Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > broken usb port - warranty question re: data doubler

broken usb port - warranty question re: data doubler
yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2012, 10:02 AM

One of my usb ports on my MBP (late 2011) is no longer working. Actually it seems to charge my iphone, but doesn't recognize it, nor usb drives or anything else. Its under warranty so I'll take it in to Apple, but my question is about the optical drive I removed and replaced with data doubler and second hard disk. Could this void the warranty re: the usb port? Do I have go to the trouble of restoring the optical drive to make sure they fix my usb port?

thanks in advance
( Last edited by yugyug; Apr 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM. )
ππ>_<ππ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2012, 10:31 AM

I would.

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2012, 10:46 AM

ok thanks. Is that because it could be a logic board problem/replacement and its just best to not ~upset~ them.. or does using data doubler really void the warranty? I've heard it doesn't but still....

I guess I should try some pram reset or something like that first... but so sleepy now, will post again tomorrow.
ππ>_<ππ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2012, 11:02 AM

It sounds to me like the USB controller has blown though its odd if they have one per port. Not impossible though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2012, 01:07 PM

It's quite possible that the port itself has a broken pin (might be dirt).

The Firewire port on my old MacBook is intermittent due to long-term stress on the connector.

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2012, 03:37 AM

Its been sometime since I posted my problem but I finally got it resolved.

It was very low priority as I rarely use more than one usb port at a time, but finally now during the holidays I had some time to go without my MBP for a few days as thats what I thought would happen when I took it in to Apple.

But when I replaced the optical drive the problem magically disappeared, and the port remained working after removed the optical drive and re-installed the data doubler.

Strange huh? Maybe I bumped or somehow damaged something when I had previously removed and re-installed the data doubler. I wouldn't have thought the two things would have much to do with each other but hey glad its fixed now.
ππ>_<ππ

Forum Links
Forum Rules