Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Timbuk2 Messenger Bags

Timbuk2 Messenger Bags
jiholl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 11:33 PM

Hi,

Anyone get a recent build to order Timbuk2 messenger bag?...specifically, did anyone order the bag in the Cordura Fabric? Wondering how they like that over the Ballistic fabric? ANy thoughts appreciated

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 12:36 AM

if my memory is correct, then I would recommend Ballistic

its more resistent to stains, lasts longer, and most importantly, its shinier (so it looks cooler)
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

cal4ever
Nov 6, 2003, 12:47 AM

Just to let you know, I addressed this same question on the "Bag thread."

Anyway, cordura fabric is more "cloth" like--at least after it has been used for a while. It gives the bag a more dull look.

Ballistic nylon is more reflective. Most of the newer backpacks seem to be made of this material. There's a glow to it. I'm not sure how it looks after it a few months or a few years of use though. I am not sure if it gets less reflective.

I think it's more of a personal preference. I don't think one is more water resistant than other--although the ballistic nylon doesn't seem to absorb as much moisture (but i'm not sure aobut that). Also, both types of bags are water proof.

I'm about order one right now!!

surfimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 01:25 AM

I've had a Timbuk2 "Dee Dog" bag for about a year and a half. It's one tough S.O.B., that's for sure! I got mine back when you could really trick them out, mine has the waterproof "Hypalon" lining, the "bottom boot" (extra layer of material), the motorcycle side strap thing, strap pad and the center divider. It's in the Cordura material because I don't like the shininess of the ballistic stuff.

It has held up EXTREMELY well. Mine is colored steel/gold/steel, and has accrued very little staining, which is suprising because I've used it while motorcycling to and from school. I've used it in a heavy downpour while riding my motorcycle and had nothing get wet inside (but remember that I have the water-impermeable and very tough Hypalon lining, so that may change things).

The bag balances well for riding, especially with the (formerly optional and now unavailable?) side strap, and all the features are great, except for the center divider which I've found pretty much useless. I'm a grad student and have easily carried 40-50lbs. of books in the bag with no worries about it ripping or falling apart whatsoever. This is definitely one of the toughest bags I've ever seen; you can stuff an insane amount of books/notebooks/folders/clothes/etc inside and still close it easily. On the other hand, if you don't have very much stuff it also cinches down nicely and doesn't flap all over the place. These are well-designed bags, to be sure.

While it's a bummer that Timbuk2 has ditched some of the more "hardcore" features they once offered, my bag at least has been a very worthwhile investment. I can't imagine needing another bag anytime soon...be sure to get colors you like, you'll be using your bag for a good ten years or more!

I have a 12" Powerbook on order and will be carrying it in my Timbuk2 bag using a Zeroshock sleeve from Shinza.com, FWIW.

Hope that helps! Go Timbuk2, it's a good product. I'm sure their "Commuter" bags are excellent.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 6, 2003, 03:46 AM

Just curious if anyone here has a Timbuk2 messenger bag sized Pee Wee (S)?

Being a prospective buyer, I'd like to know if it's big enough to carry a few school books and a 12" PowerBook?

Thanks,
Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

cal4ever
Nov 6, 2003, 06:44 AM

I actually tried a pee wee size bag earlier today. (Btw, I have my 12'' pb in an incase sleeve.) When I put by pb (in its sleeve), there as barely any room left for anything else. I would guess you can fit a notebook or two at most along with your pb.

Hope that helps

timhale
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
Just curious if anyone here has a Timbuk2 messenger bag sized Pee Wee (S)?

Being a prospective buyer, I'd like to know if it's big enough to carry a few school books and a 12" PowerBook?

Thanks,
Noah
I have a Pee Wee bag and a 12 inch PB. With the PB inside there's room for one thick text book and a few papers. Not much more than that.

Tim

cal4ever
Nov 6, 2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by cal4ever:
I actually tried a pee wee size bag earlier today. (Btw, I have my 12'' pb in an incase sleeve.) When I put by pb (in its sleeve), there as barely any room left for anything else. I would guess you can fit a notebook or two at most along with your pb.

Hope that helps
Excuse my typos. What I meant to say was: When I put my pb in the pee wee, there did not seem to be much room for anything else but a notebook.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 04:45 AM

Thanks for the replies! It makes my decision that much easier. I think I'll go for it.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules