Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Advice needed on iMacs

Advice needed on iMacs
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 07:01 AM

Hello everbody,

guess I need some advice from you. At the moment I have an iMac G5 with 2.0 GHz/20"/400 GB disk with 2 GB's of RAM in it. It's a Rev B that needs to go in service because it has the infamous power outages (I bought it just after the introduction of the Rev B, it's serial falls into the Extensive Repair Program, but it is a Rev B, so probably not).

In the Mac shop overhere, I had a look at the 24" iMac which is really a great machine. Nice screen, although the 20" inches which I'm now working at also seem great and will be great for the following years.

Now I've just almost decided that what result the iMac G5 will give in its repair, I will be buying a new one as I can't afford to have these issues as these machines contain really important data. I thought that it would be possible to get around 1150 euros for this machine when fixed.

I'm doubting between two options, a bit money related:
- I can go for the iMac 24". I want 500 GB of disk and 2 GB of RAM, but because of the price I really can't afford spending much more.
- I can also go for the iMac 20". Than I would take the 500 GB disk, 2 GB of RAM, 256 VRAM and 2,33 GHz processor.

Though I have much space with this 500 GB disk, there is a chance that once I need to buy an external FW disk, which is maybe much faster when on FW800 (24") compared to FW400 (20").

My questions are:
1. What do you consider a reasonable price for the iMac G5 when repaired? (The RAM is Crucial RAM and looks identical to the RAM Apple put in initially).
2. Do you think I should go for the 20" or the 24"?

I use my computer for just iTunes, internet applications, but I also plan to do some things with Garageband as well. I also plan on buying a TV receiver for it.

Thank you for your advice.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 1, 2006, 08:26 AM

My advice is to go for the 24" with a 500Gb HD and the 7600 video card. Forget the 2.33Ghz - it's not worth skimping on other options for. As for RAM, it's something that can be upgraded easily a couple of months down the line. That way, you get the biggest iMac with the two important but not user-installable component upgrades.

BTW, if this is to be used for mission-critical colour work, have a good look at one. I think I've seen a little bit of banding on mine, but I'm no expert. Even if it is there, I don't think it's enough to worry anyone else - I haven't seen it on anything apart from straight gradients.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 08:39 AM

Thanks.

It's especially the 20" / 256 MB VRAM vs. 24" / 128 MB VRAM issue which makes me wonder. This machine has 128 MB of VRAM and in some occasions (for instance 1080p movies or other high resolution movies) I find its performance very limited.

RAM doesn't make a difference, I will take 2 GB at first anyway. It's not for that sensitive colour things, but I know myself being very sensitive about esthetics.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 1, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jerommeke
This machine has 128 MB of VRAM and in some occasions (for instance 1080p movies or other high resolution movies) I find its performance very limited.
I think that is a CPU bottleneck, as the intel Mac minis have no problem with 1080p.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 11:46 AM

Thanks, to come back to your first post. There is really no money for getting a 7600 GT, I think. I also have the wish to buy a Macbook sometime for my portable work, but that's got to wait for a short time, I guess.

That's strange, as one would also expect the video card to show significant influence in video properties. Although the Macbook with its GMA 950 also shows good movie performance, so you could be right there!

Forum Links
Forum Rules