Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > I'm Putting my Sweat Where My Mouth Is: What About You?

I'm Putting my Sweat Where My Mouth Is: What About You?
Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 08:14 AM

So we all love to jabber about the election here. We care enough to spend endless hours Photoshopping new insults, scouring unreliable news sources, and checking for the precious red dot that means someone has replied.

I caught word of Moby saying, "My great fear is that we will wake up on November 3rd, [the wrong guy] will have won and we will say, 'What more could we have done?"

So I'm joining a bus to Ohio for four days of Get Out The Vote canvassing with these guys. What are you doing for your guy?

[ Foreign Agents, you are excluded from this. Go volunteer for your local Commune Council Representative or whatever ]
( Last edited by Mithras; Oct 26, 2004 at 08:37 AM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2004, 08:23 AM

Wow, that's great Mithras.

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 08:27 AM

On Friday and Saturday we went out to the bars for http://acthere.com/

It was actually a great amount of fun And I am doing the same next weekend. And I spent a few of my days off helping plan the best routes to pick-up voters that need a ride to the polls. It's not much but better then nothing.

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 08:42 AM

I'm voting. And I hate to admit this in the political forum (in what I think is my first post here), but this will be my first time voting and I'm 32 years old.

Voch

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2004, 09:07 AM

That's okay Voch. There are several reasons why folks don't vote. For some it's laziness, others it's a feeling of disenfranchisment, still others that are jaded about politics in general, and many that don't feel they know or care enough to make an educated decision. Some reasons NOT to vote are more forgiveable than others, but we welcome you to the process none the less.

Ahhh. reminds me of when I first turned 18 yrs old, immediately went to local shopping mall and registered to vote. Have voted ever since. The funny thing is when I really didn't know about how to vote back then, regarding the local district court judges. I voted them ALL out!!!
ebuddy

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
So I'm joining a bus to Ohio for four days of Get Out The Vote canvassing with these guys. What are you doing for your guy?
So what exactly do you do there? I kind of feel sorry for those people. They're going to be harassed constantly from now until election day. I mean, how do you get someone to vote if they don't want to. And if they don't want to, aren't you going to just annoy them?

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by ebuddy:
That's okay Voch. There are several reasons why folks don't vote. For some it's laziness, others it's a feeling of disenfranchisment, still others that are jaded about politics in general, and many that don't feel they know or care enough to make an educated decision.
I guess mine is the feeling of disenfranchisment, but I still paid a lot attention to politics throughout my life. You'd think I'd be more disenfranchised because of all the attention Ohio has been getting (I'm tired of ads from BOTH sides).

I *am* glad we got the election instructions in the mail yesterday...the 2000 election made it sound like voting was something as difficult as patting your head and rubbing your tummy while break dancing. For my district it's showing up with ID, flipping through a book, punching some holes, and checking your card before dropping it into a box. Piece 'o cake (except that my driver's license has my OLD address on it...I'm bringing the suggested extra items like a recent paycheck stub or something with my current address on it just in case).

Just one more week. Just one more week. Just one more week...

Voch

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2004, 10:53 AM

I hear you Voch... I'm counting down the days until all this anger is displaced on something else like the G5 iMac's video card

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 11:00 AM

I'm voting and encouraging others with conviction about the election to vote as well.

I think it's very cool what you are doing, and if I had the opportunity to do something like that, believe me I would.

Mithras  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by BRussell:
So what exactly do you do there? I kind of feel sorry for those people. They're going to be harassed constantly from now until election day. I mean, how do you get someone to vote if they don't want to. And if they don't want to, aren't you going to just annoy them?
Fair points.

We go to people who have been individually identified (through phone polling, etc.) as likely or leaning Kerry voters. Then we remind them to vote, offer them an absentee ballot if they want, or offer them a ride to their polling place.

Nobody has to vote if they don't want to, of course. Most reports from people already doing this is that folks are grateful for human attention (rather than flyers and phones). And when you visit elderly folks, they often would not have been able to vote without the help.

And in the end, I'd rather slightly bother some guy and have Kerry win.

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 11:45 AM

We go to people who have been individually identified (through phone polling, etc.) as likely or leaning Kerry voters. Then we remind them to vote, offer them an absentee ballot if they want, or offer them a ride to their polling place.

Nobody has to vote if they don't want to, of course. Most reports from people already doing this is that folks are grateful for human attention (rather than flyers and phones). And when you visit elderly folks, they often would not have been able to vote without the help.

And in the end, I'd rather slightly bother some guy and have Kerry win.
Sounds very helpful. I've got friends and family to pester if I have a question, and I've been soliciting help from my coworkers (they're politically my opposite, so we joke about our candidates a lot). I have no idea what I'd do if I was an elderly first-time voter, or was handicapped, etc.

If you're in the West Park area of Cleveland and need a lift to either polling place (there are two locally) early Tuesday morning just send me a PM.

Voch

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2004, 11:51 AM

I'm doing my part, too.

So far I've managed to change the opinions of several voters at my workplace.

I feel good about that. It's almost like quadrupling my one vote.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2004, 12:11 PM

I plan to go to the polling places to intimidate voters.

Mithras  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 05:50 PM

Fair points.

Then we offer to take them to a couple of other precincts too. And if a Republican says he isn't voting, I use his name and address to vote for Kerry. Lastly, we ask whether they have any relatives that have recently died, and whether they like to vote in their memory.
Fixed, tip o' the hat to Simey.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 07:41 PM

Got me a (free) shirt thats says:

VOTE HARDER
november 2

Wearing that around, and throat punching random yuppies. Actually have had some pretty good discussions with a few republican friends I have, and they're not voting for bush. Some are just staying home and some are going for nader and some are going for kerry.

They're republicans, but not the crazy, faith-based, root for your candidate over your country type peoples.

~BS

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 07:45 PM

I'm going to make sure Simey doesn't scare me away from voting. I'd like to do more but, well... if Hawaii was a swing state, I wouldn't mind doing some campaign work over there. But Ohio? Um, pass

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2004, 08:01 PM

I have, for the last five years, taken Election Day off and volunteered to drive seniors to polling place in my district. A strictly non-partisan effort. I make sure they get there, and home, and I don't use it as an opportunity to pimp my candidate of choice.
Nemo me impune lacesset

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I have, for the last five years, taken Election Day off and volunteered to drive seniors to polling place in my district. A strictly non-partisan effort. I make sure they get there, and home, and I don't use it as an opportunity to pimp my candidate of choice.
Now THAT is good! I've voted absantee...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 10:44 PM

So we all love to jabber about the election here. We care enough to spend endless hours Photoshopping new insults, scouring unreliable news sources, and checking for the precious red dot that means someone has replied.

I caught word of Moby saying, "My great fear is that we will wake up on November 3rd, [the wrong guy] will have won and we will say, 'What more could we have done?"

[ Foreign Agents, you are excluded from this. Go volunteer for your local Commune Council Representative or whatever ]
Mithras,

I commend you for your participation in the American electoral process. It is commitment like yours that is behind most everything good about America and despite our political differences, I applaud your participation in the process.

Catchy thread subject line.

Makes me think of hot, sweaty, sultry monkey...oh well.

God Bless America!
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Voch:
I'm voting. And I hate to admit this in the political forum (in what I think is my first post here), but this will be my first time voting and I'm 32 years old.

Voch
Hey, if you spend enough time down there partying in the Flats, years can go by without much notice!

Glenville/Collinwood area.

Welcome to the Pol Lounge!

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 01:35 AM

So I'm joining a bus to Ohio for four days of Get Out The Vote canvassing with these guys.
Will you have to buy the cartons of cigarettes and flasks of whiskey to bribe the homeless folks to vote democrat, or will that stuff be provided for you?

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Will you have to buy the cartons of cigarettes and flasks of whiskey to bribe the homeless folks to vote democrat, or will that stuff be provided for you?
It is provided. But you have to hand out Top Cigarette Tobacco, not that fancy pre-rolled stuff.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 01:46 AM

Offerring anything at all (even free concerts) in exchange for somebody registering to vote is a crime. At least in this state. You can offer registered voters a ride to the polls - but you can't offer *anything* to entice them to register.

I'm searching for evidence of 'get out the vote' freebies in North Carolina. I plan to make sure all parties are prosecuted.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by chalk_outline:
It is provided. But you have to hand out Top Cigarette Tobacco, not that fancy pre-rolled stuff.
I was wondering that with regards to the 2000 election: Were the handouts brand name cigarettes such as Marlboros, Newports, Kools, etc., or were they generics like GPC, Basic, and Best Value.

If I were approached in an alley by a democrat "get-out-the-vote" crew, I'd hold out for Marlboros and Jack Daniels. If they offered me Basics and some Williamsburg Whiskey, I'd tell them that, not only was I not going to vote for Kerry... I'd vote for Bush just to spite their lame-ass offer.

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 02:14 AM

I was wondering that with regards to the 2000 election: Were the handouts brand name cigarettes such as Marlboros, Newports, Kools, etc., or were they generics like GPC, Basic, and Best Value.
We gave out Export A Medium 25s Cigarettes that year. The short filters confused the hell out the homeless so we switched to roll-your-owns.

If I were approached in an alley by a democrat "get-out-the-vote" crew, I'd hold out for Marlboros and Jack Daniels. If they offered me Basics and some Williamsburg Whiskey, I'd tell them that, not only was I not going to vote for Kerry... I'd vote for Bush just to spite their lame-ass offer.
We plan for situations like these. We find the nearest republican and tell them the homeless guy over there is gay.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 02:25 AM

[BIf I were approached in an alley by a democrat "get-out-the-vote" crew, I'd hold out for Marlboros and Jack Daniels. If they offered me Basics and some Williamsburg Whiskey, I'd tell them that, not only was I not going to vote for Kerry... I'd vote for Bush just to spite their lame-ass offer. [/B]
lolololol

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 02:34 AM

[BWe plan for situations like these. We find the nearest republican and tell them the homeless guy over there is gay.

[/B]
Republicans assimilate well. You wouldn't be able to tell us on sight. But one could SMELL you a block away. Your post STINKS, too.

It is mean spirited and borders on homophobic. You should be ashamed.

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
Republicans assimilate well. You wouldn't be able to tell us on sight. But one could SMELL you a block away. Your post STINKS, too.

It is mean spirited and borders on homophobic. You should be ashamed.

**Fuzzy Alert**

Note the smiley. I thought it was obvious that the whole exchange was a joke.

And I think you take the internets waaay to seriously.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 02:57 AM

**Fuzzy Alert**

Note the smiley. I thought it was obvious that the whole exchange was a joke.

And I think you take the internets waaay to seriously.
Way to weasel!

You were smirking at the thought of being so diabolical. Who would even be able to THINK of something so devilish? Why not post some of the photos you took of the homeless people being molested, eh?

And it is spelled, "too."

Oh, and since you don't take the internet all that seriously, nothing said here will bother you in the least.

Laugh this off you mean spirited, borderline homophobic post poster!

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
I plan to make sure all parties are prosecuted.
Everytime I read one of your posts I read your name again and then start to laugh.

~BS

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
Way to weasel!

You were smirking at the thought of being so diabolical. Who would even be able to THINK of something so devilish? Why not post some of the photos you took of the homeless people being molested, eh?

And it is spelled, "too."

Oh, and since you don't take the internet all that seriously, nothing said here will bother you in the least.

Laugh this off you mean spirited, borderline homophobic post poster!
diabolical, ha, I'm just a normal guy without tights. sigh...

And you are correct, I don't give a **** what you say.

Report me, idiot.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2004, 08:54 AM

Can we go one day without someone pissing in someone else's cheerios? Anyway, I'm a registered republican, and I thought the post was funny. Everybody is taking things (and themselves, and their parties) much to seriously these days. Lighten up folks, you are not your political party.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules