Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Never Buy Anytyhing From Dell!

Never Buy Anytyhing From Dell!
graphics84
Senior User
Jul 2, 2003, 01:32 PM

I jumped at a deal from Dell for the 15 gig iPod for $100 bucks off...

kinda of a impulse buy but I figured it was worth it... Well I made the purchase and even did next day shipping. I get an email 6 hours later telling me it will ship in 2 weeks. There wasn�t any mention of a delay on there web site. So I canceled my order.

They already took the $300+ out of my account.

Now it�s been 5 business days and 4 phone calls and still no reimbursement. It�s total B.S.

I�ve been given the run around...

Can I complain to someone and get some action?

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 01:40 PM

Don't ship anything via UPS, either.

Long story, but it involves sending an eMac via 2-day AIR for $113 (specifically for the smooth ride compared to ground), UPS breaking it and UPS not wanting to cough up the $$ for damaging it and conveniently blaming it on me. What's the point of buying insurance if they won't cover it? Sheesh...

Several phone calls and 3 weeks later, it looks like i'll be getting a check from UPS after all (maybe).

Sorry to have just potentially derailed your thread...but I feel your pain.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2003, 01:47 PM

I went to Dell's US site and couldn't even find the iPod. what was the nature of the deal? And was next day shipping different from next day delivery (which means that the delivery people ship it over night, once Dell takes 2 weeks to process the order...)?
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

boardsurfer
Jul 2, 2003, 01:49 PM

Check out the peripherals forum for a long thread on the Dell iPod deal. I fortunately have received mine, just under a month after ordering, but I think some still gave not gotten theirs. Never again

graphics84  (op)
Senior User
Jul 2, 2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
I went to Dell's US site and couldn't even find the iPod. what was the nature of the deal? And was next day shipping different from next day delivery (which means that the delivery people ship it over night, once Dell takes 2 weeks to process the order...)?
here is is:

http://dealnews.com/articles/52778.html

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 03:04 PM

I ordered 7 iPods from dell. 3 of them came immediately. 2 came a few days later. one arrived about a month later and I'm still waiting on the other one.

I think your pod will come. I don't think you can really blame them for supply problems, though. That's as much Apple's fault as it is Dell's.

graphics84  (op)
Senior User
Jul 2, 2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I ordered 7 iPods from dell. 3 of them came immediately. 2 came a few days later. one arrived about a month later and I'm still waiting on the other one.

I think your pod will come. I don't think you can really blame them for supply problems, though. That's as much Apple's fault as it is Dell's.
I actually returned it the same day with out it ever being delivered... but what I do blame them for is that they made no mention of a back order until after the purchase and that they took my money and won't give it back.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 03:20 PM

I believe Ingram Micro does all of Dell's wharehousing, distribution and shipping.

They also handle it for just about everyone else in the computer industry as well, including Apple.

The problem you're describing isn't unique to Dell for exactly that reason. There are gaps in between the various entities conducting the various transactions.

You probably need to get a cancellation # from Dell and then call your credit card company and contest the charge with that cancellation number. The charge gets dropped and you don't have to wait around for Dell and your bank to coordinate their electronic transfer BS.

Sorry. It happens.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2003, 05:33 PM

Although Dell really messed up with the iPod shipping, it wasn't all their fault. High demand, low stock, and Apple not being happy with them for the low prices all caused it.

Dell usually runs some GREAT deals on monitors and other equipment. They are regarded as one of the best places to purchase some stuff on other PC boards, because they'll stack promotions and add other discounts, bringing a great deal.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2003, 09:34 PM

i recently switched to Mac, but before I ahd and still (rarely) use my Dell laptop. It breaks daily. I've had many replacement parts shipped. Very prompt ordered around 3:00 pm recieved 10 am the next morning.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 01:41 AM

Isn't it illegal to take money off somebody's cretit card before the goods are shipped? We are looking into accepting cards for our business and that was one of the potential pitfalls coming up. Of course in the US, YMMV.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 10:55 AM

think so... have fun with them

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 11:55 AM

Thats weird that they charged your account. You should complain. Anyways, while Dells seems to have really good policies, they try to do everything possible to get around them. The last time I had to return something to Dell, I would up getting the run around for 4 months. I finally threatened to slap them with a small claims suit before they complied.

Forum Links
Forum Rules