Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Getting tired of plugging/unplugging all the time

Getting tired of plugging/unplugging all the time
starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2004, 02:44 AM

Hi all,
So...I love my 17" Powerbook, but lately I've been taking it away from my desk less since I'm tired of disconnecting/reconnecting all the cables all the time. It's gotten to the point where I think I'm going to sell it on eBay and get a desktop again. If it had a dock, I wouldn't care.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 03:32 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Hi all,
So...I love my 17" Powerbook, but lately I've been taking it away from my desk less since I'm tired of disconnecting/reconnecting all the cables all the time. It's gotten to the point where I think I'm going to sell it on eBay and get a desktop again. If it had a dock, I wouldn't care.

Mike
Go Wireless, the only thing I plug into my PB is the sound and power.
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 03:48 AM

"too much work for a lazy man."

-r.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2004, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Go Wireless, the only thing I plug into my PB is the sound and power.
and the printer
and the mouse
and the Powerwave
and the network cable (when you're dealing with large video file, wireless is a sh*tty option)
and the second monitor
and the firewire drive

Mike

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2004, 11:42 AM

How about get a desktop and use Apple's remote desktop connection wireless from you laptop?
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 01:41 PM

bookendz is supposidly making a dock for the 17

there website only says that there will be information in january

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 02:05 PM

First of all, get a powered USB hub, that you can plug in ONE cable for all your desktop USB devices.

For firewire and such I don't know.

A co-worker has a 12" and just plugs in the video, power and a USB for what he needs. Seems to not be too much trouble for a once or twice a day event.

I guess the extras of firewire and ethernet hardwire if doing heavy network traffic is an issue.

If you needed all that power and devices -- the notebook probably isn't useful for all the things you needed it for anyhow.

Good luck with the upcoming docking station.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 04:36 PM

I don't think a dock will make you much happier. I used a BookEndz dock on my Ti/400 and it took a lot of futzing to get the connection just right. The amount of hassle and high price far outweighed the minor inconvenience of plugging/unplugging cables, which took me less than 15 seconds.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by bluedog:
First of all, get a powered USB hub, that you can plug in ONE cable for all your desktop USB devices.

For firewire and such I don't know.

A co-worker has a 12" and just plugs in the video, power and a USB for what he needs. Seems to not be too much trouble for a once or twice a day event.
Can you recommend a good, cheap, powered USB hub?

Is there a powered hub that can accept USB and FireWire devices?

-Jason

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2004, 05:32 PM

and the printer
and the mouse
and the Powerwave
and the network cable (when you're dealing with large video file, wireless is a sh*tty option)
and the second monitor
and the firewire drive

Mike
Go 54mb wireless.
Get a printer with an ethernet port. Or a wireless bridge for your printer. Or a jetdirect (or others) print server.
Get a bluetooth mouse or use the trackpad.
Ah... powerwave. Ah... second monitor. Ah... firewire drive?

I think you paid *way* too much for a desktop computer that happens to double as a laptop.

The only thing I plug into my 17" is the power cable. If I've got to transfer something really huge, I stick in an ethernet cable and do it via the gigabit switch.

Or... snicker snicker snicker - buy some more computers! Here's my setup. The only thing that has changed is that switch has been upgraded to a gigabit netgear switch.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2004, 05:43 PM

Do you need the mobility a laptop offers? Presumably you do since you bought one in the first place.

Can you sacrifice the mobility COMPLETELY if you replace your 17" with a desktop?

This seems to be a high price to pay for being annoyed at something as simple as plugging in a bunch of cables.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Go 54mb wireless.
Get a printer with an ethernet port. Or a wireless bridge for your printer. Or a jetdirect (or others) print server.

I think you paid *way* too much for a desktop computer that happens to double as a laptop.

The only thing I plug into my 17" is the power cable. If I've got to transfer something really huge, I stick in an ethernet cable and do it via the gigabit switch.

Or... snicker snicker snicker - buy some more computers! Here's my setup. The only thing that has changed is that switch has been upgraded to a gigabit netgear switch.

54mb wireless? With 20 GB files? Have you actually TRIED that?

A printer with an ethernet port. Gee....how many of THOSE are there for the consumer inkjet market?

A Bluetooth mouse - I've thought of that. I don't like replacing the batteries but it is an option.

PowerWave - Line in for Garage Band and other audio-in uses.
Firewire drive - for porting my work to/from work without having to take the whole laptop.
Second monitor - 1600x1200 goodness.

When I bought the 17", I was having a ball with it. The problem is that this idea that SJ has about notebooks replacing desktops isn't realistic when you start doing heavy duty work. Besides, the cables coming out of the right side of the 17" forces me to move my mouse over 4" out of the way.

I dunno...I think I might just actually go back to using a desktop and get a 12" iBook.

Mike

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Jan 28, 2004, 01:20 PM

Call the waaah-mbulance, we've got an injured whine-oceros.

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2004, 01:35 PM

I only plug in my power cable.
I use the TIVO home media option to wirelessly play my itunes through my stereo.

It's sooooooooo good.

You need Airport to do this.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 02:06 PM

54mb wireless? With 20 GB files? Have you actually TRIED that?

A printer with an ethernet port. Gee....how many of THOSE are there for the consumer inkjet market?
You could get an Airport Extreme base station and plug your USB printer into it and have printer sharing, then use the ethernet port on the AEBS to keep the higher speeds and still have the wireless option for other machines in your house.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2004, 03:36 PM

I, too, have a similar set up. I plug in a second monitor, power, ethernet, my monitor's USB cable/hub, and firewire as necessary.

I've been using an airport hub, by my univ now has me 'sign in' each time -- the hardware hookup is a single step, the software is multiple times a day. And it's faster.

If you are really hooking and unhooking regularly during the day, I think you'd be happier with a desktop and the 12PB.

My biggest concern is whether these connectors are going to tolerate this relatively high use -- for desktops, you may connect and disconnect 10 times in the life of the machine. I'm connecting 10 times in 2 weeks.

wildcard
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2004, 03:42 PM

I'm wondering if the 17" is right for what you want and/or need. Bookendz already makes a back mounted docking station for Tibooks...instead of a desktop, why not look at selling the 17", then getting a 1 GHZ Tibook with docking station?

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Jan 28, 2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Go 54mb wireless.

Just curious DanBrew, what software did you use to do the diagram?
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 11:53 PM

I was just thinking of all the things I could do if I had the time back that Apple has forced me to waste plugging devices in and out of my PowerBook. If add the time spent typing this pointless reply to that I might have enough time to blow my nose . . .

-- Jason

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 02:37 AM

The D-Link 714P+ is a wireless router with a parallel printer port, so you'll be able to share your printer wirelessly.

I sort of treat my iBook as my desktop replacement, as I usually work on the desk, but the only thing I have plugged in to it most of the times is the power cable (sigh! 4 hours of battery life is just too short). At other times, I plug in the external firewire drives to transfer files and the Ethernet cable when transferring huge files. After "living" on a workgroup-class 100MBps switch for years, 11Mbps is by pokey. I can't seem to push more than 800KBps at a time when transferring between my iBook (Airport Extreme, using 11Mbps) and a wired 100Mbps PC, both connected to the Netgear MR814 wireless router.

Another solution you could do is sell your PowerBook, buy a PowerMac desktop/tower and an iBook G4 to go along with it. Now you'll have two Macs -- one to do serious, heavy-duty processing and another to bring along with you for "leisure".

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2004, 02:39 AM

and the printer
and the mouse
and the Powerwave
and the second monitor
and the firewire drive

Mike
Thats a total of what, 6 cables, each one taking apporximately 1/2 - 1 second to plug in?? You would have us believe you are soooo busy you do not have a spare 6 seconds to plug or unplug your cables?

Well I think you could cut that down to 4 seconds by getting a wireless mouse (bluetooth is great and duracell batteries last a month or more in it with heavy use) and not plugging the printer in unless you need it (I myself leave my printer cable unplugged unless I am printing). Those 2 things would cut your cable fumbling time down to approx 4 seconds.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 11:46 AM

I understand the frustration. It's one thing if your cables end up right where you left them, but for some reason mine fall under my desk, and whatnot. I just oredered a bookendz dock.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 01:42 PM

Something that you may not realize: with a BookEndz dock, you have to shut down your PB before docking/undocking. Factor in that time when you're considering the convenience.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2004, 09:49 PM

Visio.

I guess everybody is different - it does sound like you (the original guy) need a desktop vs. a laptop.

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
Something that you may not realize: with a BookEndz dock, you have to shut down your PB before docking/undocking. Factor in that time when you're considering the convenience.
It does not mention this on their web site. Can you give some more info on this.

Thanks,
West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 05:42 PM

Hmmm, that's funny, I have 6 devices connected and only need to plug in 1 wire plus the power. Hint: USB Hub.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Westfoto:
It does not mention this on their web site. Can you give some more info on this.

Thanks,
West
It's in the manual that accompanies the product (or at least, it was when I bought mine). If you contact their tech support, they will also recommend shutting down before docking/undocking.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2004, 08:29 PM

I'm pretty sure putting the TiPB to sleep is sufficient in OS X for docking/undocking.

As for runaway cables, there was an excellent posting in this forum a year ago. You can tie your left and right cables into bundles, and the bundles will stay put after you unplug them.

I have a cool rock with a whole in it I run my sole left-hand cable, the power supply end, to my PB17". It keeps the cable steady when I'm unplugged.

Forum Links
Forum Rules