Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Spaceward Ho! 4.0.5 vs. CDs?

Spaceward Ho! 4.0.5 vs. CDs?
BLKessler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2000, 02:10 PM

I originally posted a similar question about three months ago in the wrong forum. I got some feedback at the time, but nothing that solved the problem. I'm hoping that reposting it in a more appropriate forum will bring better results. Can anybody help?

Anybody out there remember Spaceward Ho! by Delta Tao? I'm running the most recent version (4.0.5). My machine is a PowerBook G3/300 (WallStreet) with 192MB of RAM and a DVD drive.

Under almost all circumstances, the game plays flawlessly, despite its age. The only time I encounter a problem is when a CD-ROM is involved. After inserting a CD-ROM (or a CD-R or a CD-RW or a DVD), the game slows to an absolute crawl. Things that used to happen almost instantly now take upwards of ten seconds. Nothing else on the system is affected, only Spaceward Ho!

I'm not even talking about making use of the CD; the mere presence of a CD (or DVD) in the drive causes the problem. After the problem rears its ugly head, removing the CD doesn't fix it -- the machine has to be rebooted (without a CD in the drive, of course).

Quitting and restarting the game doesn't help, nor does mucking about with file sharing, AppleTalk, TCP/IP, or any of the other "standard" culprits.
  • If I'm playing the game and insert a CD, everything then slows down.
  • If I insert a CD, then launch the game, everything is already slow.
  • If I'm playing the game and quit, then insert a CD, then relaunch the game, things are slow.
  • If a CD is in the drive at boot time, and I launch the game, things are slow.

I've even tried this with a bare set of extensions, leaving only the base set plus the ones that are required for the DVD drive, to no avail.

Can somebody please help? Since my PB rarely crashes, I rarely reboot, sometimes going as many as 5 or 7 days. If at any time since the last reboot I've had a CD in the drive, and I want to play Ho!, I'm forced to reboot. Help!

------------------
--Brett
------------------
--
Brett L. Kessler

Forum Links
Forum Rules