Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why is Windoze XP so good?

Why is Windoze XP so good?
apollo11
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 02:01 PM

I have finally had to buy a Dell with Windoze XP on it.

2 months ago I bought an 18 inch iMac. It kep crashing and wouldn't take FCP on board despite wiping the HD and re-installing from the reserrector disc and hours on the phone to Apple support on more than 10 occasions. Finally I had to send it back to Apple and they sent it back say nuthin' wrong with it!

Now I have a stable iMac but only after weeks of anguish. This is not the introduction a Newbie should have to Apple( I have had Macs since 1992)

By the way my Dell works perfectly and is stable, faster from sleep and takes about 25 seconds to start from cold.

Why doesn't the iMac have these qualities? Can anyone explain this to me?

I have a horrible feeling that Windoze may be a better product!!! ( I feel a little sick)

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by apollo11:
I have a horrible feeling that Windoze may be a better product!!!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2003, 02:08 PM

because Bill sez so!

Now, back on yer heads!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2003, 02:08 PM

That was my inital thought also. My company had to upgrade the machines with xp pro in it. At first, i thought XP was great, instantly recognized all our printers and network enviroment without rebooting.

But then i realize it was a mess. First you had to install antivirus software, then all of sudden, there were tons of pop up windows left on the desktop even though i did not open IE. But the most important thing was that it would run slower and slower from time to time which i've had no idea why.

Somebody told me that you have to defragment the disk from time to time, and i'll go "wow, this is so 80's"

sideus
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 02:10 PM

( I feel a little sick)
Take two aspirin, call me in the morning.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 02:12 PM

The only thing I like about my windows machine is the restore points. Thats one feature i wish Mac os X had. Other than that i wouldn't call it a better product.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2003, 02:29 PM

By the way my Dell works perfectly and is stable, faster from sleep and takes about 25 seconds to start from cold.

Faster from sleep? My PB is wide awake when I've finished opening the lid.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2003, 02:39 PM

Now I have a stable iMac but only after weeks of anguish. This is not the introduction a Newbie should have to Apple( I have had Macs since 1992)
You wanna tell us how you fixed it? If you did it on your own it seems that Apple was right about it being fine.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 03:16 PM

what is an 18 inch iMac? Was it a prototype? Maybe this was why it had so many problems
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2003, 03:41 PM

2 months ago I bought an 18 inch iMac. It kep crashing and wouldn't take FCP on board despite wiping the HD and re-installing from the reserrector disc and hours on the phone to Apple support on more than 10 occasions. Finally I had to send it back to Apple and they sent it back say nuthin' wrong with it!

I have a horrible feeling that Windoze may be a better product!!! ( I feel a little sick)
Don't you think you're a bit young to be trolling like all alone on the internet? An 18" iMac? Don't you think you should have at least checked what the different sizes iMacs are available in first? Couldn't get FCP on board? had to wipe the disk because you were unable to install FCP? "Reserrector" disk? Are you sure you're old enough to use a computer?

Funnily enough I had a Dell Inspiron laptop with Win XP as well, and a fast one at that - 1.8GHz. It took a lot longer than 25 seconds from power up to being able to click anything, more like 2 to 3 minutes, and coming back from sleep took a lot longer than the 1 or 2 seconds it takes OSX.

Perhaps you are sick.
weird wabbit

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2003, 03:50 PM

You have failed the Internet.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2003, 03:57 PM

Who wants to bet on weather or not the guy with the 18" iMac actually paid for his copy of FCP
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 04:03 PM

Hey guys,

Look, I love Macs,

I don't actually need a computer for much. It is for the most part an expensive toy. Macs are so, so stylish, I use them for much the same reason some one uses a Mercedes to get from A-B rather than a Ford.

But, if the Merc guy gets in a Ford and wonders why it exceeds the Merc in some areas(and Fords do!)then one thinks have Merc become a little complaisant?

I heard than Windoze gets slower with time, All my Macs have only been slowed by using upgraded apps that were bulkier than earlier versions.

I fixed my Mac by doing a complex extraction of FCP from about 15 places and then after a few more days deleting my home Library folder and replacing it with a new one.

I do not think it is possible to wipe all parts of an app from a windoze disc, so Macs win again.

I am an early adopter and will always have a Mac as my main machine.

I plan to buy a second USB Apple key board and mouse and an Apple display that will plug into my Windoze machine so I don't feel too guilty(is this over the top?).

ambush
Banned
Dec 27, 2003, 04:05 PM

If the Dell fits your needs, that's cool.

Congrats... I mean I will prolly do the same thing one the or the other.

I'm personally sick and tired of paying too much for candy machines.

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Who wants to bet on weather or not the guy with the 18" iMac actually paid for his copy of FCP

I can gaurantee to you that I did pay for FCP, so strike me dead any gods or Steve Jobs ( or is that ther same thing?). Apple can contact me anytime to check the reciept and serial number

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

Yep, they are pricey, but they are so cool looking. It's like a pretty girl on your arm!

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
Don't you think you're a bit young to be trolling like all alone on the internet? An 18" iMac? Don't you think you should have at least checked what the different sizes iMacs are available in first? Couldn't get FCP on board? had to wipe the disk because you were unable to install FCP? "Reserrector" disk? Are you sure you're old enough to use a computer?

Perhaps you are sick.
Hey man, Just what drugs are you on?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2003, 04:16 PM

Hmm, my Mac has done nothing but get *faster* with every upgrade of the OS.

Your sarcasm is leaking, mister. Plug it.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2003, 04:22 PM

Microsoft needs a new operating system like Apple did from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Microsoft needs a new operating system like Apple did from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X.
I hear that's coming in 2004, err, I mean 2006. No wait, 2008.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 27, 2003, 04:38 PM

It's not. Next, please.

Seriously, though ... your "empiric sample" consists of 1 Mac and 1 Dell, and from that you deduct that XP is the better OS? Have you tried installing/using/uninstalling a comparably complex app (e.g., After Effects) on your Dell? For each OS X problem, I'll tell you 10 XP horror stories.

Furthermore, reading the description of your problems it seems quite obvious that you are not very familiar with either OS X and/or FCP. Without any implied sarcasm, please take this piece of advice - RT(F)M.

ambush
Banned
Dec 27, 2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Hmm, my Mac has done nothing but get *faster* with every upgrade of the OS.

Your sarcasm is leaking, mister. Plug it.
Cool.

I've seen game performance go down by at least 50% in frame rates.

But you're lucky man..

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2003, 05:01 PM

Cool.

I've seen game performance go down by at least 50% in frame rates.

But you're lucky man..
Not I. Maybe there's something wrong with your machine? Fresh install maybe? Buy a PC or a PS2 even instead of "gaming" on an iBook? Continue rolling your eyes at everyone and wait for someone to care? Your call.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2003, 05:03 PM

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 05:39 PM

Continue rolling your eyes at everyone and wait for someone to care? Your call.
Hee hee. Lets get rid of the roll eye smiley for a week, see if he can manage to express himself still

(even better, replace it with the happy face!)

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 06:01 PM

Where's the Troll image and the lock?

Oh yeah, I might as well

+1

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2003, 06:46 PM

None at the moment. I'd still like to know how you managed to get an 18" iMac. Did you stretch it perhaps? You obviously have never installed FCP, since no application requires the removal of the whole Library folder. And I would love to hear exactly how you supposedly extracted FCP from 15 places?

Tell me about your drug habit.
weird wabbit

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2003, 07:24 PM

Bye! *waves*

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2003, 10:51 PM

My machine has yet to dispense candy, but I would like to see this feature in 10.4�if Apple gets the drivers right and doesn't include faulty candy logic boards, of course.

ambush
Banned
Dec 27, 2003, 11:12 PM

My machine has yet to dispense candy, but I would like to see this feature in 10.4�if Apple gets the drivers right and doesn't include faulty candy logic boards, of course.
Like I said previously.

Get

a

life.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2003, 11:14 PM

Like I said previously.

Get

a

life.
I don't understand.

ambush
Banned
Dec 27, 2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Bye! *waves*

ambush
Banned
Dec 27, 2003, 11:17 PM

I don't understand.
get out more.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2003, 11:20 PM

Like I said previously.

Get

a

life.
No offense (really no offense, but I saw your provocation in the other thread, and it really wasn't warranted), but you're the one posting on a Saturday night (the kettle is black, indeed)�and on that note, I have to get going, have a nice night, all!
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

ambush
Banned
Dec 27, 2003, 11:21 PM

Not I. Maybe there's something wrong with your machine? Fresh install maybe? Buy a PC or a PS2 even instead of "gaming" on an iBook? Continue rolling your eyes at everyone and wait for someone to care? Your call.
I paid a lot of money for apple computers in the past and hell, I have the right to ****ing complain, ok?

Yes OS X is slow for OpenGL (no Idea why tho)

take examples like Diablo 2,
Halo,
Quake,

and the list goes on.

It's a FACT.

Deny it all you want, defend your company like a freakin' fanboy, I don't give a ****.

Get more fat and reply to every complaint made toward Apple computers. If that's life for you, then do this ad vitam eternam. That's all I had to say, and you're on my ignore list now, you made it. You're the first one there, but I know you don't care.

Admins: lock this thread already.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2003, 11:23 PM

get out more.
I still don't understand. You told me I needed to get a life because I posted a response to a fake screenshot of iTunes. This some sixteen-year-old superiority thing, telling people to get lives over the Internet? This coming from the kid whining about his iBook online? Or that you're sick of buying "candy machines" as if you were forced to purchase the friggin' thing in the first place? I know your deal, youngen.

Get laid, get a life, and get out more? You must be kidding.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2003, 11:25 PM

I paid a lot of money for apple computers in the past and hell, I have the right to ****ing complain, ok?

Yes OS X is slow for OpenGL (no Idea why tho)

take examples like Diablo 2,
Halo,
Quake,

and the list goes on.

It's a FACT.

Deny it all you want, defend your company like a freakin' fanboy, I don't give a ****.

Get more fat and reply to every complaint made toward Apple computers. If that's life for you, then do this ad vitam eternam. That's all I had to say, and you're on my ignore list now, you made it. You're the first one there, but I know you don't care.

Admins: lock this thread already.
Sure you can complain, but you don't have be an insulting asshole about it. Everywhere. See ya, kid.

Now I'm going to eat, consume, and become fatter.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2003, 01:29 AM

Go MindFad, its yo birthday!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 01:32 AM

Sure you can complain, but you don't have be an insulting asshole about it. Everywhere.
Agreed!

Now I'm going to eat, consume, and become fatter.
Hey, me too!

ambush
Banned
Dec 28, 2003, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Agreed!

Hey, me too!
I can't wait for your new sig.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2003, 01:37 AM

You might have had a bad Mac, people will get deffective PCs and Macs, and Windows XP will crash alot too if the PC is defective. For the boot up time Windows is a product that has been refined for 10 years and optimized for fast bootups and stuff, MacOS X is basically a first generation OS with 3 refinments to it and Linux based OS have always had a long boot up time. MacOS X is actually very fast compared to regular linux. It keeps getting faster and faster with each release and it will prob have a boot up time as fast as XP in another year.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2003, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Go MindFad, its yo birthday!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2003, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
MacOS X is basically a first generation OS with 3 refinments to it and Linux based OS have always had a long boot up time. MacOS X is actually very fast compared to regular linux. It keeps getting faster and faster with each release and it will prob have a boot up time as fast as XP in another year.
And Mac OS X has actually no relation to Linux. Completely different kernels.

Look at FreeBSD and NetBSD for OS X's cousins.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2003, 03:29 AM

but it's not..........so why are you asking? it just plain isn't.
One day i'll convert all my friends to macs....2 so far...and working on a third.

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Dec 28, 2003, 04:57 AM

I have a horrible feeling that Windoze may be a better product!!!
From my experence in windows (95 - XP) I don't believe it is, I converted to apple in March of this year and I have never looked back.

If you feel Windows is a better product, then I guess you are happy with it, so continue using it.

But where did you get a 18" imac? I am stuck with 17"...
I want my extra inch.

- ZoOm ZOoM

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 06:40 AM

None at the moment. I'd still like to know how you managed to get an 18" iMac. Did you stretch it perhaps? You obviously have never installed FCP, since no application requires the removal of the whole Library folder. And I would love to hear exactly how you supposedly extracted FCP from 15 places?

Ok so a typo, I meant 17" why go on about it?

Go look at the Apple support site to see how you have to wipe off FCP. I aint kiddin'

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 06:45 AM

PS I ONLY ever give drugs.

Helps cure my patients

Dr. Sahal (UK)

Back-to-Mac
Dec 28, 2003, 06:57 AM

Generally speaking OSX Panther and WinXP are now on par with each other. Some things I really like about XP and some things I hate about XP. The same can be said for OSX.

No matter if you buy a wintel machine or an AppleMac, you do get the odd lemon. Apollo 11, excercise your statutory rights (the Apple mac does not do the job it was bought / intended for) and get your money back. Pay a visit to the Citizen's Advice first then be assertive with Apple and get your money back.

I have used wintel and Apple for a long time and had a spell with Wintel only boxes for a while before I returned to Apple. The bottom line is the Apple charges too much for their hardware and that's my only gripe with them. Other than that Apple is fine and so is a wintel box running XP.

apollo11  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by Back-to-Mac:

No matter if you buy a wintel machine or an AppleMac, you do get the odd lemon. Apollo 11, excercise your statutory rights (the Apple mac does not do the job it was bought / intended for) and get your money back. Pay a visit to the Citizen's Advice first then be assertive with Apple and get your money back.

The bottom line is the Apple charges too much for their hardware and that's my only gripe with them. Other than that Apple is fine and so is a wintel box running XP.
Good advice, thanks. Apples are pricey . Apple seem to think we Brits don't notice they just switch � signs for $ signs! But does anything available look as good as any Mac?

My Mac is now very steady and only Netscape 7.1 and Safari 1.0(when is that going to updated?) "quit unexpectedly" occasionally and then only in the last 48 hours ( when I was on the Irobotnow.com website. So I a blaming the website as otherwise it has been ok.

I know of people "acquiring software" that is perhaps incomplete or copied. They seem to have problems more than me. But even in the early 1990's when I had problems with Os 7.1 I was asked to do Os reinstalls-- with 15 floppies! Took an age

I only ever buy software from the Apple Store and then I get great support eventually, when I get to speak to a human. The support is excellent and my hand is held until the problem is sorted. As in any profession some of the support staff are better diagnosticians than others. With FCP ( which only has 90 days support by the way!!) one super knowledgable Irish lady said " that's clearly a home library problem, replace it by.....etc" and lo and behold, sorted. Prior to that I was asked to extract FCP using the print out that was like a Moon landing check list!

I will be sticking with Mac but Apple need to iunderstand that Windoze is so good that switchers will become fewer than before unless Macs are reliable and more powerful(can't hope for cheaper as Steve Jobs expects us to pay for the Insanly Great stuff he shepards out)

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2003, 08:39 AM

I will be sticking with Mac but Apple need to iunderstand that Windoze is so good that switchers will become fewer than before unless Macs are reliable and more powerful
Troll.

You're a doctor, supposedly, so stop griping about the cost and just be happy you didn't have to pay in installments for your Mac like some of these other people.

I like OS X and so I use it. Do I hate XP, no. But it is more problematic and it does require more upkeep to make sure the OS is optimized than X has been more me. Actually, more than even 9.x was for me.

XP is not "so good" its just decent. Its a huge improvement over 98/ME/2K but it is about as good as 10.0 was on the Mac platform. It shows promise but its not quite there yet.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules