Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Intermitten Airport signal loss???

Intermitten Airport signal loss???
picturesnapper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 07:47 PM

My wireless network at home is powered by a Netgear MR314 wireless roter. I am working on a 667 tiBook running OS 10.3.3
Everything has been working smoothly with a strong signal all over my house until I updated the Airport software on my labtop to version 3.3.1.
Now my laptop constantly loses the signal, sometimes even when I'm right next to the router. My roommates laptops (iBook400 and Tibook 1ghz) are working fine on the same network at the same time. Neither of them have installed the airport 3.3.1 update.

Any thoughts??
Is it possible to revert to an older version of the airport software without reinstalling the system software??

Cheers, Joern.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 08:38 PM

Could it be that you are getting interference and the router is jumping channels?

I get drops sometimes, but with no regularity. Haven't had any problems since I upgrade the new software either.
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

z|gzag
Apr 1, 2004, 10:52 AM

Have you tried other channels? Also, make sure your router's firmware is up-to-date.
~zig

picturesnapper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 08:52 PM

thnks for getting back.
Yes I have tried all the different channels and changed other settings too back and forth in a scientific way (so I was able to recreate the changes, but with no success.
There seems to be no pattern to the sigal loss.

cheers joern

bighead
Senior User
Apr 3, 2004, 12:08 AM

I go to Cal State Fullerton, and it seems that most of their SMC hardware absolutely hates the "Use Interference Robustness" selection enabled in the AirPort menuling. I get intermittent drops in signal when in the library and using interference robustness. Disabling the option results in a stable connection. (No thanks to the useless techs who refuse to update the firmware on their damn APs.)

I'd suggest updating the firmware first, but also make sure that the interference robustness is disabled on your machine.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2004, 12:54 AM

With the internal airport card, the Ti antenna receives a signal through the small plastic windows on each side of the palmrest. If you pick the Ti up, your hands naturally cover the antenna pickups, at least on one side. I also noticed that if I adjusted the laptop while sitting on the couch, I'd lose signal when something got in front of those pickups.

Sometimes the Ti antenna needs to be pushed back into the proper channel in front of those windows. You take the battery out and squeeze the external edge of the frame where the serial numbers are. You can sometimes hear a loud snap as the wire is properly aligned--anyway, some people report better reception afterwards. One other thing you could try is to optimize the placement of the base station.

Also, maybe your neighbors have a new cordless phone, or something like that? Or someone nearby added a new wireless router? Get MacStumbler, you can do some investigating (or Kismac.) Interference is the name of the game, and because the Ti has lousy internal airport reception, it loses signal in certain situations more so than the iBook, which starts off with much better reception.

Really, the best way to get excellent reception in a Titanium is to get a PMCIA wireless card. I've got a Cisco Aironet and the difference was night and day. Where the internal card got absolutely no reception, the Aironet got full reception with no dropoff in bandwidth (the internal card loses bandwidth quite precipitously the further away you get.) If you have a friend with a wireless pc-card, borrow it for kicks--you'll be surprised.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2004, 08:44 PM

Same thing with a 15" AL 1.25...

10.3.3 side by side with my iBook... iBook works like a charm... PowerBook dies after 5 minutes... reboot the PowerBook and it works another 5 minutes and then dies...

Next step is to swap the airport cards... 'wonder if they are interchangeable?
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
Same thing with a 15" AL 1.25...

10.3.3 side by side with my iBook... iBook works like a charm... PowerBook dies after 5 minutes... reboot the PowerBook and it works another 5 minutes and then dies...

Next step is to swap the airport cards... 'wonder if they are interchangeable?
The older iBooks aren't interchangeable. Since the older ones use Airport (802.11b) and the Al PowerBook uses Airport Extreme (802.11g). The card is different.
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
The older iBooks aren't interchangeable. Since the older ones use Airport (802.11b) and the Al PowerBook uses Airport Extreme (802.11g). The card is different.
Yeah, I figured that out. I'll call Apple and DMS (the memory supplier) tomorrow for their opines.
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules