Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The green button sucks

The green button sucks
rodrigo_la
Mar 24, 2001, 06:05 PM

Aside from the 3 window buttons being too small to click quickly, has anybody found the the green 'resize' button doesn't really do much most of the time? Sure it re-sizes but not full screen. Anybody agree?

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 06:09 PM

I agree! But I dont think there too small cause, the previous ones were just as small but the green button doesnt do much.

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 24, 2001, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by rodrigo_la:
Aside from the 3 window buttons being too small to click quickly, has anybody found the the green 'resize' button doesn't really do much most of the time? Sure it re-sizes but not full screen. Anybody agree?
Mac OS is not Windows, 'zoom' is zoom-to-fit, not a full screen zoom.
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

rodrigo_la  (op)
Mar 24, 2001, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Lord Kronos:
hmmm... perhaps, but which functionality makes more sense?

Hey! Who Stole My Name!?
Mar 24, 2001, 06:29 PM

I'm in OSX now�

Let's see, full screen with green button�

ah�got it.

Option+Click the green button.

Isn't that in OS9 too?

rodrigo_la  (op)
Mar 24, 2001, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Hey! Who Stole My Name!?:
I'm in OSX now�

Let's see, full screen with green button�

ah�got it.

Option+Click the green button.

Isn't that in OS9 too?
yeah, that's very intuitive. I'm sure the first thing new users will think of is having to press an additional key to get another function.

zeltrio
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 07:54 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Lord Kronos:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hmmm... perhaps, but which functionality makes more sense?

-------------------------------

zoom to fit is much more functional then full screen zoom.
-z

------------------
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to return."
- Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519)
"A mighty maze! but not without a plan."
-Alexander Pope

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2001, 08:06 PM

The "Resize" (more accurately called "Zoom") button was never meant to go full-screen. All it's meant to do is resize the window so it's just big enough to hold everything in it, both horizontally and vertically, unless that wouldn't fit on the screen (in which case it makes it as large as it can be while still fitting).

In the end, it's much more functional than fullscreen, which often needlessly wastes screen real-estate. Not only that, but fullscreen mode obscures background windows and the Desktop, a practice that strongly discourages multitasking (rather ironic, considering that its originator, Windows, was designed for multitasking where MacOS was not). The only real advantage is that it puts the menu at the top of the screen where it belongs, but MacOS does that already so that point is moot.

My point: zoom-to-fit is there for a reason: to make the window large enough without wasting screen real-estate unnecessarily. Sure, it's different from Windows, but that's part of what makes it right.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

zeltrio
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
The "Resize" (more accurately called "Zoom") button was never meant to go full-screen. All it's meant to do is resize the window so it's just big enough to hold everything in it, both horizontally and vertically, unless that wouldn't fit on the screen (in which case it makes it as large as it can be while still fitting).

In the end, it's much more functional than fullscreen, which often needlessly wastes screen real-estate. Not only that, but fullscreen mode obscures background windows and the Desktop, a practice that strongly discourages multitasking (rather ironic, considering that its originator, Windows, was designed for multitasking where MacOS was not). The only real advantage is that it puts the menu at the top of the screen where it belongs, but MacOS does that already so that point is moot.

My point: zoom-to-fit is there for a reason: to make the window large enough without wasting screen real-estate unnecessarily. Sure, it's different from Windows, but that's part of what makes it right.
Nicely said. I was 'thinking' the same thing but was too lazy to type all that wonderful stuff up ;]

------------------
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to return."
- Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519)
"A mighty maze! but not without a plan."
-Alexander Pope

Daishi
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:

Question: Does anyone know how to get Windows to zoom-to-fit? 'Cause I hate that freakin' useless resize button right now.

------------------
not strong - only aggressive
not free - we only licensed
not compassionate - only polite
not good - but well behaved
Vocatvs atque non vocatvs Deusaderit

SteveTheMacNut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 11:34 PM

I agree with Millennium. I hate the terrible Windows functionality that needlessly wastes precious screen real estate (which is getting even more precious in OS X with the Dock!). Long live the Resize widget!

-Steve

pdot
Senior User
Mar 24, 2001, 11:41 PM

It took me a while to realize that the green button is only useful when in the icon view mode. I miss the ability to zoom-to-fit in list mode. Why did Apple remove that?
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

GeekUSJ
Mar 25, 2001, 02:55 AM

The zoom button is the better idea (full screen zoom is rarely what a user wants, especially on higher resolutions), but it's true that most of the X applications have a bad implementation of it. The Finder, which should set the example, seems to only zoom properly about half the time, and often requires a little resizing to "hint" how the resize should go. Not cool.

The biggest problem I have with the window buttons though, is the rollover. Usually a rollover indicates "it's OK to click now", but for the stoplight buttons it means "you're close, and maybe over the button, but maybe not." I'm always clicking and missing, since I think I've made it over the button I want when I see the rollover (roolnear?). Combined with the fact that the buttons are round, thus harder to hit than squares of the same width and height, I find that I'm often clicking near, but missing these buttons.

GeekUSJ
Mar 25, 2001, 02:58 AM

The zoom button is the better idea (full screen zoom is rarely what a user wants, especially on higher resolutions), but it's true that most of the X applications have a bad implementation of it. The Finder, which should set the example, seems to only zoom properly about half the time, and often requires a little resizing to "hint" how the resize should go. Not cool.

The biggest problem I have with the window buttons though, is the rollover. Usually a rollover indicates "it's OK to click now", but for the stoplight buttons it means "you're close, and maybe over the button, but maybe not." I'm always clicking and missing, since I think I've made it over the button I want when I see the rollover (roolnear?). Combined with the fact that the buttons are round, thus harder to hit than squares of the same width and height, I find that I'm often clicking near, but missing these buttons.

GeekUSJ
Mar 25, 2001, 03:13 AM

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2001, 12:26 PM

Even though the buttons look round, they're still square. You can click on the corner of a square in which one of the buttons is inscribed, and it will count as hitting the button.

Or, in plain English, think of the button as a square just large enough for the circle to fit into. In the end, they're actually just about as big as the OS9 ones, though they do look a shade smaller because of the circle bit.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules