Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > 404 check?

404 check?
ehunt
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2001, 02:30 AM

Can anybody recommend a good 404 checker for a large portal website...about 30 pages of links?

Surfed the net and found a few that do a page at a time...or software for the PC...what about the mac?
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Raman
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by ehunt:
<STRONG>Can anybody recommend a good 404 checker for a large portal website...about 30 pages of links?

Surfed the net and found a few that do a page at a time...or software for the PC...what about the mac?</STRONG>
you mean something that looks for broken links?
if you're using dreamweaver you can do a report of broken links, orphan images, etc..

the download works for 30 days - long enough for you to figure out how do do the report.

-raman

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2001, 03:16 AM

momspider works well.
it's in perl.
I don't like perl, but this works well (and no, I don't want to hear how great perl is, or php for that matter).
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Raman
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2001, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
<STRONG>momspider works well.
it's in perl.
I don't like perl, but this works well (and no, I don't want to hear how great perl is, or php for that matter).</STRONG>
ARE YOU NUTS! PERL IS GREAT! HOW DARE YOU PUT PHP AND PERL IN THE SAME SENTENCE!!

No, really. Use the best tool for the job - many times the socket wrench, adjustable wrench, and crescent wrench (and sometimes pliers) work just as well.

No holy wars here.

ehunt  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2001, 09:22 PM

thanks guys...downloaded MomSpider but don't have a clue on how to use it or how to use perl until I learn I'll give Dreamweaver's check a try!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2001, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
<STRONG>momspider works well.
it's in perl.
I don't like perl, but this works well (and no, I don't want to hear how great perl is, or php for that matter).</STRONG>
Out of honest curiosity, then, what do you use, if not Perl or PHP? I know there are plenty of options, so I'm curious as to what you prefer.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ehunt  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2001, 09:44 PM

I downloaded this app - VSE Link Tester 3.2.1

But it won't connect to the net? (I'm on cable) Anyone know about it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules