Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Classic File Association Question

Classic File Association Question
bobablob
Aug 16, 2004, 10:42 AM

Howdy folks.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I've been using Classic under OSX primarily for Outlook 2001. I have Entourage 2004 but until they throw in full MAPI support I'm stuck with OS9. I'm none too savvy about this enviornment though and I want my file attachments to open with my OSX programs. I know this can be done (i.e. Quicktime files should open in Quicktime OSX, not OS9, and pdfs should open in Preview). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Keep up the great work, folks!

bobablob  (op)
Aug 16, 2004, 03:51 PM

Any thoughts on this one? Thanks again for your consideration. Would like to hammer this one out sometime this work week. Best of luck all!

bobablob  (op)
Aug 16, 2004, 11:51 PM

Since there's been no help forthcoming does anyone have a suggestion for a place I might look for an answer, i.e. a place where folks post about Classic under OSX? I wouldn't have thought this a tough one for a seasoned bunch of Mac veterans, but I guess it is. I certainly don't know what to do about it. Thanks again all.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 12:04 AM

Maybe you could Get Info on one of the files, set it to open with an OS X app, and then click "Change All..." ?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bobablob  (op)
Aug 18, 2004, 04:29 PM

CharlesS,

Thanks for the reply and offer of assistance, unfortunately it does not work. I appreciate the thought though. Does anyone else have any idea? Thanks.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 07:39 PM

If you would delete the creator codes from the files, that would cause them to open in whatever was the default app for that file.

Unfortunately, I don't have the OS 9 version of Outlook, and I'm not sure if it allows you to set file mappings. If it does, you could just map everything to '????' and it would open with the default.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules