Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RAID Mirroring with built in SATA Drives?

RAID Mirroring with built in SATA Drives?
rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 01:28 PM

I have two 250 GB SATA internal drives, and would like to do RAID Mirroring...Has anyone done this, how does it work, and...does it slow anything down???

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

MikeyMoves
Oct 27, 2003, 09:36 PM

I am not 100% sure you can have the startup volume on the raid setup. Also, if you are starting up on the raid volume, your performance will take a hit for sure. Your best bet is to get a firewire 800 HD and stick a 40 or 60GB HD in it and boot of the external drive and set up the two internal drives in a raid 0 or 3 configuration. 0 for speed and performance, or 3 for parity and safety.
933 Quicksilver SUPERMACHINE!
iMac DV SE 500
Vic 20

rlmorel  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 10:09 PM

Thanks, mikeymoves. I guess I am not going to get fancy about it, then. I will just do what I have always done, use Carbon Copy Cloner about once a month to back up to my second internal drive.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules