Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My epic dual.

My epic dual.
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2010, 02:28 PM

So this morning was like any other - the daily grind of trying to be ontime going into downtown DC. As soon as I left my neighborhood, I realized I was going to have a fight on my hands. A spider about the size of a dime had made a home in my car overnight, and was crawling across the top of my windshield.

Being that my car is a stickshift and I was in constant traffic, I barely had a hand to spare to attempt to rid my car of my new little friend. At first, he crawled across my windshield. I quickly attempted to use my flip-flop to end this intrusion but the spider proved too fast for me. Several minutes pass, and again my little nemesis crawls this time down to the upper part of my dashboard. Once more, I was too slow - the spider had again eluded my grasp by ducking into a crevice too small for me to get to while driving.

Across the 90 minute commute, I must have gone after the little booger 6 or 7 times. Each time the spider came closer and closer to me for what I can only assume was his attempt to rid his new home of what he perceived to be the intruder - me.

When I got close to my final destination, the spider finally made a mistake. He crawled into the crevice between the very front of the roof upholstry and where the wiring for my rearview comes out of it. I noticed that the wireguard had come loose and upon his entry into this crevice, I trapped him inside of the roof to what I assumed would be his final resting place.

Though sad that I ended the spider's life, I was happy to know that my car was once again insect-free. Or so I had thought.

When I went out to my car this afternoon I lowered my driverside window and to my utter surprise my little friend was stuck to the top of the window...utterly squished. It dawned on me at that point, that the spider had somehow made his way out of the roof and onto the top of my partially opened window. When I closed the windows to leave my car, I unwittingly smooshed him. I realized that the spider, in the place where he expired, was no more than 4-5 inches from my head as I was driving and I was clueless. He was within striking distance and only by coincidence did I truly prevail in this epic 90 minute battle. A ping of sadness ran through me as I realized that this spider, against all odds, almost beat me.

Happy Labor Day everybody! Be safe!!!!!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2010, 02:35 PM

Nice.

Last night a spider in my living room dropped down and climbed his string like 5 times in a row. That's right – the asshole was taunting me via teabagging.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2010, 02:46 PM

Spiders aren't insects. The Spider won't hurt you if you just left it alone. The 4 yr old girl routine, being afraid of spiders and all is a pretty lame response.

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2010, 02:49 PM

I don't think I ever said I was afraid of spiders - but when they make webs in my car and leave there stuff on the inside of my windshield I'd prefer to not have them. I welcome them around my house.

But thanks for crapping on my thread. -Respect for Badkosh.

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Nice.

Last night a spider in my living room dropped down and climbed his string like 5 times in a row. That's right – the asshole was taunting me via teabagging.
Hahaha, yeah. They seem to love my car. I'm not sure why or how they get in but during certain times of the year I leave my car overnight only to find webs IN my car and across the inside of my windshield.

Did you get him or is he still hanging out (pun intended) in your living room?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2010, 02:54 PM

He will be vacuumed this weekend.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2010, 03:29 PM

When I was little I found a tiny silk pod on the side of my house. I thought it was a caterpillar, and for some reason, I thought I'd help it out of its cocoon.

So I tore it open and about a million little tiny spiders ran out and all over my hand. More spiders than could possibly fit in that little tiny ball.

I ran pretty fast for a fat kid.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2010, 03:57 PM

I don't fear spiders either, but if a big gnarly one jumped on my leg I'd scream like a girl.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2010, 04:13 PM

Nice story - classic epic struggle of man vs beast.

Have a great Labor Day everyone!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2010, 05:13 PM

I’m only fearful of Black Widows; when I find them outside, they get the orange oil treatment.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Spiders aren't insects. The Spider won't hurt you if you just left it alone. The 4 yr old girl routine, being afraid of spiders and all is a pretty lame response.
You forgot to bring up misspelling "duel" in the title, jerkface

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2010, 07:50 PM

That's quite a web of trouble you got yourself in!

Rumor
Sep 4, 2010, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Nice.

Only you could be teabagged by a spider. You weren't playing a shooter at the time were you?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Only you could be teabagged by a spider. You weren't playing a shooter at the time were you?
If he sat there and watched it go up and down five times, I'm tempted to think that there were some illegal substances involved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules