Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Would you buy an iBox or similar?... Why?

View Poll Results: Would you buy an iBox or similar?... Why?
Poll Options:
yes, no matter who makes it 11 votes (33.33%)
yes, but only if Apple makes it 9 votes (27.27%)
no, I would rather pay more for an iMac 4 votes (12.12%)
no, I have no need 9 votes (27.27%)
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll
Would you buy an iBox or similar?... Why?
graphics84
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 06:40 PM

So I'm probably just as tired of the iBox crap as everyone else yet I still love the idea... and I've been bouncing it off my friends...

most people would love one as a second home unit...

so my poll is based on this feed back I've gotten

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2003, 07:23 PM

I said no, I would rather buy from Apple because the iBox is way too much for a barebones box, and after you configure it to match Apples offerings you will have spent as much if not more.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 08:09 PM

I've read too many tidbits, including the one's saying that it's not officialy supported by Apple to buy one.

iamnid
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 11:43 PM

they aren't fast enough.

kupan787
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 12:22 AM

I said no, I would rather buy from Apple because the iBox is way too much for a barebones box, and after you configure it to match Apples offerings you will have spent as much if not more.
I bet it wont be more than an Apple box. Lets see:

base iBox - $300 (he quoted $250-$350 so lets go middle)
512MBs of memory - $80
60GB HD - $90
ATI Radeon 8500 - $100
Apple keyboard/mouse - $120 (you can save more by getting non apple here...)
Combo Drive - $70 (from newegg)
1GHz processor - $299 (single, and probably not best deal)

Total = $989

And this is all assuming you aren't buying this as an upgrade, and you can strip out your old mac. Also this mac gives you two PCI slots, and room for up to 4 sticks of RAM. All on a gig-ethernet board! All this is something the iMac/eMac can't offer, and this price sure beats the tower.

I also can't wait to see if OWC packages some (which I believe he said they would, or he would), and as such they could get parts cheaper (since they are buying more than one), so this price might be on the higher end.

*Monitor not added in, as you would have to buy one for the tower or for this.

They aren't fast enough
What were you expecting, for them to surpass Apples machines, when they are using the same parts? Be realistic, he says he will be offerening processors up to dual 1.33GHz...

superlarry
Senior User
Apr 25, 2003, 09:51 AM

my choice is "no, i'd rather pay LESS for an iMac".
good job, kupan787 - i did a comparison almost identical to that one on slashdot when they had a story on this.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by superlarry:
my choice is "no, i'd rather pay LESS for an iMac".
good job, kupan787 - i did a comparison almost identical to that one on slashdot when they had a story on this.
Yeah because everybody reads slashdot

TheRoadWarrior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2003, 12:14 AM

The idea is you can save money if....and this is a very big IF here....if you have the spare parts to put into the machine.

If you have to end up buying a new CPU, memory, video card, hard drive, CD/DVD/CDRW, etc. then you won't likely come out ahead.

BUT.....

It does give you a certain satisfaction of saying that you customized it whether you do it all yourself or buy a barebones from someone and finish it up.

My whole idea from the perspective in which I published my article on doing this last September at MacOPZ.com was to approach it from the viewpoint of a potential PC user having some parts left over from some PC build and wanting to get into experimentation and learning to use MacOS X, for example. Obviously, if you don't have the parts and know-how to put into such a project, then, you won't really save any money versus simply buying a complete used G4 or even a new one.

I know alot of PC users who would like to use OS X but can't justify paying the high cost associated with a system from Apple simply to try out another OS. The typical DIY'er never buys even a Dell or other name brand PC simply because such a person want to build a system they can call "their own." Plus, it's just a lot of damn fun when you get into the the other aspects of it.

carnagex2000
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2003, 03:40 AM

what about the Crib thats out now? (same guy who is doing the iBox)

Prices aren't to bad.

Specs/prices:
http://www.2khappyware.com/order/
Photos:
http://www.2khappyware.com/corecrib.html

Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 02:53 PM

I think this is a great idea, if a little expensive. I just bought a mid-tower barebones PC kit for $200: Athlon XP 1700 CPU, 400W power supply, 256MB DDR RAM, Biostar mobo, 4x AGP slot, 3 PCI slots, USB 2 (front and back), 4 front bays, 5 or 6 hard drive bays, 10/100 ethernet, built in audio and video. Again, only $200. And it's upgradable to an Athlon XP 2600 (200/266 FSB).

The iCrib and iBox can't touch that, and it's a shame. I'd love to know what this guy's profit margins are. Actually, I'd like a full cost breakdown on what he's selling. Where is he getting the motherboards and what do they cost? Why are PPC daughtercards so much more expensive than PC CPU upgrades?

But I would love to have a chassis that I could use to create a set-top box. I want an MP3 jukebox with video out of the iTunes effects stuff. I want it controlled with a UHF remote (no IR). I want it networked with my LAN to be the central MP3 file server. And I want a big flourescent display for ID3 tag info (with dim setting). I could probably do at least some of that with an iBox, but for $350+, I may as well just get myself a slimP3.

carnagex2000
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2003, 02:21 AM

Or you could hook up a Rev.2 TIVO to your Mac and have access to your iphoto and itunes libraries.

digi-j
Apr 27, 2003, 05:48 AM

www.2khappyware.com hasn't changed for a loooong time with plenty of empty pages except the one that asks for your money. The CoreCrib page that states "First 100 orders are expected to ship within 2 weeks. We will update this page daily" has yet to be updated...

many people flamed me for calling it a scam, but so far the iBox and the CoreCrib have been nothing but stale pages on a little website that hasn't been updated in two weeks.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2003, 06:08 AM

i think the iBox shape would be cool as a set top box, but it wouldnt work for me as a PC. that, and im happy with my dual 867.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

slider
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 10:44 AM

Once again a loaded poll, "no, I would rather pay more for an iMac", come on. How about no, I would rather buy an iMac because I would not be sure about service, quality, or warranty, or even longivity of the company. Are the iBox folks going to be around in two years? So no, I don't want to pay more for an iMac, but I also wouldn't want to take a chance with this company.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 27, 2003, 02:13 PM

The page with the shipping status has been updated. It now says:
First 100 orders are expected to ship APRIL 28th. We will update this page daily.
For those who have all the needed spare parts to complete a CoreCrib, the extra $350 over a CPU upgrade card would allow you to keep your old box functional. Perhaps as a DC crunch box with occasional other duties.

I'm waiting to see if the company is for real before forming an opinion.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 05:38 PM

Has anybody here given these guys any money?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 01:19 AM

Feh... who would spend $120 on a keyboard + mouse combo? Get a nice quality MS Blue or Logitech MX500 for $30, and a $40 Mac-layout USB keyboard from Macally or Kensington. Heck, if you're going for low cost, you could even get a cheap Logitech optical mouse for $13, and a basic Windows-layout USB keyboard for $11.

Not to knock Apple's Pro Keyboard and Mouse, they are really nice, but I don't think they're worth $60 each. I mean, they're just a keyboard, and a mouse.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

bousozoku
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2003, 11:11 AM

Although I'd like a compatible box, without a licensing agreement with Apple, the iBox is dead illegal. I have a PowerComputing PowerCenter, which is a legal clone, and it was a great machine for the time. It was much more than Apple offered at that price point.

I'm certain that Apple could offer something similar, if they wanted to do that. Still, the have technology that they don't want to share.
folding@home is good for you.

digi-j
Apr 28, 2003, 03:41 PM

also for $350 you can go on eBay and get an Apple mainboard and case for about $350- what's the point in getting a CoreCrib? You can even get a complete G4 PowerMac at around 400mhz for under $500.

Forum Links
Forum Rules