Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The Tiger Test

The Tiger Test
PureDigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 08:04 AM

Okay, since I love to test stuff, I figured it was time to test out Tiger, and since I love to live dangerously, I am testing it on my iBook 366 with 192 megs of ram.

My 'Clam' is my take everywhere computer, it lives in my van when its not in my hands, I use it for internet (wardriving), Photos and Music only, I have been a digital photographer for 7 years now and I have a lot of photos (almost 500,000 taken)

Wipe Install from a external DVD drive
Installed it all but languages

I have always had a love / hate relationship with iPhoto, I want it to work for me, but it always falls short in some way, So this time, iPhoto is my target

iPhoto 4.03

I have just taken over 10,000 photos at the NOPI events in 4 states, this will be a good test !

Imported all those files, took about 3-4 hours, no problems on import, went to main library and do the scroll test, this is where iPhoto is gonna die, I just know it

Well it did not die, it is fast, wait it is REAL fast, no stutters in the scrolling, dont even need to use roll view to keep the list size down !

Humm, a smart album, that will kill it for sure, Find all the 4 star photos, simple

Slideshow and mark about 100 files 4 stars, exit from show and the Smart Album is updated, no slowdowns

Okay, finder, let me open that 10,000 file folder, that ALWAYS Kills finder, wait, let me do it in spotlight !

F5 (opens Spotlight) search for NOPI

Finds over 10,000 files in about 4 seconds, I click on Show all, window opens, I switch to Thumbnail view, Tiger thumbnails these files at about 5 per SECOND (note that these files have NOT been thumbnailed in any other program, they are straight from my digital cameras, about 2-3 megs per file.

iPhoto slideshow in a window test (hold control while clicking on iPhotos slideshow button), it works, nice show in a window WITH the 3D cube effect

Humm, this is fast, I might actually be able to put ALL my photos in iPhoto ?

Wait, iPhoto AND Safari AND iChat, iChat will kill any system Not now, chat away, send screenshots, and import 1,000 more photos, no slowdowns

So that is where I am at now, I am now adding 4,000 more files to iPhoto's 11,000 photo library as I type this, so far this is nothing short of amazing, this little Clam 366 feels as fast as my iMac 800 does, yea, you have heard it all before, with every release, but I would not be doing this OR spending ALL this time stress testing iPhoto if it was not usable at some point, I would just use iView !

Will let ya know how this goes, I am off to find all my movie files with Spotlight (or Pipeline) so I can make a movie catalog in iView since iPhoto MIGHT work

Glen
[email protected]

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 08:17 AM

Do you have Steve's build of Tiger by chance?

PureDigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Do you have Steve's build of Tiger by chance?

I have the DVD from the developers conference, I hear there are latter builds, but have not gone over to look and see, I am on dialup now, since I lost my iMac 800 to the hurricane

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2004, 08:28 AM

In before the lock
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by PureDigital:
...am on dialup now, since I lost my iMac 800 to the hurricane
Wow, that sucks! Sorry to hear that.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 11:44 AM

Bows head in respect and observes one minute silence for PureDigital's iMac.

... i tried Tiger out but didn't have time to see if it was faster, System Pref kept crashing and things so I left it alone. But it's sounding good for older computers, just goes to show that with an occasional new operating system Apple can make their old computers feel almost new; do that on a PC.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 12:14 PM

I have the DVD from the developers conference, I hear there are latter builds, but have not gone over to look and see, I am on dialup now, since I lost my iMac 800 to the hurricane
begin rant:

Have you thought about moving AWAY from where the hurricanes appear EACH year ? (which I suspect the do"

I have often wondered about why the people that live in hurricane"street" and who experience these year after year does not move away to a more quiet area of the USA.

Even people who live in the hurricane-belt complain "Oh no, the hurricane took everything I owned again" AGAIN ?????

The state says: "Don't worry, we'll spend 100 billion a year to rebuild your motorhomes each year" "It's no big deal, what else are we supposed to spend our money on?"

rant over. Phew.

Thank god for Denmark and 4 seasons.

Excuse me for my poor English language or use thereof.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Aug 24, 2004, 01:12 PM

The United States is subject to different kinds of weather conditions so no matter where you go you are likely to encounter natural disasters. Many of them are unpredictable and even when they are predictable not all people heed the warning.

The state has a responsibility to take care of its citizens regardless of their choice of residence. I would hope the rest of the United States helps out in the efforts to rebuild houses, provide water, etc.

People will complain if they have to stand in a line for 4 minutes to get a cheeseburger. It is ridiculous afterall! So why is it unreasonable for people on the coast to complain about an unwelcome weather system?

So before you are quick to rant try to put yourself in their shoes.

Yum, I'm hungry.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Do you have Steve's clamshell iBook by chance?

Fixed.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
begin rant:

Have you thought about moving AWAY from where the hurricanes appear EACH year ? (which I suspect the do"

I have often wondered about why the people that live in hurricane"street" and who experience these year after year does not move away to a more quiet area of the USA.

Even people who live in the hurricane-belt complain "Oh no, the hurricane took everything I owned again" AGAIN ?????

The state says: "Don't worry, we'll spend 100 billion a year to rebuild your motorhomes each year" "It's no big deal, what else are we supposed to spend our money on?"

rant over. Phew.

Thank god for Denmark and 4 seasons.

Excuse me for my poor English language or use thereof.
So... they could move to earthquake country (Oregon, Washington, California) or to tornado country (basically, the entire midwest)?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
So... they could move to earthquake country (Oregon, Washington, California) or to tornado country (basically, the entire midwest)?
Between a rock and a hard place eh
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by ApeInTheShell:
The United States is subject to different kinds of weather conditions so no matter where you go you are likely to encounter natural disasters. Many of them are unpredictable and even when they are predictable not all people heed the warning.

The state has a responsibility to take care of its citizens regardless of their choice of residence. I would hope the rest of the United States helps out in the efforts to rebuild houses, provide water, etc.

People will complain if they have to stand in a line for 4 minutes to get a cheeseburger. It is ridiculous afterall! So why is it unreasonable for people on the coast to complain about an unwelcome weather system?

So before you are quick to rant try to put yourself in their shoes.

Yum, I'm hungry.
Not for any reason would I put myself in their shoes. I would be blown away by a hurricane.
The only solution is to come to beautiful Scandinavia, where the grass is green and the weather is reasonable. We a had a hurricane in winter of 1999 (last century) and that was the first one in many years(or one being that rough)

It's kinda of a clich� to say "put yourself in their/my shoes" - most people wouldn't anyway.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
No. Well, they could. But I wouldn't recommend it after what you just said there

PureDigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 08:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fonzie:
[B]begin rant:

I dont live in Florida, I was there to shoot a NOPI show, I live in TN where is safe

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 01:23 AM

Sounds freaking sweet.. I look forward to Tiger on my iMac Rev D 333Mhz... haha and my 1Ghz PowerBook

Chinasaur
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 05:47 AM

Would you call it Snappy?�
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2004, 05:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PureDigital:
[B]
Originally posted by Fonzie:
begin rant:

I dont live in Florida, I was there to shoot a NOPI show, I live in TN where is safe

Oh, please accept my apologies. I have been awfully quick on the trigger

Damn this brain.

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Chinasaur:
Was this an autopost ;-)

I would hope that Tiger would be faster, even though it's still rough. So far all of my upgrades from 10.0 up through 10.3 have seen an increase in perfomance on the same machine. I would hate to think 10.4 would be any different (I know that some of the video/display enhancements won't run well without a good video card).

I must admit that I am impressed that this was on a clamshell.
www.macgenealogy.org - Genealogy on the Mac

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2004, 02:17 PM

Too bad you didn't take your iMac with you. Looks like your insurance will have to get you a new Mac.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 02:47 PM

Played with Tiger for a few days on a 800 MHz iMac with 512 MB RAM. Was just as fast as Panther and the new additions are cool. I just wish they would fix the damn Finder FTP problems.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2004, 03:55 PM

I guess I simply haven't seen anything on Tiger that has made me even want to bother with it. Then again, I'm starting to get older, so having the latest and greatest isn't as important as having a system that starts up every time.

mrpunkin_2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 08:59 PM

I live in the PacNW and we rarely get Earthquakes, not nearly enough to call WA and OR part of "Earthquake Country". Maybe one every few years, and not enough to do more than just drop some pictures off the walls.

Anyways, great to hear.. im excited for the relase of Tiger.

bobablob
Aug 25, 2004, 09:52 PM

Glad to hear about the performance! I'm really looking forward to Tiger. I'd like some feedback from anyone whose gotten a chance to test out Tiger iChatAV though, as this will certainly be the killer feature for me.

As far as natural disasters go, I live in Chicago (no, really! Not in that nebulous, outer suburban bubble that so many so called "Chicagoans" are from, but the actual city itself) - we're pretty natural disaster free, with the exception of a small earthquake downstate earlier this year that didn't effect the city at all. We've also got the world's largest supply of fresh water only a few feet off to the east. Anyone looking for a new place to visit or live would be wise to check us out!

As an aside: It's Chicago, not Chi-Town. Only newly integrated yuppies, Will Smith, and suburbanites call it Chi-Town.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by bobablob:
We've also got the world's largest supply of fresh water only a few feet off to the east.
I didn't realise the Amazon was just a few feet east of Chicago!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
I didn't realise the Amazon was just a few feet east of Chicago!
Actually, it's more like:

"I didn't realise the Antarctic Icecap was just a few feet east of Chicago!"

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by msuper69:

Ok, ya got me there. But technically, ice is not water (water is the liquid form), and requires processing to produce water (such as waiting for a while for it to melt). By that reasoning, salt water is also a source of fresh water.

(OK, I'm clutching at straws here... not to mention way off topic).

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 12:01 AM

PS... you may have also meant Arctic (not ANTarctic, which is a few feet south of the Arctic ice cap.)

bobablob
Aug 26, 2004, 10:37 AM

Sorry for the confusion, let me clarify.

The Great Lakes Basin is the largest surface fresh water body in the world. It's a fact, jack.

I conceed the obvious store of frozen water in the polar caps. But even though the winters are cold in chicago, I insist on drinking liquid H20. You polar bears can drink the ice.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Chinasaur:
Anyone who says "snappy" one more time...

Truepop
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 05:26 PM

Should this thread be lockinated?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 05:35 PM

Whoever is going to lock it better make it snappy.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
No need to get snappy with us now.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 07:25 PM

In before lock
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 08:21 PM

This thread is in grave danger of having nothing to do with it's subject line.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
Anyone who says "Anyone who says 'snappy' one more time... " one more time...

unimaxium
Aug 26, 2004, 08:54 PM

[desperate attempt to bring this thread back on topic]

So how exactly does the iPhoto, etc performance compare to, say, iPhoto under Panther running on the iBook? I know since iPhoto 4 the scrolling is supposed to be a lot faster (and it is), but is the Tiger iphoto performance that much faster than iPhoto under Panther? Or have you not used Panther on the clamshell?

It's great to know spotlight is so fast too

[/ desperate attempt to bring this thread back on topic]

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 01:43 AM

This is impressive. As to why to upgrade to Panther. I gota say Spotlight and Automater are the biggest reasons for me.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Aug 27, 2004, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
This is impressive. As to why to upgrade to Panther. I gota say Spotlight and Automater are the biggest reasons for me.
I can't find those ANYWHERE in MY Panther install discs...

sambeau
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 09:03 AM

You think it's fast now? - just wait until they take the debug code out!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 27, 2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by sambeau:
Apple already said they won't do that until the whole computer lineup has a Turbo button.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by sambeau:
Let's see. "Is it Snappy?", "Debug Code".

What have we left out?
( Last edited by msuper69; Aug 27, 2004 at 05:22 PM. )

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 11:19 AM

Anyone remember the good old days with Kosmo and the 10.0 release?

Granted every release of OSX has shown speed improvements (especially for older hardware), but a clamshell iBook faster than my 1.5ghz Powerbook in Panther? I'll believe it when I see it.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 05:17 PM

Let's see. "It is Snappy?", "Debug Code".

What have we left out?
"Crash Proof"
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

PureDigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by unimaxium:
[desperate attempt to bring this thread back on topic]

So how exactly does the iPhoto, etc performance compare to, say, iPhoto under Panther running on the iBook?
I could not do this on the same computer running Panther, as a matter of fact, on the iMac 800 and Panther, the useable limit was 6,700 photos

[/ desperate attempt to bring this thread back on topic]

THANK GODNESS !!!

I was gonna do another report, but I dont know now !

PureDigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:

Granted every release of OSX has shown speed improvements (especially for older hardware), but a clamshell iBook faster than my 1.5ghz Powerbook in Panther? I'll believe it when I see it.
I never mentioned a Powerbook or anything even NEAR the .5 part of a ghz !

Gavin
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Toyin:

Ah, yes...

That's when this board was the most fun.

Nothing but early adopters. The brave and the hopeful. The curious and the sick. Rugged individuals.

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Gavin:
Ah, yes...
That's when this board was the most fun.
Nothing but early adopters. The brave and the hopeful. The curious and the sick. Rugged individuals.
And all the news from wincent.org "News so hot we've got to encypt it!". That was real fun.
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 02:44 PM

I never mentioned a Powerbook or anything even NEAR the .5 part of a ghz !
No, but from your description it sounds as fast as my powerbook. Then again, I can believe it because this may be more a result of an optimized iPhoto rather than a huge speed boost in Tiger.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2004, 03:50 PM

one big problem with that preview is the lack of ability for mail /safari to use ssl certs.. just an fyi to anyone else feeling saucy.
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

Chris Grande
Senior User
Aug 28, 2004, 09:49 PM

Looks to be a lot of new features to iChat... For Example File Share folders (like AIM), inline Buddy groups, profiles, and a few collaboration features that aren't implemented yet; some type of program share/white board. The nibs are there, along with a new button for the iChat window. Still no auto reply of away messages... come on Apple!

Forum Links
Forum Rules