Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So I start a new job in 3 weeks (and am getting a new Mac out of it!)

So I start a new job in 3 weeks (and am getting a new Mac out of it!)
Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2008, 10:27 PM

...and my employer to be ordered my new machine already. I got an email from the IT guy tonight saying my new Mac is there already! Here's the specs:

Specifications:
* MacBook Pro 17"
* 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Accessory Kit
* 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
* MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Glossy LED Widescreen Display
* Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter
* Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

I want to quit early and go get my new computer! I know... lame... but I'm excited because my current employer won't let me have a Macbook Pro for a work PC.

I'm shallow, yes. But having this system will make my professional life so much easier. Good bye Windows!

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 11:38 PM

Congrats!! It sounds like you'll be working at a great place!

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2008, 12:07 AM

dude thats awesome, congrats. The MBP is a awesome machine, i can't imagine going back to my imac or ibook g4 after this thing

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2008, 12:18 PM

Just curious, where are you going to work (or at least what line of work?) It's very hard for me to come by any job that would give me a new Mac when starting. (Yes I'm jealous...)

webb3201
Senior User
Mar 21, 2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
Just curious, where are you going to work (or at least what line of work?) It's very hard for me to come by any job that would give me a new Mac when starting. (Yes I'm jealous...)
Congrats on the new job with the mac! Im lucky as I make my living in Information Security and need to have access to 'nix and need to avoid Microsoft!
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Full-Auto  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
I work in the digital advertising space.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 21, 2008, 07:16 PM

Nice rig. While it's kind of large for traveling with, with the kind of work you do, you probably need that resolution and physical display size. I'm about 5% jealous.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Full-Auto  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2008, 08:54 PM

Yeah, I was really torn between the 17" and the 15" for that very reason... but 90% of the time it will be a desktop machine with the very occasional travel. I do have a 13" MacBook just in case too...

But I need as much screen real estate as possible as I need to have multiple windows open... Plus, I might game with it... but don't tell the boss.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2008, 09:31 PM

My new job ordered my Air the day it was announced and it was tough working the next month at my old job knowing my Air was waiting for me at the new office.

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2008, 12:24 AM

free mac, and paychecks, about 123% jealous

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
Yeah, I was really torn between the 17" and the 15" for that very reason... but 90% of the time it will be a desktop machine with the very occasional travel. I do have a 13" MacBook just in case too...

But I need as much screen real estate as possible as I need to have multiple windows open... Plus, I might game with it... but don't tell the boss.
In that case I'd have gone for the 15". The 17" screen is not huge for daily work. Buy a big flat screen and hook the mac up to that for day work. Get the better portability of the smaller mac for travelling.

A 24" screen will repay your employers in productivity gains within a month and your eyes will love you.

hedmisten
Mar 22, 2008, 03:10 PM

Im jealous of you guys. All I do is graphic design and mac/windows diagnostics. I currently work for myself, so the boss isnt going to buy me a new mac.
08 Whitebook 2.2 2.0.120.

Full-Auto  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
In that case I'd have gone for the 15". The 17" screen is not huge for daily work. Buy a big flat screen and hook the mac up to that for day work. Get the better portability of the smaller mac for travelling.

A 24" screen will repay your employers in productivity gains within a month and your eyes will love you.
I don't do graphic design, I'm in quality assurance. I've had a 17" Macbook Pro G4 before and the size wasn't a concern for me. Most of the people I work with use laptops vs. desktop machines.

If I hadn't used a 17" before I might be reluctant but as it stands I'm confident it's just want the doctor ordered for me.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2008, 06:46 PM

I don't do graphic design, I'm in quality assurance. I've had a 17" Macbook Pro G4 before and the size wasn't a concern for me. Most of the people I work with use laptops vs. desktop machines.

If I hadn't used a 17" before I might be reluctant but as it stands I'm confident it's just want the doctor ordered for me.
Graphic design or not, you did mention you had multiple windows open. You WILL be more productive on a big screen. Much more productive. A decent 24" screen should knock you back around $300. As you Americans say, 15 or 17", it's a no brainer.

riverbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2008, 03:59 PM

I got almost the same MBP this week but I had to pay for it. I got 4 GB memory and the 200 GB @7200 hard drive. It is hard to believe how fast, quiet and cool running this machine is. Congratulations and I hope you like yours as much as I do mine.

XTTX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 01:17 AM

...and my employer to be ordered my new machine already. I got an email from the IT guy tonight saying my new Mac is there already! Here's the specs:

Specifications:
* MacBook Pro 17"
* 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Accessory Kit
* 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
* MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Glossy LED Widescreen Display
* Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter
* Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

I want to quit early and go get my new computer! I know... lame... but I'm excited because my current employer won't let me have a Macbook Pro for a work PC.

I'm shallow, yes. But having this system will make my professional life so much easier. Good bye Windows!
Wow, what a coincidence, those specs are exactly like the one I just ordered. Oh, how I envy you and your free macbook pro .

TiBook_Kid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 12:03 PM

wow. lucky you, i have to get a used macbook pro

well, anyway, enjoy your new job and the awesome machine that comes with it.
Titanium PBG4 "Bruiser" 1GHz, 512mb, 60gb, MacBook "Whitey" 1.83 GHz 512mb, 120gb, PowerMac G4 "Sawtoof" 350MHz, 576mb, 120gb, iPhone, iPod nano

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2008, 10:04 PM

That's very nice.

For me, I received a DP PowerMac G5 on day 1, then upgraded to a Mac Pro. Now, I have a MBP, Mac Pro, G5, and a HP desktop in front of me.

rope1111
Baninated
Mar 25, 2008, 11:02 AM

I wish I could get the same kinda job ?: Well congratz for ur new Mac n job

Full-Auto  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2008, 12:50 AM

I picked it up today. I LOVE IT! Wow, what a beauty. The multi-touch keyboard is the bomb.

I've been up all night installing software and getting it ready.

Full-Auto  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2008, 02:39 AM

The sexy beast in daylight.

Well, now that I've had over 24 hours with my new machine... I can honestly say my iMac 2,8ghz Extreme won't be getting much play time with this beauty in the house.

I am in love.

Forum Links
Forum Rules