Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cool Leopard features that the iPhone could use

Cool Leopard features that the iPhone could use
kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 09:39 AM

I saw a couple of nifty things in Steve's keynote about Leopard that would be awesome if they showed up in the iPhone.

1) Quick Look. Everyone wants to know if the iPhone can open Word, Excel, PDFs, etc. Well, Quick Look uses a plugin architecture so that Leopard can display any document that a developer has made a plugin for and Steve showed us Excel docs and PDFs. This could be very cool on the iPhone. No editing, but viewing of any doc out there.

2) Back to My Mac. How about an iPhone app that took advantage of the Back to My Mac feature so that it always knows how to contact any of your Macs. You could then browse them and even view docs (see #1). In version 2 of the iPhone when battery power is boosted, you could even stream your tunes from your home computer without having to have all the songs taking up space on your iPhone (okay, maybe version 3).

Since the iPhone is running Leopard, I thought these might be technologies from OSX that would make the iPhone cool. Anyone see any other Leopard stuff that would fit in nicely?

kman

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 09:51 AM

Quick Look would not be terribly useful on the iPhone for one reason: The phone has no visible file system. There is nothing to Quick Look at.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 09:56 AM

I thought the word on the street is that the current iPhone OS is based on Tiger and not Leopard. I have nothing to back that up, it's just something I read recently on the web somewhere that II can't seem to find now ;-)

And Chuckit, that doesn't mean there is nothing to Quick Look at, if someone emails me a Word document, can I view it on the iPhone?
-- Jason

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 10:26 AM

I was under the impression the iPhone was running 10.5 since it relies heavily on Core Animation which is a 10.5 only feature.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jasong View Post
And Chuckit, that doesn't mean there is nothing to Quick Look at, if someone emails me a Word document, can I view it on the iPhone?
Precisely.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2007, 10:40 AM

It's gotta be running Leopard and Safari 3, that's partly why Safari is being ported toWindows, right?

I totally agree about Quick Look, that would totally cement iPhone's place in the smartphone market and make people less likely to dismiss it as a mere consumer gizmo.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 03:03 AM

Great idea. Hopefully some engineers in Cupertino are on it already.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules