Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Six Tips for the Organized Management of Multiple Projects

Six Tips for the Organized Management of Multiple Projects
aprilcarter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2003, 06:32 PM

Six Tips for the Organized Management of Multiple Projects
by April M. Carter

It's hard to manage a single graphics project, but when work is abundant, the prospect of managing multiple projects can be daunting enough to keep you from being efficient. Following are some of my suggestions for successful project-juggling.

ONE: Establish and implement paper and electronic filing systems. A very simple organization system can keep things easy and accessible.

One of my employers named jobs A001, A002, and so on (after A999 came B001). If a job lasted a lot longer than the ones near it (i.e., we'd have jobs A101, A233, A234, A236, and A239 open), we'd "retire" the old job and leave a note of reference in the folder: "see new job A240." As soon as a job was specified, we'd log it in as the next number in a ledger with a description and columns for when it was opened, closed, billed, and received.

Digital files were organized by client, then by job number. See fig. 1.

Billing worked as follows: every month of the year had a Quark file with a Master Page set-up for the invoices sent out that month. Once a bill was processed (including the job # was the only reference necessary for ourselves), it was marked in the ledger, and copies were put into the job folder and an UNPAID invoices section in the ledger binder (sectioned by month). Once received, the invoice was stamped/dated and moved to the PAID section of the ledger binder (also sectioned by month).

-----

Another employer manufactured about six different product types (each composed of several elements), for our purposes called A, B, C, D, E, F (but I'll just show A). On our servers, projects were organized by product type, then alphabetically with suffixes indicating the product type, then by element (AD, PO, FL) with actual item number. See fig. 2. (This may seem like overkill, but when thousands of files are on multiple servers or archived and different product types might use the same name, it's nice to be able to identify the exact product and what element it is just by the file name.)

-----

I now employ a hybrid of these and a couple of other organization systems. I think my method is simple and logical: When I open a job, I enter it into a ledger. A job name is assigned by template type and date; for instance, if I was requested to do an 8-page brochure today, I would enter it as M8_030603 BROCHURE DESCRIPTION.M8 tells me what template was used, and the number is the date... so if I have an idea of when a job was done, I can look through the files (which are filed chronologically, back of drawer to front of drawer so the most recent are nearest).

Digital files are categorized by job number, since everything is internal. Universal, multiply used files (like those used from time to time in dynamic emails or web pages) and warehouses of graphics and library items are categorized differently. See fig. 3 and fig. 4. (This may seem like overkill as well, but having the ability to know exactly where a folder came from and what job a specific file is associated with is a comfort to me... annoying little mistakes like accidentally moving a file into a folder without seeing what folder it went into can be easily rectified.)

TWO: Learn and use the organization system.

You'll become especially impressive to bosses or clients if you're able to follow every whim as if everything is always at your fingertips. Teach someone else the system. If you're laid up in County with a broken leg, the last thing you want to do is explain to your assistant where "that file" is. If it's hard for someone else to learn, assume they're not stupid and that you made it too complicated.

THREE: Give things priority. Several times, I have had to fight with bosses about this one: "Everything cannot be top priority. Just like it's not humanly possible to give 110%." Just say that a few times, and it'll soak in. Don't miss deadlines, but don't become mousy every time the boss comes in with a crisis, either.

Sometimes I have a hard time getting anything done because I can't get past knowing how much needs to be done. When I notice that happening, I clear off my desk and file away everything except for the five (or fewer) most important jobs. Taking a minute just to make the area around me clear helps me focus and be less panicky... for awhile, anyway. Once I've narrowed my priorities, I concentrate on getting things to the stages of being out of my hands, even if temporarily. For example, if my current, most important tasks are:

1. Sketching ideas for the company's new look
2. Placing a printing order
3. Making alterations the boss suggested and wants to see again
4. Uploading a job archive to a vendor
5. Brainstorming ad ideas

I'd start 4, then do 2 and 3 while it's uploading (it takes awhile). In basically one fell swoop, things are in other people's hands and I've narrowed my immediate priorities to two items. It's hard to brainstorm and sketch when the prospect of multiple unattended mechanical tasks is looming, so I've freed my time and my mind a little bit.

FOUR: Consider establishing procedures or checklists for repetitive tasks. If you find that they follow patterns, deeming jobs series of familiar tasks may make them seem less daunting.

Procedures could include time constraints on brainstorming or sketching (personal deadlines) or the use of templates or standard paper types, ink colors, and document sizes so you aren't going crazy making every single job have every criterion different was ever used before. (There are exceptions to this of course, but I'm a big fan of using different folds and design to make two sheets of the same paper markedly different.)

Checklists may help with proofreading or submitting jobs. Whenever I have an email campaign to order (twice or three times a week), I use a template that ensures my completeness and consistency (and feedback has proven that the vendor appreciates consistency in orders). It would be waster energy to re-type Job name:, File name:, From:, Reply-to:, Mailing List, etc. every time.

FIVE: Keep everything, and keep it organized. I've mentioned before that I file from front to back and keep everything.

Filing chronologically helps if you need to rebuild a job or need to play mind-reader when a client wants to revert to a previous version. Retaining everything covers your ass or shows your liability... when mistakes happen, it's necessary to have an accurate picture of who screwed up so you can seek retribution from a vendor, (gently) tell the client they were wrong and you just did as you were asked, or (gently) admit to your mistake and take the guff.

SIX: If you're overwhelmed or unfocused, fix it by getting help or taking a break.

If you can afford an assistant or work in an office with lackeys, don't be afraid to use them. I'm not in the habit of abusing anyone, but it is immensely helpful to have support staff to type, fax, make calls, or re-organize your files if you've tornado-ed through them in a rampage.

---

April M. Carter offers designers and illustrators advice about successfully bridging the gap between art and commerce. She can be contacted at [email protected].

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 07:54 PM

good tips! Thanks.

A random tip, to web designers:

Comment the hell out of your code until the project is out of your lap. You'd be surprised how much time can be saved instead of paging through pages of code looking for a function, just to do a search for a plain english comment. ie. Say I'm paging through a complex actionscript that does...say, grabs some xml parses it, then has a few functions in there saying *if* there is more than blank posts, make the 'next page' button active. I'd comment everything from "xml data being loaded" "xml data loaded" "parsing xml data" "xml data does this for that" "xml data does that for this" "next page button activation"

etc etc etc, at the end of the project, make a duplicate of your files and do a batch search and replace to remove your comments and you are good to go.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 11:02 PM

You're over complicating something that should be very simple.

At my first graphics job in pre-press and graphics we organized every job by a job number like; 123456 (for example).

All jobs since the beginning were stored on our server or were backed-up to readable media. Jobs that got backed-up were catalogued using simple catalogueing software that you can even get for free online.

Months, even years later; that client would want job # 123456 revised/changed, and thus, it became a new job number. For that company it was whatever number was available "next", or in "ascending" order. By then it might have been 234567 or something

So, when revisions came back we'd go back to job# 123456 and pull it-up and make said changes. Then save it under the new job number.

Job numbers and so forth were stored and kept in a database by another department, which is, how it should be in the first place (Unless you're freelancing, in which case whatever system works best for you). When a job that required a reference came in, that department would write down that reference job number on the bottom of the job ticket. In this way, we'd know exactly which version to pull-up to make changes to.

Anyway, I've worked several graphics jobs and everyplace has thier own system. So far, the above example was the most efficient I've run accross.

I've also worked in places where people were like "I'm sure we did that design before", but they either hadn't saved it, or they didn't come-up with a system for looking it up. Therefor said design had to be completely RE-Designed from scratch.

Don't keep paperwork and paper files either. It's just a waste of space and time. If you need to keep a copy of a proof you sent out though, that's probably a good thing.

MikeM
( Last edited by MikeM33; Jun 9, 2003 at 11:16 PM. )

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2003, 11:06 AM

there's something wrong with the world, but yeah, what mike said. Most places I've worked use the number tracking system very much like he described.

aprilcarter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2003, 08:55 AM

The suggestions I made are based on numbers, either just ascending or based on date. I think you're right... simpler is better (the goal being always to have it be virtually learn-able by someone just walking in).

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Jun 19, 2003, 08:31 PM

This thread is very helpful! I had a difficult time setting up a filing system and job log for my department. There was no filing system in place before I took over, so I had to create one to keep organized. I'm thinking it's a little complicated and tedious to deal with, but here goes:

1. All jobs are separated into our major product offerings LDS, TAL, WIR, and COR.
2. Jobs are then sub categorized for the media PRI, RAD, TV, PRE, SIG(Print, Radio, TV, Prepress, Signageetc...)
3. Next the Job # contains the year produced.
4. The next number is a sequential number for the year.

Looks like this: CORPRI03-001 (Corporate - Print - 2003 - 001)

The final digital files are stored on our server, and currently my dilemma is in filing the paper files. It is mandatory to keep the hard copies as they are signed off by our Board of Directors as approved. We've been filing it by the product offerings, but I'm wondering if it'll be more simple filing sequentially. How do you file?

We've had this system in place since late last year, and I'm to blame because I have not been enforcing the filing as I should have.
I'm looking to streamline the system. Any suggestions?

--Jonas

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 06:55 AM

I've always felt the best system for storing and archiving files should also be the simplest. I mean, if you're working in a huge art department and someone new comes-in, you really want things to be as simple for him or her to understand as possible. This way everyone can get on to the real artwork they're supposed to be doing, instead of worrying over how to name thier files and where to file them.

As for over-complicating things. don't even ask me about how I set-up the first server I proposed at my first Graphics gig. To me, it was simple, until my supervisor herself had some words to say about it.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

MikeM
( Last edited by MikeM33; Jun 20, 2003 at 07:03 AM. )

aprilcarter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 06:35 PM

I think jonasmac's system is easily learnable... that's the main thing. If it makes sense to you and can make sense to anyone coming in after five minutes of studying it/hearing it explained, fine by me. There's no one way to do it.

aprilcarter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 06:38 PM

By the way, with regard to paper filing... I would do it sequentially, by year. The project types would be mixed, but the suffix numbers (03-003, 03-004, etc.) would follow in order. I personally think it's necessary to be cognizant of what projects were done next to others... seeing one may pique the memory, and related projects may be nearby in filing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules