Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac G3 no sound

imac G3 no sound
babycheeks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2006, 01:07 PM

Specs of my imac are:

350mhz Processor w 512KB L2 Cache
128mb PC100SDRAM
6GB hard drive
NIC 10-100 base ethernet
56K Modem
24X Cdrom
speaker port
headphone port
microphone built in
usb hub
Mac OS 9.2.2

When i put a cd in it does not play sound i go to the sound control panel make sure nothing is mute if i click on the check signal it shows the bar moving but i cannot click on the play output of the cd section in the sound control panel, whats going wrong here? Im not getting any sound not even alerts when i click on a alert.

Thanks for any help!

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006, 02:00 PM

in sound control panel, try sliding the volume slider bar down a little and then move it back up. do earphones work?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

babycheeks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 01:01 AM

ive tried messing around with the sound panel and monitor panel to still get no sound. Im going to look and see if the audio cable is plugged in or damaged in the back next. I havent tried headphones but i tried external speakers and got no sound. I wonder if i upgrade the pc to Puma will that help you think Any ideas?

trainboy72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 06:47 PM

are you sure you've installed all the correct drivers? I remember my aunt had a problem with the audio output and it turns out she didn't have the right driver installed on the system.

ibook_steve
Dec 4, 2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by trainboy72 View Post
are you sure you've installed all the correct drivers? I remember my aunt had a problem with the audio output and it turns out she didn't have the right driver installed on the system.
Huh? What drivers? This is a Mac. Even with OS 9, sound just works out of the box. This could be a logic board problem or damaged headphone jack.

Steve

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2007, 04:09 AM

Was there any solution to this problem? I have the same problem with an iMac G3/400MHz 256MBs of RAM

kramer3380
Dec 16, 2007, 07:12 PM

just check to see if your sound is on in your system preferences... most of the time its a simple thing like that...

Jercro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2008, 11:40 AM

I was having this same problem on a G3 Snow. Took the whole thing apart and couldn't find any problems. Speakers listed in System Profile, but not in the audio output list. Worked on headphone, but nothing on external speaker or internal speaker. come to find out, someone (KIDS, gotta love em)had stuck a pencil into one of the headphone jacks and a piece of it had broken off in side. just enough to keep the contact open to the speakers. Used a long dental pick with a short hook on the end to dig it out. Works fine now.
Although most of these problems are just dirty contacts in those headphone jacks, which can sometimes be solved by repeatedly pushing the headphone jack in and out fast several times in each, You migh also want to check to be sure there is no foreign material in the jacks.
Hope this will help someone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules