Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard System Requirements

Leopard System Requirements (Page 2)
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 04:18 AM

I find "at least 256 MB of RAM" silly, kinda asking for trouble.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
That's a pretty substantially jump from built-in Firewire for Tiger to G4 or better for Leopard. I suppose Apple figures that since most of the defective iceBook G3s it continued to sell for so long are dead and gone by now, it does not have to care about G3 support at this point. At this rate 10.6 will list the G5 as a minimum requirement.
I think the PowerBooks stayed with the G4 too long to make it practical for Apple to say "G5 and Intel only" for 10.6. With Apple's 1-2 year release cycle for OSs, that would put a 2-3 year lifespan on some of the PowerBooks.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
I find "at least 256 MB of RAM" silly, kinda asking for trouble.
More like 768Mb or 1Gb.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 05:59 PM

6 GB? That is about double a typical Tiger install (before stripping unused lproj files). I hope the installer doesn't load all of the Intel bits into a PPC install and vice versa.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
6 GB? That is about double a typical Tiger install (before stripping unused lproj files). I hope the installer doesn't load all of the Intel bits into a PPC install and vice versa.
It wouldn't completely surprise me if the dev preview version did.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2006, 12:11 AM

I imagine the G3 600Mhz and up will be the cut off. Frankly a 900Mhz iBook I had runs nearly as fast as my 1Ghz PowerBook and there are some slow G4s out there. I don't think all G3s will be cut out.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 08:18 AM

In terms of a software product in its entirety, a Universal binary doesn't take up a great deal more disk space than PPC-only or Intel-only.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 01:42 PM

Nooo.. my iBook G3 can't run it!

My iBook is much newer than my G4 tower was, and the G4 would've ran Leopard like a dream!

Oh well, i've got my Mac Pro... shipping on the 20th of september.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 26, 2006, 02:18 PM

As Moose said, UB code is only trivially larger. The vast majority of the space taken in an application is not for code, but for resources like images, language resources and .nib files.

I sure hope Apple releases it as UB only; having to maintain multiple installs is a potential deal-breaker for institutional use.

tooki

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2006, 02:24 PM

I'm sure they will considering that OS X Server is now only available as a UB.
Vandelay Industries

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 02:37 PM

But installing two archs (frameworks and everything) for the entire system would be quite a waste of space.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2006, 04:34 PM

There may be an option not to install Rosetta or any PPC code.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 07:59 PM

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Leopard ran well on the later G3 iBooks (even if it had to be XpostFacto-ed).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 23, 2006, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
I imagine the G3 600Mhz and up will be the cut off.
I guess you missed this post.

Originally Posted by Salty
Frankly a 900Mhz iBook I had runs nearly as fast as my 1Ghz PowerBook and there are some slow G4s out there. I don't think all G3s will be cut out.
Go to this page and try to play the 41 MB 480p video on your 900 MHz iBook. Then try running it on your 1 GHz PowerBook. Better yet, try running it on an 800 MHz PowerBook.

I think all G3s (officially) will be excluded from the Leopard love. Now, a G4 450 is slow too, but it at least has all the right parts.

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Considering the hardware is 4 years old by the time 10.5 ships that isn't a huge surprise.

Strangely enough my 6 year old G4 Cube can run it.
Yeah, 'tis nice the Cube is included, given its age. I'm a little bit surprised actually, since I had guessed that a Quartz Extreme compatible GPU was going to be a requirement. I am a little disappointed though that a 4 year old machine (G3 iBook) isn't supported. But them's the breaks... I wonder if Leopard is truly being written in such a fashion that just assumes a SIMD-capable chip is present. It will be interesting to see what happens with Leopard transferred over to a G3 machine. Will it just run slowly? Or will some parts freak right out and crash/kernel panic?

Also, if Leopard truly is resolution independent, I'm guessing (with no inside knowledge, or even knowledge enough to really make an educated guess) that it would be impossibly slow without Altivec/SSE.

P.S. My Cube G4 1.7 with DVD drive passes the requirements with flying colours. I was readying this trusty little guy to be sold, and in fact I had just installed OS 9.2.2 on it for potential old-school buyers, but I'm tempted to just keep it now just to play around with it in Leopard.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2006, 10:40 PM

IMHO, those are rather reasonable system requirements.

The only people that should be upset are the Pre Oct. 2003 iBook users. It's only 3.5 years and they are left out of the OS X upgrade love... but what do you expect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules