Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Dealing with Bugs in Adobe Illustrator 10

Dealing with Bugs in Adobe Illustrator 10
aprilcarter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2003, 01:24 PM

Dealing with Bugs in Adobe Illustrator 10

With Mac OS X, I have all of the most current versions of applications. There is a weird set of problems on Illustrator 10, and I thought I'd at least offer a heads up and work-around suggestions, since the Adobe folks haven't figured it out yet.

Especially when working with a complicated file (placed images, transparency, masks, etc.), if you save as an EPS and try to save over it, sometimes (but not always) the error "File cannot be saved. Illustration is busy or in use." will pop-up.

I have been working with someone at Adobe to find a cause and solution, and all that's been pinpointed is that it doesn't happen with AI files... only with EPS files (at least for me). If all of the data is selected and pasted into a new document and saved as an EPS, the error doesn't show, but the problems with that are left-behind guides and all of the copied data ending up in one layer.

Until a solution is found, the easiest method for me for working around it is:

a) working in AI format
b) saving as EPS for placement
c) making changes to the original AI format
d) either throwing away EPS version and saving AI file as same-named EPS, or saving as EPS with new name

My folder then has the following items in it:
workfile_art.ai
workfile_art1.eps
workfile_art2.eps
workfile_art3.eps

Once it's determined what version is the final, the extraneous EPS files can be thrown away or put into an unsued art folder, and the AI file should be retained for any future alterations.

If anyone has other suggestions for workarounds or solutions, I'd like to hear them.

-----------

April M. Carter offers designers and illustrators advice about successfully bridging the gap between art and commerce. She can be contacted at [email protected].

Tmaxx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2003, 05:36 PM

Hi April,

How do you like Illustrator in OSX? I have been considering getting it to mess with. Is the performance good? How about fonts?

Thanks

aprilcarter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2003, 06:53 PM

Sorry for the delay, TMaxx.

I like Illustrator 10 a lot. Besides the bug I talked about the last time around, it has a lot of effects that used to require more complicated Illustrator work and/or Photoshop work... alone, the ability to make objects transparent is a great advance (although I think Corel's had that capability for awhile), but there's also:

- what seem to be a more sophisticated/sensitive brush and pencil tools.
- a cool flare tool, which I've used only on web graphics (so can't vouch for its effectiveness in print).
- the free transform tool which replaces having to type command-E.
- improved gradient mesh tool that doesn't require typing in the specs.
- cool polar grid tool which I have yet to use beside messing around.
- other things I'm still discovering.

One thing I do miss is the easy importing of PMS libraries (I don't remember what version last had that available). If anyone has suggestions on doing that if it's still possible, I'd be interested in learning more.

Overall, AI 10 is definitely worth the money!

April M Carter

LavalampCrtv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 11:05 AM

April,
yes, you can add any color library like before. to open any color library in ill 10, simply go to:

window > swatch libraries > other libraries...

then browse to where you have your additional library, and open it. You can even make your own custom library as an illustrator document (or use any other illustrator document) and it will take the swatches palette from that document as a color library. Hope that helps.

--jdf

Forum Links
Forum Rules