Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > DV Rack for mac, or somthing like it.

DV Rack for mac, or somthing like it.
travisimo
Jul 28, 2005, 06:51 PM

Ok, if anyone dosn't know what DV Rack is, but it's a program that allows you to hook up your camera (i have a DVX100A) directly to your PC via Firewire and it allows you to record straight to the HD. It still records to the tape but it simultaniously writes all data to harddrive making dumping video practicaly obsoleet. I got this powerbook and i love it but i need a program like this in order to make my experience complete. Someone, Anyone inform the uninformed

Thanks!
Trav

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2005, 08:13 PM

hmm. I dont know of any software apps that do this myself.

Are you looking for a Direct-to-Edit device? Essentially DTE lets you get your DV onto an HDD for your NLE. Searching for direct to edit on B&H brings up a decent amount of stuff, but its all hardware, not software, and pretty expensive.

I think that the best way to do what you want to do is invest in some serious external HDDs. You can use a DTE device to record the DV to that HDD and then just hook it up to your PC and access it directly. That is more expensive than a software solution, but I've not seen any softwares that can do this. (I could be wrong...)

this product looks good and is not too expensive... well, compared to the othe results anyway.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

There are some pretty good sized HDs out there, up to the TB sizes. I forgot what the company was called, but a good for terabyte storage will probably get you some good results. Theoretically (depending on how much footage you plan on shooting) you could have the entire thing on 1 HDD, no capture process, ready to edit.... theoretically.

But wait for some more replies--I could be entirely wrong... I've just never heard of doing this with just software.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

RBKR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2005, 10:25 AM

this is the only software I've seen recommended for Macs - http://www.bensoftware.com/btvpro.html

Never used it, maybe it will work for you.

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 12:21 PM

Uhh...maybe I'm confused here. You want to take video with your camera, and as you are capturing it to DV tape you also want to capture it directly to your HD. Won't all the regular DV capture software do this?

If so, I use Vidi for just bare capture

http://www.mitzpettel.com/software/vidi.php

It was meant for use with the ForMac converter box, but works with just about anything I've thrown at it. If there's some feature I'm not getting that you need, please clarify.
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Forum Links
Forum Rules