar work computer into a child's toy, it's just been so long since I've had a high-end Mac I wanted some advice on where the gaming scene has gone and what it has evolved into. I know we Mac owners have more options than a few years ago thus the questions.....thanks everyone for the informative responses, very helpful!
15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina / 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB DDR3 Memory / 256 GB SSD / Backlit Keyboard / OSX El Capitan
Apple iPhone 6+ / 64GB (Silver) / Wi-Fi and AT&T LTE / Apple iPad 3rd Generation / 64GB Wi-Fi
New Apple TV 32GB / New Touchpad Remote / Netflix and Entire App Store (TWiT, YouTube, WatchESPN, TV Networks, Etc.)
Apple iPad Pro / 12.9" Retina Touchscreen / A9X Chip / 4-Speaker High-Fidelity Sound / Smart Keyboard Pro / Apple Pencil

Forum Links
Forum Rules