Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Infrared problem with Powerbook G3

Infrared problem with Powerbook G3
Sivakumar T
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2001, 06:25 AM

Hello,

My Powerbook Pismo model has Infrared port enabled (according to the extensions and controlpanel). I brought a PC laptop with an infrared port near it, with the idea of using IrDA to transfer data between the two. In the PC, my G3 appeared as a Infrared device in range. However, the G3 did not see the PC at all. The Infrared controlpanel was displaying 'No devices in range' or something like that. Is there any obvious setting I am missing. I am running OS 9.1 (OS X is also installed in the same disk, but boot thru 9.1 only). Thanks

Siva

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 07:18 AM

Welcome to MacNN, Sivakumar T.

Anyway, there really isn't a way to network them via infrared. I reserrve infrared for synching my Palm or using my Nokia phone as a wireless modem.

There's really no protocol that runs over IrDA to communicate between a Mac and a PC.

bighead
Senior User
Aug 10, 2001, 12:33 PM

i also don't know of any way to transfer between the two. i'd totally say to go with ethernet and a crossover cable anyways, since your irda only runs at 4 megabits per second, and your ethernet runs at either 10 or 100 megabits per second.

wireless may be spiffy, but it just isn't fast enough.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 11:09 PM

You might look into DAVE or something to connect the two. It's really hard to network a PC and a Mac.

The only other way I can think of is having the PC run an FTP server and upload/download files from that. Set your Mac and PC to IP addresses within the range of 192.168.0.xxx. Connect to the PC from Internet Explorer or Network Browser as ftp://192.168.0.y (where "y" is the IP you set the PC).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 12, 2001, 11:33 AM

Well, in theory you could use a terminal application such as Z-Term on the Mac, and a Z-modem compatible terminal on the PC, and have them both use the IrDA port as the serial port. But I agree that a crossover cable is a better solution since it's much faster.

tooki

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2001, 11:46 AM

A crossover cable is definitely the better solution.

I have never been able to get a Mac and a PC to talk to each other. When I need to transfer files, I use an FTP server/Hotline server to transfer data over a network/crossover cable link.

Sivakumar T  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2001, 06:51 AM

Thanks to all who replied. My PC laptop has a PC Lan card, with a cable. I have a cross cable which will not go in to the card. So I was looking for alternate solutions. Now, it looks like, I have to use a hub to interconnect. Thanks again.

Siva

PS: My original question was to try and find out, why my PC was not getting recognized my my Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules