Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 75)
SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 20, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Um, so why do the humans believe the claim that the 3s can identify the final 5? Why do they even entertain that story?
Kara talked to the Hybrid and the Hybrid said the 3 would reveal the 5. Kara believes it. And that's good enough for Adama (and almost good enough for the President.)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 20, 2008, 10:13 PM

Hmmmm. Sounds like Six is pregnant with Tigh's little baby.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 21, 2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Hmmmm. Sounds like Six is pregnant with Tigh's little baby.
.. one thing, though I agree completely, is this:

Of all the things having babies in these episodes, it's mostly just the cylons. Yet it were the cylons who couldn't have babies and were doing that research thingy with pregnant women on that planet..

Seems to me the cylons can easily have kids, but the humans can't

“Building Better Worlds”

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 10:15 AM

I did find it a bit strange how Tye knew how Cylons resurect in bathtubs. Has he ever seen one?

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I did find it a bit strange how Tye knew how Cylons resurect in bathtubs. Has he ever seen one?
That's a very good point.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
That's a very good point.
I'm sure it is just a mistake and not a plot secret or anything but they are usually pretty good with continuity.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 10:48 AM

I'm sure it is just a mistake and not a plot secret or anything but they are usually pretty good with continuity.
I'm thinking the same, but I wonder if it's not more of the final 4 realizing more of their cylon side.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 11:27 AM

I'm thinking the same, but I wonder if it's not more of the final 4 realizing more of their cylon side.
Meh, I doubt it. Tye also had admiral pips on his collar a couple episodes ago. Mistakes happen.. like how Roslin remembered seeing Baltar in the Caprica Market with 6 before the attack even though she was on BSG for the ceremonies at the time. That one really bugged me.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 11:38 AM

Meh, I doubt it. Tye also had admiral pips on his collar a couple episodes ago. Mistakes happen.. like how Roslin remembered seeing Baltar in the Caprica Market with 6 before the attack even though she was on BSG for the ceremonies at the time. That one really bugged me.
I thought she was on Caprica for a visit with the doctor? No?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 11:57 AM

I thought she was on Caprica for a visit with the doctor? No?
Not at that time. RDM even admitted on the podcast that he messed it up.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 12:30 PM

Not at that time. RDM even admitted on the podcast that he messed it up.
Dang. I never would've known if you hadn't said anything, though. I'm guessing most people don't notice it either.

Visnaut
Senior User
May 21, 2008, 12:41 PM

I did find it a bit strange how Tigh knew how Cylons resurect in bathtubs. Has he ever seen one?
He probably hasn't seen one, but given how they've had several cylons in captivity now, including Sharon and Caprica-6, I think it's pretty safe to assume it's information that's been gleaned from interrogations, and divulged to senior staff. Know thy enemy.

What bothers me more about continuity is the introduction of the Resurrection Hub itself. Back during the Resurrection Ship story arc, it seemed like taking out the ship set the cylons back for a few months, with the Raiders unable to fight using their normal tactics.

Now with the Hub, it seems like there's an entire network of resurrection ships that all need to be controlled centrally for some reason. If that was the case, then why couldn't they have reassigned another resurrection ship from the network to trail the fleet after they destroyed the first one? After all, what the hell else are the cylons so occupied with? Why do they need resurrection ships where their people aren't actively engaged in combat?

I guess the easy explanation is that the Hub is a recent addition to the Cylon fleet, but it still doesn't make sense that they would hinge their entire ability to resurrect on something that has a single failure point. It also doesn't make sense that it would be permanent. I'm sure the cylons could rebuild the Hub if they wanted to.

Oh well, it's best to just ignore these things and continue watching the show for what it is.
( Last edited by Visnaut; May 21, 2008 at 12:50 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 12:54 PM

I don't really understand the hub either but I still look forward to seeing them attack it. If they do manage to retrieve a diana and then nuke the hub that would mean there is one and only Diana forever cuz it is not like they are going to unbox 5000 of them just to ask who the final 5 are.

So how many episodes are airing this half? 8 or 10?

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 01:44 PM

I don't really understand the hub either but I still look forward to seeing them attack it. If they do manage to retrieve a diana and then nuke the hub that would mean there is one and only Diana forever cuz it is not like they are going to unbox 5000 of them just to ask who the final 5 are.

So how many episodes are airing this half? 8 or 10?
Just 8, then a break, then 10 more to finish it up.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 01:52 PM

Just 8, then a break, then 10 more to finish it up.
What I thought there was 20 episodes this season not 18!! Dammit!

I guess Razor counts as 2.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 02:00 PM

What I thought there was 20 episodes this season not 18!! Dammit!

I guess Razor counts as 2.
Maybe the 8th is a 2 hour ep (so counting for two eps) and I'm guessing the finale will be a 2 hour ep as well. That would make 20.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 02:03 PM

Maybe the 8th is a 2 hour ep (so counting for two eps) and I'm guessing the finale will be a 2 hour ep as well. That would make 20.
I'm pretty sure I remember them saying that Razor counts as 2 episodes which I guess is fine as it had a bigger budget.

Can't wait for Caprica to start even though I am sure it won't be as cool. I like my spaceships.

reader50
Administrator
May 21, 2008, 02:26 PM

I did find it a bit strange how Tigh knew how Cylons resurect in bathtubs. Has he ever seen one?
From the time on New Caprica, all the people on the ground will be familiar with Cylon resurrection. It's probably come up in conversation with the occupiers many times. Also, it would be detailed in Athena's report after she retrieved Hera.

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
What bothers me more about continuity is the introduction of the Resurrection Hub itself. Back during the Resurrection Ship story arc, it seemed like taking out the ship set the Cylons back for a few months, with the Raiders unable to fight using their normal tactics.

Now with the Hub, it seems like there's an entire network of resurrection ships that all need to be controlled centrally for some reason. If that was the case, then why couldn't they have reassigned another resurrection ship from the network to trail the fleet after they destroyed the first one? After all, what the hell else are the cylons so occupied with? Why do they need resurrection ships where their people aren't actively engaged in combat?
This one bothered me too, from the moment I heard of it. From deduction, Cylon resurrection works on Jump technology. Which limits the effect to ~5 LY. A central system isn't necessary, and could not work because of range issues. Which implies that each Resurrection Ship functions independently.

While it should make for some good-looking episodes, the writers should not have gone this way. The only sensible answer is the Hub is where they grow new bodies. That it doesn't actually regulate the network so much as restock individual Resurrection Ships.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
From the time on New Caprica, all the people on the ground will be familiar with Cylon resurrection. It's probably come up in conversation with the occupiers many times. Also, it would be detailed in Athena's report after she retrieved Hera.
I would think she'd tell them all about it going back to her first arrival on Galactica. It would certainly be one of the first questions I'd ask her during de-briefing ("so what's this whole resurrection process like? what are its limitations? does it hurt?" etc).

This one bothered me too, from the moment I heard of it. From deduction, Cylon resurrection works on Jump technology. Which limits the effect to ~5 LY. A central system isn't necessary, and could not work because of range issues. Which implies that each Resurrection Ship functions independently.

While it should make for some good-looking episodes, the writers should not have gone this way. The only sensible answer is the Hub is where they grow new bodies. That it doesn't actually regulate the network so much as restock individual Resurrection Ships.
There's a ton of technologies that might be required behind the scenes, it might not be as simple as taking a chunk of data and shoving it into a new body. They might do all kinds of things with the data first, software or hardware-wise, that could explain why it needs to be done at a central hub. That, or it could be that the actual process the resurrection ships carry out is limited by some kind of strange resource that comes from the hub (also possibly software or hardware). Maybe it's some different sort of hybrid that drives the process, and that hybrid only lives for a few weeks and needs to constantly be resupplied from the hub. Since we know so little about what makes resurrection possible in the first place, there's enough wiggle-room to make almost anything a requirement for it continuing to work.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 24, 2008, 03:34 PM

Was there an episode yesterday (the 23rd), or not? The episode guide lists Guess What's part II as running May 23rd, but NBC and SciFi are being bitches now and posting a week late, and I don't see anything in the "other" places, or any discussion here, so I guess not.

Cold Warrior
May 24, 2008, 03:54 PM

The widget I use, TV Forecast, lists it as next week, May 30th.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
What bothers me more about continuity is the introduction of the Resurrection Hub itself. Back during the Resurrection Ship story arc, it seemed like taking out the ship set the cylons back for a few months, with the Raiders unable to fight using their normal tactics.
Something that has always bothered me about the resurrection process: Cylons can upload their consciousness back to the Resurrection Ship when their body is killed, but they can't use the same technology to communicate with distant Cylons? They should be able to be in constant communication with each other, or at least able to periodically send and receive messages, through the Resurrection network.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2008, 04:58 PM

MythTV/Schedules Direct has the next episode on May 30th, like Cold Warrior said.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 09:53 AM

So I watched episode 2 of Season 4 and found out 2 important parts of information:

1) The skinjobs were created with a "Divine plan" in mind. That means they were not just created to be human Cylons but created with a goal in mind. I don't think this plan was only to attack the humans but rather the bigger picture of the 2 raced merged into one.

2) The Cylons (or at least skinjobs) don't know where they originated from as 6 talks about finding their "origins in the universe".

And I still wonder who "the original programmers" are as they can't be humans. It is also difficult to imagine it was the centurions as they seems rather mindless. It is strange to think the Toasters creating the skinjobs only to allow the skinjobs to take away their higher functions so they don't rebel and make them slaves again (just as the humans did).

Perhaps the final 5 didn't originate from earth but shortly after they were created they went out and found earth and returned back home to the Cylons. In order to keep the secret they cleared their memories of it and removed themselves from the other cylons and gave up their resurrection abilities. They could have also programmed the other Cylons never to think about them for that reason.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 06:06 PM

Yeah I agree. The show makes no sense. I thought the Cylons were created by the humans and evolved like 40 years ago, but now it seems like they've existed for thousands of years and have their own God or something. Almost as weird as the old show where there was no clue who the Cylons were or where they came from and nobody ever asked or even wondered. Maybe in the old show it was the humans who were programmed not to think about it. I bet anything that the whole 'this has all happened before' thing has something to do with the old show.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 06:35 PM

From deduction, Cylon resurrection works on Jump technology.
How do you come to this conclusion?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
How do you come to this conclusion?
The Cylons said so.

reader50
Administrator
May 26, 2008, 07:32 PM

It was an earlier post of mine. I'd been thinking about how the system has to work, based on observed behavior.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Something that has always bothered me about the resurrection process: Cylons can upload their consciousness back to the Resurrection Ship when their body is killed, but they can't use the same technology to communicate with distant Cylons? They should be able to be in constant communication with each other, or at least able to periodically send and receive messages, through the Resurrection network.

If I had to guess, I'd say that each Cylon is equipped with a hidden fail-safe device that activates upon death. It only has enough power to organize and transmit enough pertinent data for resurrection.

Also. If they could actively transmit data-streams. It may be detectable even when they're not transmitting.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 09:47 AM

It was an earlier post of mine. I'd been thinking about how the system has to work, based on observed behavior.
Ah. Well, my issue is your post implied it was accepted that the resurrection tech worked on jump technology, which isn't true. What's true is that you're put some thought into it and come up with one scenario, which is cool. But the statment "by deduction" bugged me, because there is no canon explanation of how it works, merely theories. I know it's a small, pedantic thing, but it's one of the things which bugs me, is all.

The only though I've had about the resurrection tech is that whatever the signal is, it can't be a normal EM signal, as the humans would've been able to detect it and jam it. It has to be something exotic, like the unexplained superluminal tech which powers the FTL drives.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Ah. Well, my issue is your post implied it was accepted that the resurrection tech worked on jump technology, which isn't true. What's true is that you're put some thought into it and come up with one scenario, which is cool. But the statment "by deduction" bugged me, because there is no canon explanation of how it works, merely theories. I know it's a small, pedantic thing, but it's one of the things which bugs me, is all.

The only though I've had about the resurrection tech is that whatever the signal is, it can't be a normal EM signal, as the humans would've been able to detect it and jam it. It has to be something exotic, like the unexplained superluminal tech which powers the FTL drives.
Hmm...I could've sworn Six mentioned it at some point, but I guess not. Gotta stop taking everything from this thread as fact, I guess.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 07:57 PM

FYI, episode 8 has leaked online to all the usual places.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 08:07 PM

thanks for the headsup
we don't have time to stop for gas

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2008, 09:05 PM

Yeah, thanks jokell82.... I just grabbed my copy off of Usenet.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 09:31 PM

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2008, 12:45 AM

I hope they had the good sense not use museum quality ship this time.
Nemo me impune lacesset

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2008, 06:17 PM

So, the Cylons are running XP:

The Colonials are not only on Windows, but using Dells:

BSG Dell
( Last edited by MRTrauffer; May 30, 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: removed duplicate link)
I gotta have more cowbell.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 06:28 PM

Maybe he has Buckaroo on ignore...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2008, 11:00 PM

ZOMG. Pivotal episode.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 31, 2008, 01:02 AM

Major MEH for me.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2008, 01:07 AM

I'll not deny that it wasn't the most riveting episode ever. But... MEH?

Tigh knocked up Six. Adama stepped down to wait around for his princess. And Lee became President.

Hardly MEH as far as plot development. IMO, it's probably the most important episode we've seen (as far as story development) in quite some time.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

Tigh knocked up Six. Adama stepped down to wait around for his princess. And Lee became President.

Hardly MEH as far as plot development. IMO, it's probably the most important episode we've seen (as far as story development) in quite some time.
Perhaps not "meh" ... but certainly "huh?" Aside from be the son of the Admiral who won't talk to anyone else as President, I can't see how he could realistically be qualified, though it wasn't really much of a shock to see his name on the board ... the episode was suggesting that the entire time.

Also, I loved the "no sh*t" expression on Tigh's face when Adama said "you've learned alot about yourself".

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 31, 2008, 02:47 AM

I'm with Lateralus here. Not particularly exciting, but it made up for it in importance.

I'm also really, really glad they brought back that lawyer guy, whatever his name is. I hope he continues to show up (but they shouldn't overuse him).

We're getting near the halfway point in the season, so there had better be some action soon.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 31, 2008, 02:57 AM

So is Roslin a Cylon too?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 03:45 AM

More boring story arches and Lee Adama as presnik? And that 'laywer'?

Brushing aside the soap opera plot of Tigh getting Six pregnant, which is irrelevant enough to the main plot, why is it that it's almost only cylons that are having kids?

Is anyone writing this or are they just throwing darts at notes on the wall?

This show should be called 'The USA on a spaceship', by the way.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2008, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Aside from be the son of the Admiral who won't talk to anyone else as President, I can't see how he could realistically be qualified, though it wasn't really much of a shock to see his name on the board
Given the state of things, it's likely that there isn't anyone in the fleet who is "qualified" in the traditional sense, aside from Zarack's legal right to it. But Lee has a high profile and a history of standing up to his father and to Tigh, so the fleet should love him.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 31, 2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

The problem for me is that they were leading up to something much more exciting... attacking the resurection hub, retreaving Diana and finding out the final 5 to the fleat.

Instead we get a bunch of stuff that feels very temporary. Adama TEMPORARILY leaves BSG, Lee TEMPORARILY is president until Roslyn is back.

We just got through Starbuck running around on her own mission and now we get to go through another sidequest with Adama.

I also don't understand how the rest of the fleet doesn't support using all their means to find their president and more than half of their viper and Raptor fleet and why Adama thinks this is something that is only a personal quest and he has to do it on his own.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2008, 02:31 PM

I thought it was because they found the wreckage of lots of human and cylon ships, and the logical conclusion is that they're all dead already

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 31, 2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I thought it was because they found the wreckage of lots of human and cylon ships, and the logical conclusion is that they're all dead already
They jumped to that conclusion pretty damn quick and easy.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2008, 04:06 PM

Well the whole episode had a (totally annoying) read-between-the-lines style. They talked about the pregnant 6 but we never saw her (nor the discovery of her pregnancy), they talked about Lee becoming president but we never saw it, B. Adama talked about resigning but we never saw him do it, etc etc. It seemed like everything important happened off-camera this week, and we only got to see people discussing it before or after the fact. For all we know there was a much more exhaustive search than we actually saw, and we were supposed to know this just because 99.9% of the fleet seemed to believe it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules