Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Updating driver on HP DeskJet 970 causes problems

Updating driver on HP DeskJet 970 causes problems
ibbob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 04:53 PM

Has anyone running OS X had a problem after installing the latest driver update for an HP DeskJet 970 (I believe it is driver v. 2.1)? I have had so many problems since installing it, and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problems, or if anyone knows how to get back the previous driver (only previous driver I can find on HP's site is a *patch* for the previous driver).

Problems I am experiencing are:

1) Documents are no longer positioned correctly on the page and are being chopped off because the printer is suddenly not utilizing its total imaging area. This can be also be seen onscreen with applications that have printing previews or show the paper and imaging area boundaries when the Deskjet is selected under page setup. These boundaries are now incorrect and less of the image area is being used.

2) Preset settings have changed from what they were when they were originally set up.

3) The DeskJet 900 series colorsync profile was wiped out. I pulled a profile from another Mac running OS 9, but the colors in my documents are not printing out the same as before. The profile may be older than the one that I had. No where on HP's site can I find a colorsync profile. Why the update erased the profile installed by the previous driver is beyond me.

I am at a standstill as to what to do to get the correct imaging area information back in page setup so that my documents will print without being cropped off, and to get my colors to print out as they were before. I e-mailed HP at their site and am waiting for a reply. Has anyone else using this printer experienced problems with the most recent driver update?

caleach
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 11:21 PM

I am having the same problem and am very frustrated. Can't wait to here the work-around.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2003, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by ibbob:
Has anyone running OS X had a problem after installing the latest driver update for an HP DeskJet 970 (I believe it is driver v. 2.1)? I have had so many problems since installing it, and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problems, or if anyone knows how to get back the previous driver (only previous driver I can find on HP's site is a *patch* for the previous driver).

Problems I am experiencing are:

1) Documents are no longer positioned correctly on the page and are being chopped off because the printer is suddenly not utilizing its total imaging area. This can be also be seen onscreen with applications that have printing previews or show the paper and imaging area boundaries when the Deskjet is selected under page setup. These boundaries are now incorrect and less of the image area is being used.

2) Preset settings have changed from what they were when they were originally set up.

3) The DeskJet 900 series colorsync profile was wiped out. I pulled a profile from another Mac running OS 9, but the colors in my documents are not printing out the same as before. The profile may be older than the one that I had. No where on HP's site can I find a colorsync profile. Why the update erased the profile installed by the previous driver is beyond me.

I am at a standstill as to what to do to get the correct imaging area information back in page setup so that my documents will print without being cropped off, and to get my colors to print out as they were before. I e-mailed HP at their site and am waiting for a reply. Has anyone else using this printer experienced problems with the most recent driver update?
If you want to uninstall the driver you simply need to go through the install routine again except you need to specify uninstall rather install in the appropriate drop down menu. After that you can go back to the previous driver if you can find it.

ibbob  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 01:39 PM

That is actually what I wanted to do but the previous driver was no where to be found on HP's site.

HP Tech support said that the fix for my problem was to roll back to the previous driver. They had me follow specific steps to uninstall the faulty driver. This was more than just an "uninstall" - after the uninstall they had me delete certain files and then I had to repair disk permissions. (I guess we're not in OS 9 anymore, Tonto) They gave me a direct link to the previous driver, which I then reinstalled, and the problem is resolved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules