Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA�

[ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� (Page 3)
Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by christianclark:
Thanks!

I am curious now. Who will do the OS X version? You or Max? Because I have to know a way to get the sweet theme w/ icons.

Or you are waiting to finish your site too?

Christian
? This theme IS for OS X

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 02:46 PM

Jerome_69 --> Windows has this thing made by Stardock called DesktopX. Somewhat similar to Konfabulator, but way more customizable. There are useable docks just like OSX's for Windows now.

Swiz --> I know Windows machines are made really cheap, I should have added that to the list of reasons why people buy them. Why do computer geeks stay with Windows then? I'd have to say how much you can customize them, and how much more games and programs are available on them. Don't get me wrong I hate Windows, I'm just trying to be realistic here.

Anyway, I'll try and un-hijack this thread.

BBX --> How much longer until Omega? How close (in a percent) is Omega to the original idea?

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by drnkn_stylz:
Jerome_69 --> Windows has this thing made by Stardock called DesktopX. Somewhat similar to Konfabulator, but way more customizable. There are useable docks just like OSX's for Windows now.

Swiz --> I know Windows machines are made really cheap, I should have added that to the list of reasons why people buy them. Why do computer geeks stay with Windows then? I'd have to say how much you can customize them, and how much more games and programs are available on them. Don't get me wrong I hate Windows, I'm just trying to be realistic here.

Anyway, I'll try and un-hijack this thread.

BBX --> How much longer until Omega? How close (in a percent) is Omega to the original idea?
DesktopX is much more powerful than Konfabulator. Objectdock is Stardock's take on OS X dock. Games are the major reason for PCs success, Windows is highly customizable because you can't count on Microsoft to come up with a proper interface and geeks use PCs because they're geeks...they go with the flow, and because it takes a geek to be able to decipher Windows . Apple doesn't have as many games because Macs are for serious uses...also 'cause of Mac's poor sound (no eax or surround, yet). And Apple has a better interface and is more user friendly...no "geek-skills" needed to operate an Apple computer.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 05:05 PM

Dace --> True about Mac being easier and way better looking, but we can all still be geeks and mess around with the system and make themes! Apple needs to get their **** together and come out with more useful stuff like surround sound, games, etc.

Mac OS has been around forever, yet it's still a baby.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2003, 10:48 PM

Wow a bunch of questions - here are some random answers... official versions will be made available for both Mac OSX and Windows XP, although the XP release may lag a bit (a week or 2 maybe)... I'm doing the OSX version myself, a friend is doing the XP translation - both are 90% similar but the OSX version will be more Mac-like and the XP version will be more Windows-like... they'll share the same desktop graphics and base icon designs, the Mac version may have Konfabulator components, the XP version may have WindowsMedia components... construction kits and templates will allow users to create and contribute unique icons, modules, etc... the final product remains pretty faithful (at least 85%) to the original design on the Mac because it's been designed with the Mac in mind - the XP version will be faithful because there's very little you can't do with XP these days... it will come at least a couple (if not a few) weeks after Panther, so it'll be both Jaguar and Panther compatible (er, I think)... the LED colors and black surfacing specularity/reflection have shifted somewhat from the teaser, but for good reasons and for the better long-term (I think, anyways)... it'll probably surprise most people for reasons I can't really go into yet... that's all for now...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 12:54 AM

Do you have Panther yet? I'd hope you'll have a start on the Panther version. If you don't get a panther version out right away (or soon after) I'll be asking for tab resources so I can do a crappie port of it for my self use.
click one

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
If you don't get a panther version out right away (or soon after) I'll be asking for tab resources so I can do a crappie port of it for my self use.
Man, you haven't even seen it yet - how do you know you'll even like it? It will have a Panther version right off the bat assuming all goes well.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 05:44 PM

I know I'll like it! It's black and by one of my favorite designers, what more could I ask for? Your k-schemes were the best, and all your art is cool.

Good to hear cuz Panther is good enough to use even if it's got themeing limitations.
click one

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 16, 2003, 08:35 PM

I'm extremely excited for this! I need a non-ported theme for Panther!

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2003, 07:48 PM

Vaporware...
I know it is.
Otherwise, there'd be screenshots.

OK, I'm baiting.
Addicted to Themes.

Please help.

SB

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by slboett:
Vaporware...
I know it is.
Otherwise, there'd be screenshots.

OK, I'm baiting.
Addicted to Themes.

Please help.

SB
While that's a fair assessment (seeing as my one other working theme design that I've been bitching about for the past 18 months has yet to be seen by a single human being), I can tell you that it's absolutely not vaporware - various entities (who shall remain nameless) have [gasp] actually seen it (and find it rockin' so far) - I'm actually using it - I've spent countless hours tweaking it - etc.

Trust me, it is actually coming (and within a reasonable timeframe, I promise) - my biggest problem is that once I get something going that I'm totally in love with I can't help myself and I'll blab about it.... I'm a junkie that way, essentially. Yes, it is a flaw, and one I definitely have to get a hold of - I admit that. The big problem last time out was the fact that I fell in and out of love with the design a thousand times - I'd fall in love with it, think 'this is it' and start talking about it again, then suddenly hate it and regret the fact that I ever opened my big mouth. But things have changed in a big way (and why and what will become obvious when Omega hits) - I'm also treating this as if it were a commercial project, which has really helped me in saying 'okay, that part's done, now let's ,move on'... it's not as personal and therefore it's much much easier (I do a ton of funky commercial work - some of which I've shown on this board - so it's not like I'm an old-skool burnout who's run out of fire if that's what anybody's thinking). Yes, I have sinned - but this is my attempt to make up for past transgressions... I promise, the Mac masses will have a full-blown 21st century BBX kit in their hands reasonably soon if it kills me.

BTW, there are a few reasons why you'll never catch me posting screenshots before something's raring to go - #1, ports coming out before the real McCoy (and you know this isn't far-fetched paranoia, either)... #2, too many 'hey, how about this' or 'I hate this' or 'hey, here's my version' stuff happening... what it ends up as is what it ends up as - there really is nothing worse than design by comittee (case in point: WindowsXP's Luna, Panther's Aqua, the new iPod ads, etc - you know in each case they sat around a table and hacked the original idea down to death)... this way the design you get is as honest and as true to the original idea as it possibly can be. If when I'm done there are parts that are just retarded because I've been too close to it and it's obvious that most people want a change, then I'll definitely consider it. Until then, I'm my own worst critic anyways so it's just best if I sit on it until it's done.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
too many 'hey, how about this' or 'I hate this' or 'hey, here's my version' stuff happening... what it ends up as is what it ends up as - there really is nothing worse than design by comittee (case in point: WindowsXP's Luna, Panther's Aqua, the new iPod ads, etc - you know in each case they sat around a table and hacked the original idea down to death)...
I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me.

I am a designer for a small media company. I'll make a design that I think is cool and works really well. Then the sales guys see it and want to make changes, then the video guys see it and make suggestions, then the client (who is allways right, of course) sees it and makes some REALLY retarded changes. Inb the end it becomes something completely different than I originally envisioned.

--------------------------

Here's another thing I hate. Most of the interfaces I design are for interactive CD projects (director), and some for DVD. So while I'm designing the look of it I can think ahead to how it's actually going to work. Then the client comes in a requests a whole crapload of lame-a$s changes. And tell them:

"That's really not going to work well once we put it in director, why don't we do it this way?"

"No,no, just do it like I said."

"OK"

They come back later to test out the CD, and lo and behold the GUI doesn't work well, and they end up doing it the way I suggested from the start. I can't beleive they haven't learned to trust my design instincts by now.

Everytime this happens I just turn to the guy next to me (who does the 3-D modeling and animation) and say "Keep firing A$$sholes".

If you don't get that you haven't watched Spaceballs enough.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 01:48 PM

While that's a fair assessment (seeing as my one other working theme design that I've been bitching about for the past 18 months has yet to be seen by a single human being), I can tell you that it's absolutely not vaporware - various entities (who shall remain nameless) have [gasp] actually seen it (and find it rockin' so far) - I'm actually using it - I've spent countless hours tweaking it - etc.

Trust me, it is actually coming (and within a reasonable timeframe, I promise) - my biggest problem is that once I get something going that I'm totally in love with I can't help myself and I'll blab about it.... I'm a junkie that way, essentially. Yes, it is a flaw, and one I definitely have to get a hold of - I admit that. The big problem last time out was the fact that I fell in and out of love with the design a thousand times - I'd fall in love with it, think 'this is it' and start talking about it again, then suddenly hate it and regret the fact that I ever opened my big mouth. But things have changed in a big way (and why and what will become obvious when Omega hits) - I'm also treating this as if it were a commercial project, which has really helped me in saying 'okay, that part's done, now let's ,move on'... it's not as personal and therefore it's much much easier (I do a ton of funky commercial work - some of which I've shown on this board - so it's not like I'm an old-skool burnout who's run out of fire if that's what anybody's thinking). Yes, I have sinned - but this is my attempt to make up for past transgressions... I promise, the Mac masses will have a full-blown 21st century BBX kit in their hands reasonably soon if it kills me.

BTW, there are a few reasons why you'll never catch me posting screenshots before something's raring to go - #1, ports coming out before the real McCoy (and you know this isn't far-fetched paranoia, either)... #2, too many 'hey, how about this' or 'I hate this' or 'hey, here's my version' stuff happening... what it ends up as is what it ends up as - there really is nothing worse than design by comittee (case in point: WindowsXP's Luna, Panther's Aqua, the new iPod ads, etc - you know in each case they sat around a table and hacked the original idea down to death)... this way the design you get is as honest and as true to the original idea as it possibly can be. If when I'm done there are parts that are just retarded because I've been too close to it and it's obvious that most people want a change, then I'll definitely consider it. Until then, I'm my own worst critic anyways so it's just best if I sit on it until it's done.
Wow - wudda reply! I was jivin' ya, but I'm glad to hear that you think you'll really finish!
I just don't like when something gets hyped and never shows - as I said, I'm a theme junky.
I also totally understand your not wanting to post screenies for fear of the world telling you how to do you thing - SWIZ knows all about that!

Good luck, but I'm getting impatient!

SB

ennerseed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 02:45 AM

Path Finder can handle themes either as either metal or aqua and has all the features of the new finder plus. You can also set the background color of the columns, text and most everything, which makes it look alot better with themes than the jaguar Finder.

outZider
Oct 19, 2003, 05:19 AM

Too bad Path Finder appears both ugly and odd.
- oZ

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by ennerseed:
You can also set the background color of the columns, text and most everything, which makes it look alot better with themes than the jaguar Finder.
I like the way the Jaguar Finder looks with themes

ennerseed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by outZider:
Too bad Path Finder appears both ugly and odd.
In what fashion?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 02:33 PM

I've got the Panther APE beta and am running Metallifizer.ape, and now have no metal anywhere but iTunes and Quicktime. Love the thing!
click one

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2003, 06:16 PM

Sweet... first the Matrix:Revolutions... then THIS... rock on!

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2003, 06:55 PM

Something new by BBX?! I can't wait. Mercury was amazing, with the exception of the purple tint (green is The Way; blue is okay too).

Can you at least tell us if the top corners of the windows will be round or sharp?

NetworkShadow, where'd you get a beta of APE for Panther? I've looked on their site and can't seem to find it. That is, assuming that it comes straight from them ;-). Any pointers? Do old enhancers need updating, or will this make them work? Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind. Found it. Should've known to check the forums first ;-).

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
Something new by BBX?! I can't wait. Mercury was amazing, with the exception of the purple tint (green is The Way; blue is okay too).

Can you at least tell us if the top corners of the windows will be round or sharp?

NetworkShadow, where'd you get a beta of APE for Panther? I've looked on their site and can't seem to find it. That is, assuming that it comes straight from them ;-). Any pointers? Do old enhancers need updating, or will this make them work? Thanks.
For the beta: http://www.unsanity.org/ They have a list of the updaters and what does and doesn't work.
click one

Hobeaux
Oct 20, 2003, 10:30 AM

I hate to be a huge stick in the mud, but I've been using Panther for a few weeks now (7B85) and really enjoy its GUI. It seems to me to be the best implementation of a Platinum GUI that I've ever seen.

Can any theme be better that this?
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

lenox
Senior User
Oct 20, 2003, 11:37 AM

Panther is a step in the right direction, though I would not consider it an "implementation of a platinum gui". And yeah, I think there's plenty of themes that could top it

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Hobeaux:
I hate to be a huge stick in the mud, but I've been using Panther for a few weeks now (7B85) and really enjoy its GUI. It seems to me to be the best implementation of a Platinum GUI that I've ever seen.

Can any theme be better that this?
If you like Panther's Aqua, then just don't use themes.
I personally think Jag was the best Aqua, but I like the new tabs.
Omega should be the best damn theme around if it's near as cool as it sounds and lives up to all BBX's old themes.
( Last edited by NetworkShadow; Oct 20, 2003 at 01:57 PM. )
click one

Hobeaux
Oct 20, 2003, 01:40 PM

If you like Panther's Aqua, then just don't use themes.
I personally thing Jag was the best Aqua, but I like the new tabs.
Omega should be the best damn theme around if it's near as cool as it sounds and lives up to all BBX's old themes.
Currently I don't use any theme, but if Omega is as cool as everyone hopes, then I might be persuaded otherwise

Maybe with enough pressure the thing might get completed. hehe.
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2003, 04:03 PM

Sharpish (all curvature lies in the Z axis). I think people will really like the titlebars (and probably freak out on the menus) - they include design features I haven't seen in any themes yet (then again, I don't really use themes). It's a very minimalist design, very clean and futuristic and tight tight tight. While the theme component itself is definitely cool, it's more subdued than flashy - the boom hits when you see it in context with the icons, desktop graphics and other devices as a unified experience.

BTW, people saying 'Matrix' based on the colors in this teaser may be disappointed - for usability reasons, I've abandoned the greeny-blue in favour of a ghostly but equally as cool X-ray shade (very similar to the subsurface LEDs used by Apple hardware for pulsing power buttons, etc). The greeny blue, even used minimally, was making it all very Disney-esque. I'm aiming for Bladerunner over Captain EO (and it is looking very Bladerunner now with the shifted color accents and all the Japanese logowork).

Overall it's a cool look very unlike anything I've seen yet - I think people who dig the aesthetic will really get into it - for other people it will probably be too dark and imposing (but just about everybody despite their tastes will probably say 'hey, now that's pretty cool')... something with as broad an appeal as an Aqua or Quicktime look isn't really my bag - I like a little danger these days. It's meant to be a fantasy interface - like something you might see pulsing away onscreen in the Deathstar's security office or in an offworld replicant engineering facility - definitely not everybody's cup of tea.

Progresswise, things are moving along nicely - but I should mention that it's an ambitious project and a bit of a team effort (being cross-platform with different modules and everything), so I'm also working around other people's timelines and availability as well. Rest assured it's coming along as fast as it can and an arrival date is probably weeks (not months) away.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2003, 04:13 PM

The only reason I can't use ANY dark theme to date is because of how they just don't let me use Safari. I use the Bookmark Bar heavily, and all the dark themes make this piece so dark as to make it useless.
I also don't like "rounded" window corners - the only two peaves in themes I will ever mention.

SB

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2003, 06:24 PM

Uh oh. I sure hope I didn't start something by having you reveal the curvature (or lack thereof) of the title bars.

I also wasn't expected a response at all, so I'm still recovering from the three paragraphs.

I don't know whether to be happy or angry. From now on you should write really short responses and devote more of that time towards finishing the theme. ;-)

Can't wait.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by slboett:
The only reason I can't use ANY dark theme to date is because of how they just don't let me use Safari. I use the Bookmark Bar heavily, and all the dark themes make this piece so dark as to make it useless.
I also don't like "rounded" window corners - the only two peaves in themes I will ever mention.

SB
Ya the safari bookmark bar is hard to see, but I can live with it. Maybe there's a hack to fix the text color of the bookmark bar?

Sounding better than ever BBX! I love my G4's power button light.
click one

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2003, 07:19 PM

Maybe there's a hack to fix the text color of the bookmark bar?
Working on it. A few applications may need to be patched (especially in OSX) - for copyright reasons, some hacks may also need to be performed by the end user, because redistributing code that doesn't belong to me seems like a bad idea (I would include detailed step-by-step instructions, however).

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2003, 07:23 PM

Uh oh. I sure hope I didn't start something by having you reveal the curvature (or lack thereof) of the title bars.
Nah, that's a pretty small detail. If anybody's written it off suddenly because they know the titlebar corners aren't curved, so be it

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 07:24 PM

I'm aiming for Bladerunner over Captain EO (and it is looking very Bladerunner now with the shifted color accents and all the Japanese logowork).

Yea!!!!!!!!!! Blade Runner is SWEEET.

By the way, Does anyone have Max's e-mail? His e-mail icon doesn't work. There's no way for me to e-mail to Max. I have converted his BBX Safari skin for Camino. But I want to ask him before upload it to Resexcellence.

Christian

Mike S.
Senior User
Oct 20, 2003, 11:05 PM

Sounds excellent BBX, do you think it'll be as long term usable as Mercury?

I've been running it for a few days now and I haven't gotten tired of looking at it yet, doesn't sound like much but I get tired of most themes quickly.

Mercury just pushes the right buttons, nice color selection and "shine", love the black accents and menus plus it looks great with a metallic style desktop. (just found a nice one a little while ago)

Would you say if a person enjoyed Mercury they'd also enjoy Omega or do they appeal to entirely different tastes?

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 20, 2003, 11:52 PM

Everybody can just chill; just KNOW that you are going to love it.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
Everybody can just chill; just KNOW that you are going to love it.
Yup I know... I've known since before he posted this topic, I have yet to see anything by BBX that I didn't like.
click one

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2003, 08:54 AM

Bbxm, you seem like a down to earth guy based on your posts. I hope you didn't post the teaser just to get your ass filled with the tounges of your rabid fans here.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 08:58 AM

Small question: will the included icons be in CandyBar iContainer format or installed with the theme?

Thanks!!!

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Would you say if a person enjoyed Mercury they'd also enjoy Omega or do they appeal to entirely different tastes?
That depends - if you like Mercury because of the futuristic lines, underlying design ethic and presentation, then yes I think so. If you dig it because it's metal or because of the brightness, then not necessarily - Omega isn't metal and it's dark. It is semi-monochromatic like Mercury though - there's a main surface and accent/fire just the same... in Mercury the surface is clearcoat-glossed metal with dark glass/plastic accents, in Omega the surface is black polycarbon with Xray illuminated LED accents. In both cases, 2 surface materials only.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Bbxm, you seem like a down to earth guy based on your posts. I hope you didn't post the teaser just to get your ass filled with the tounges of your rabid fans here.
Not really - but people have been calling me out, demanding to know when some BBX sh*t is going to hit OSX. I thought I'd give them (and myself) something to look forward to. I get so excited about these thing that it's hard to keep totally mum about them once they get rolling.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Small question: will the included icons be in CandyBar iContainer format or installed with the theme?

Thanks!!!
More on that later. There will be a lot of cool icons, though. I'll be replacing all of the system icons and also include templates for all types (drives, docs, directories, libraries, scripts, apps, objects) so industrious users can make their own.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 07:19 PM

....in Omega the surface is black polycarbon with Xray illuminated LED accents.
That really does sound cool. What color are the LEDs? Are they that cyan color in the poster? Will there be more than one color choice, and if not will you eventually make them, and if not will you allow mods posted? (No I haven't got 6 variations done and ready to go... why?) Will the LEDs be visible or will they be behind clear frosted icon windows as the poster depicts? Is it going to look a lot different from Shinobi and DSX, both of which meet your description posted above? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Release it! Release it! I can't take it anymore.... you are the biggest theme-tease in all of theme-teasing history. You're killing me! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 08:15 PM

More on that later. There will be a lot of cool icons, though. I'll be replacing all of the system icons and also include templates for all types (drives, docs, directories, libraries, scripts, apps, objects) so industrious users can make their own.
You can easily make your own iContainers your self, so I don't see why that would be needed, but then again it's just as easy for BBX to have omega come with iContainers.

mrtew: I feel the same way, but it's best not to get over worked up about it cuz when it's finally out you'll be very happy. Also you should put it into perspective, it's just a theme and not a free G5 or something.

BBX: Do you still have that mailing list you had for when MIRAI was supposed to be out a year ago? If so it would be cool to have an email announcement for Omega's release. I know you had my email address, though it might be my old iTools address lol.
click one

Sage
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 08:34 PM

It'd be really awesome if the icons were installed with the theme (which, if I remember correctly, most themes such as Milk used to do) or installed by the user without the need for a shareware app... I know I've spouted this garble a lot, but I hate not being able to change my system-level icons just because of hyper-paranoid parents who think that the Internet is full of evil.

NetworkShadow - But, ya know, we do spend more time a day staring at the GUI than at our actual hardware... BTW, love the redesigned website! (As well as your Web Design class Final )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 01:29 AM

Ya the GUI is important, but isn't something to live for.

Thanks. I've been wanting to get some more time into my site... but school and work don't help. Hay it's also hosted on my friend's G4 cube.
click one

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
That really does sound cool. What color are the LEDs? Are they that cyan color in the poster? Will there be more than one color choice, and if not will you eventually make them, and if not will you allow mods posted?
Nope, if you read back a bit you'll see that the LED color has changed from that supersaturated greenblue to an X-ray azure. One color choice initially, but I may release additional colors down the road (although patching hundreds of icons, desktops, media player skins and app skins makes a wealth of color choices a huge pain in the ass). This isn't a situation whereby the theme is Aqua-like in the slightest, so doing 8 variations on the theme safe in the knowledge that any one of them will work visually with the system won't be true in this case.

I'm not sure how I feel about mods yet - if they're up to the quality of tweaks I might do myself, then I might consider it... but like I said, mod something like the LED color and you've really cut your work out for yourself. This is why I abandoned the original LED shade - it would be way too much for most people and changing it would be a giant pain. I'd like to see more meaningful derived contributions like desktops, Konfab widgets, app skins and hacks, etc.

As for DSX and Shinobi, I recall seeing each one when it came out, but it's been a while and any similarity is going to be either pure coincidence or imposed by the limitations of the system. Those that have seen Omega haven't made a single reference to either one, so I think I'm safe. At this point I'm inclined to avoid exposure to either DSX or Shinobi because I don't want to do any conscious comparison or inadvertently pick up any inspiration - so please don't post snaps of either in this topic

phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 01:42 PM

BBX, can you talk to me online sometime? We need to catch up on uh gaming and stuff. IM me on phillryu pleeeeease!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 05:33 PM

BBX,

Would there be some skins for the dock too?

I am using one of Max's dock skins for mercury.

Christian

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by christianclark:
BBX, Would there be some skins for the dock too?
Christian
Skins and poofs.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 12:07 PM

Well, after completing the scrollbars and progress bars (woot!) I realize I'll need to include a photosensitive siezure warning... I've done a ton of media players so I've got this strobing LED sequencing down to a science (man if we could only sequence widgets and control states) - while the effect is very cool, I'm thinking I just killed it for any epileptic users sensitive to strobing lights (my little brother being one of them). He's offered to crash-helmet test it for me (hehe - what a freak), but I think I'll decline Hey - I wonder if this will be the first theme ever with a 'WARNING: Photosensitive Siezure Alert!' tag... coooool

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 12:20 PM

Well, after completing the scrollbars and progress bars (woot!) I realize I'll need to include a photosensitive siezure warning... I've done a ton of media players so I've got this strobing LED sequencing down to a science (man if we could only sequence widgets and control states) - while the effect is very cool, I'm thinking I just killed it for any epileptic users sensitive to strobing lights (my little brother being one of them). He's offered to crash-helmet test it for me (hehe - what a freak), but I think I'll decline Hey - I wonder if this will be the first theme ever with a 'WARNING: Photosensitive Siezure Alert!' tag... coooool
lol, Sounds great

Forum Links
Forum Rules