Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Analog input and editing on a tiBook?

Analog input and editing on a tiBook?
corp miler
May 20, 2004, 04:32 PM

I've searched this forum and can't find the answer for this... I am looking for a way to record and edit amalog audio via microphone inputs (or other) on my G4 tiBook. I have a really complicated system right now... I plug my analog outputs into my digital camcorder which has a analog to digital passthrough. Then I run the firewire of the camcorder into my PowerBook while running iMovie. I then use Wiretap (software which records whatever your speakers are playing) to capture the audio as a AIFF file. I can then import the AIFF into D-Sound 3.5 (a simple and effective audio editing shareware) where I can cut, fade, adjust gain, etc, then export for use in iTunes and on my iPod... Now that is a complicated process! Help! I'd love to find something where I could simply plug a mini jack into the PowerBook, edit and import to iTunes. This is also just for personal commuting tunes so I'm looking for the cheapest option that is simpler than my current system.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2004, 05:19 PM

I bet D-Sound can record from the microphone jack (if your powerbook has one)

corp miler  (op)
May 20, 2004, 05:31 PM

Actually it can. I should clearify... what I'm doing is recording off my satellite radio so that I can listen on the iPod to, from, and at, work. I'll record a 2 -3 hour segment then convert it to a MP3 format through iTunes. Its nothing more than a digital version of the old days of recording your favorite radio show on cassette really. Here's where its complicated... I'll note the songs that I want to keep and extract those using D-Sound (and YES I DO purchase a ton of music as well). D-Sound seems to limit the audio to a half hour or so. Any more than 10 minutes seems to be too large for the program to process really.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by corp miler:
Actually it can. I should clearify... what I'm doing is recording off my satellite radio so that I can listen on the iPod to, from, and at, work. I'll record a 2 -3 hour segment then convert it to a MP3 format through iTunes. Its nothing more than a digital version of the old days of recording your favorite radio show on cassette really. Here's where its complicated... I'll note the songs that I want to keep and extract those using D-Sound (and YES I DO purchase a ton of music as well). D-Sound seems to limit the audio to a half hour or so. Any more than 10 minutes seems to be too large for the program to process really.
Sounds like you need to try a different program. Look at audacity, amadeus, or peak le.

Forum Links
Forum Rules