Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > FIRST MAC... LAST MAC!!!! G5 1.6ghz worst experience ever!!!

FIRST MAC... LAST MAC!!!! G5 1.6ghz worst experience ever!!!
dankim723
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 10:18 PM

So basically, i get the G5 and it starts working.. fast forward a week... FREEZING, NOISE, CRASHING, FANS SPINNING OUT OF CONTROL!!! I've taken the computer back in twice now and its still freezing... Apple says i have had 37 entries made on my case # regarding my computer and still i'm at square one... this is terrible... They replaced my powersupply because it was making this weezing noise but that only was a temp fix... seems like they don't know why my comp is freezing and they keep saying that it's a softwear issue.. the only problem with that theory is that it's crashed with several different applications... office X has had the most issues but others like IE have been crashing as well...

The same applications have been installed in a g4 pb and they work fine.. why don't they run on the g5!!! I've been a long time PC user and it took me a lot to finally switch over.. i used to talk highly of the mac machines but now i have a new story... here it goes...

I am Daniel... i was a PC user.. i sold macs at a mac retailer for 5 years to hundreds of customers... i make music, design websites, and dabble in video editing... after seeing all the ads and hearing wonderful stories... i NEED A MAC!!!

I am Daniel, i bought a mac... i want this mac to work.. this mac does not work.. i called apple support over 20 times.. this mac is still not working.. apple says that it is too late for an exchange... apple sent me extra ram to shut me up... apple did not fix my computer.. Apple says i have to bring the computer back in for repairs again.. I have spent over 4 weeks dealing with this mess and it still isn't fixed.. i feel like apple's test animal... try this, try that.. man.... JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS!!!! reformat, reinstall, first aid, reinstall, uninstall, CRASH! ERRR...

I am Daniel, I'm on a mac forum... i hate my MAC.. i am going back to PC!

if anyone reads this and has ANY INFO on what i can do... help me be a believer of macs again.. please speak up... if not... then .. GOODBYE MAC WORLD!! (oh btw..i worked macworld and am a apple gold certified agent! Isn't that a joke!)

oh i wrote a message on apple.com and they took off my post.. this is hilarious:

Your post titled "G5 Worst Computer Experience EVER!!!" has been removed from Apple Discussions. Posts including (but not limited to) any of the following are not appropriate:

* Discussions of Apple policies and procedures (including pricing and repair policies)
* Speculations/rumors about future Apple decisions
* Questions/rumors about unreleased products
* Posts in the technical forums that are not directly related to a technical support issue
* Polls, petitions, auctions, or advertisements
* Posts that are only complaints
* Posts which contain or imply abusive or obscene language
* Posts which are abusive to other Discussions users

Please see the Overview section at http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX/help for more information on the purpose of the Apple discussion forums, as well as the terms and conditions for posting on Apple Discussions. Each Discussion user is required to agree to these terms before gaining posting privileges. You reserve the right to not post on Apple Discussions should you disagree with these terms.

Sometimes you have comments or concerns for which there is no technical response. If you need the kind of help that a troubleshooting expert can't provide, you can call Apple's Customer Relations group.

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 10:37 PM

Ok, this is what you need to do.

Call apple, tell the first person that you speak to that you need to talk to the highest manager you possibly can. You bought a G5 just a week ago (or however long ago), and it's been nothing but a disaster, The only thing you will accept is a replacement.

This should get you at least to level 2, keep going upwards and tell them that 1. this is totally unacceptable for someone who has sold macs for years, 2. what support you have gotten so far is a mere joke, and 3. if they do not comply you will report them to the better business buereau and MIGHT (might is the key) have to hire a lawyer and seek legal action.

I'm sorry you've had to put up with this, hopefully it gets taken care of!
Aloha

Tetsuo
Nov 10, 2003, 10:38 PM

I am probably going to be buying my first mac in a couple weeks, hopefully my experience won't be as bad as yours. I'm probably going to be getting a Powerbook though.

That's pretty funny about the response from Apple.com lol

dankim723  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 10:45 PM

i did that.. i have spoken with 3 customer service supervisors (level 2) and 3 head techs (level 2.. funny because they say there is no level 3 and that they those techs don't take phone calls) anyway... i actually got in contact with my old manager from the mac retailer (wont say.. but one of the bigger ones) and asked him to push it to the right people.. who knows.. but i really want to keep this but i'm highly contemplating selling it on ebay or recycler.. maybe just take my losses and use it to a nice flat panel for my pc and maybe a nice pair of slippers from brookstone... i dunno.. but this has been a dreadful experience and i have threatened to contact bbb and i was actually on thier site before i started thinking of just making some post to see what other people had to say...

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 10:59 PM

Some lessons on how call centers are run that might help.

Tier 1's are the guys who have to answer the phones all day and are the rank and file. Often they know something but are unable to spend tons of time helping you because their job is to pound as many calls as possible.

Tier 2's are the guys who have to deal with the escalated calls. They would deal with issues like yours. Sometimes they'll involve the help of the Tier 3's but most are plenty competent. Also, they have wherewithal to work with management to get things done.

Tier 3 guys are project manager types who generally are exempt from the whole call center nightmare unless something really horrible happened.

In your case, it sounds like something really weird happened with your machine. Noise could be symptomatic of a fan with a bad bearing. As far as freezing - I've seen this occur with hard drives starting to die (again,
probably a bad bearing).

But curiously I'd like to know if you're using Panther or Jaguar.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Sounds like their call center doesn't understand your problem. Not altogether unusual when it's a new product.

dankim723  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 11:14 PM

i was on jaguar.. here is another funny story.. a tech agent said i shouldn't have upgraded to 10.2.8 because the g5 can handle it... so she recommended a complete reformat and reinstall (can i say nightmare... it was a long enough process converting over to mac..backing up files... converting my outlook files to mac..i had to use dos to do that also.. black screens are the worst).. i was like "what???" but i trusted her and she said quote "FOR SURE this will work" i'm glad they had thier online training with their handy answer sheets to help them take thier tests... bottom line.. Apple is a "funny" company.. funny meaning like the guy you see on the street just walking back and forth with a twitch in his eye kinda funny.. I have to take the machine in again (to comply with thier system of troubleshooting issues) and wait for them to tell me again.. we could not find any hardware issues.. WELL DONT JUST RUN THE DISK GUYS!!! DO A DEPTH TEST ON IT AND DON'T GIVE IT BACK UNTILL YOU FIND OUT THE PROBLEM! errr frustrating...

dankim723  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 11:20 PM

oh but i'm on panther now.... the f9 thing is nifty but dosen't make my computer run any better...

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2003, 12:12 AM

I love the way you write, Daniel.

Do you know Fat Barry?

You rank right up there with him. Among the best at MacNN in my opinion.

rogerkylin
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 08:15 AM

My two cents..

Overall Quality:

I believe Apple quality tends to be better than PC's. However, there are still going to be bad computers in the line and as someone mentioned above, it is a new line... not an excuse, but a fact of life. That is why some other discussions on this board suggested waiting until Rev. B. We get a lot of PC's at work, and bad components/computers is something we expect to have with some regularity.

Apple Support/Sales:

I think they've gotten some awards, but from the customer perspective, I don't know of many companies that have great customer service. I've been happy with Apple if they know what the problem is, or they know there is an issue (original base station restart problem).

However, like many phone support/sales people, it can be frustrating when you know what the problem is/isn't more than the person who is supposed to be helping you.

Summary:

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your first mac. I think if you stick it out, you will be happy. Hopefully Apple will do the right thing and replace your g5, and perhaps study your current one to understand what problems are occuring.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 09:01 AM

Regarding automobiles, at least, a lot of states have "lemon" laws. And some companies have policies about it. If you squeak loudly enough you should be able to get Apple to regard your machine as a lemon. I think you should insist on a *complete replacement*. Please don't sell it *anywhere*! so somone else has to deal with it. YOU deserve better, too. Your unit should not be in any customer's hands till it has had full workover by Apple's refurb dept.

Lemon happens. A new unit is in order.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by dankim723:
So basically, i get the G5 and it starts working.. fast forward a week... FREEZING, NOISE, CRASHING, FANS SPINNING OUT OF CONTROL!!! I've taken the computer back in twice now and its still freezing... Apple says i have had 37 entries made on my case # regarding my computer and still i'm at square one... this is terrible... They replaced my powersupply because it was making this weezing noise but that only was a temp fix... seems like they don't know why my comp is freezing and they keep saying that it's a softwear issue.. the only problem with that theory is that it's crashed with several different applications... office X has had the most issues but others like IE have been crashing as well...

The same applications have been installed in a g4 pb and they work fine.. why don't they run on the g5!!! I've been a long time PC user and it took me a lot to finally switch over.. i used to talk highly of the mac machines but now i have a new story... here it goes...

I am Daniel... i was a PC user.. i sold macs at a mac retailer for 5 years to hundreds of customers... i make music, design websites, and dabble in video editing... after seeing all the ads and hearing wonderful stories... i NEED A MAC!!!

I am Daniel, i bought a mac... i want this mac to work.. this mac does not work.. i called apple support over 20 times.. this mac is still not working.. apple says that it is too late for an exchange... apple sent me extra ram to shut me up... apple did not fix my computer.. Apple says i have to bring the computer back in for repairs again.. I have spent over 4 weeks dealing with this mess and it still isn't fixed.. i feel like apple's test animal... try this, try that.. man.... JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS!!!! reformat, reinstall, first aid, reinstall, uninstall, CRASH! ERRR...

if anyone reads this and has ANY INFO on what i can do... help me be a believer of macs again.. please speak up... if not... then .. GOODBYE MAC WORLD!! (oh btw..i worked macworld and am a apple gold certified agent! Isn't that a joke!)

oh i wrote a message on apple.com and they took off my post.. this is hilarious:

Your post titled "G5 Worst Computer Experience EVER!!!" has been removed from Apple Discussions. Posts including (but not limited to) any of the following are not appropriate:

* Discussions of Apple policies and procedures (including pricing and repair policies)
* Posts in the technical forums that are not directly related to a technical support issue

Please see the Overview section at http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX/help for more information on the purpose of the Apple discussion forums, as well as the terms and conditions for posting on Apple Discussions. Each Discussion user is required to agree to these terms before gaining posting privileges. You reserve the right to not post on Apple Discussions should you disagree with these terms.

Sometimes you have comments or concerns for which there is no technical response. If you need the kind of help that a troubleshooting expert can't provide, you can call Apple's Customer Relations group.

Can you give specifics? Right now, it all just sounds like a mad rant. If this is how you behaved with apple I can understand if they did not help you. Heck, I don't believe you. You worked for 5 years selling macs? Really?

You may be 100% right and this is a good place to come for help. But this rant will get you nowhere. You have told us nothing at all.
( Last edited by Anand; Nov 11, 2003 at 03:50 PM. )
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

coolmacdude
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 03:34 PM

i was on jaguar.. here is another funny story.. a tech agent said i shouldn't have upgraded to 10.2.8 because the g5 can_[sic] handle it...
I sympathize with your situation but if that was the reason for your problem, you have no one but yourself to blame. Apple clearly warned on the 10.2.8 update that it was NOT for G5s. I know it wouldn't have been in your SW update so that means you downloaded and installed it separately without reading the info. 10.2.8 did not contain the requisite code for the 970. Although I'm not sure how, it is entirely possible you fscked up your hardware by doing this.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Chinasaur
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 09:10 PM

5th Post, sold Macs "for two years"

Sorry..I call FUD
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 09:14 PM

This whole thing sounds a litle far-fetched. Did you install the 10.2.8 that was not meant for g5's?????

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 09:21 PM

If I recall last time I was at apple's download site they DID have a build of 10.2.8 for G5s:

in fact I was right:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25576
Aloha

HodyOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by powerbook867:
This whole thing sounds a litle far-fetched. Did you install the 10.2.8 that was not meant for g5's?????
I have to agree with these guys. This sounds like BS. It's a bunch of vague references to problems with very little specifics.

But just so anyone considering a G5 doesn't get swayed by this, I have a dual G5 and know several others with various flavors of G5's and have seen only minor problems. In addition, when I have had troubles with my computer in the past, Apple has been very responsive (DOA Pismo PB promptly replaced).

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 11:09 PM

There are 2 versions of 10.2.8 if I remember correctly. One for the 970 processor and another version for all other macs...I'm getting old, so I could be wrong...

Joe

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 11:54 PM

Daniel,
I can understand why Apple deleted your post, if it was anything like the one you entered here. There is nothing in your post that can even remotely be considered constructive or useful for a constructive communication.

If you just want to rant, that is okay, but it is difficult to take you seriously if you do. Try to tone down the noise.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2003, 09:23 AM

We finally got a really good troll-I've been waiting for one of those. This thread should have been locked long ago. If there really is an owner of a malfunctioning G5 named Daniel, he needs to really get a life. Anyone who would seriously write such a disjointed, ambiguous, whiny post with the hope of receiving useful information in return is immature and/or stupid. It's time to stop feeding the trolls.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 09:30 AM

I have dual G5 and w/ the exception of my poor choice in RAM. I couldn't be any happier now. this is my third Mac and I've never even come close to having the problems you describe. I've read too many posts about how sweet this thing is to think you either ended up w/ a lemon and/or jacked it up w/ all the third-party PC stuff you migrated over. If it were software related, the "reformat" (as you call it, sounds a bit trollish though I've never heard an Apple enthusiast refer to the reinstallation of an OS a reformat. would've solved the problem. Sorry man, your amount of problems just don't happen more than 1% of the time. I'd straight ask for a replacement. but,but,but...No, I need a replacement. Period.

Also wanted to ask; video editing, music production, website design? Why on earth did you get the least of the G5's available?

I'm assuming you were probably nice the first 10 calls, but yeah-if you're not kind, you will run into nothing, but trouble. I know it's hard to suck it up, but that's just the truth.

Sounds like you got a bad one, the chances of you getting another bad one like this are like...well...darn near impossible.
ebuddy

atFault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 10:49 AM

I kinda have a Dual G5 and I couldn't be more disappointed. So far I have used it three days out of the three weeks I have owned it. It has mostly been in the shop or taking up my time with trouble shooting. I must say that my initial reaction to my problems was to rant, but restrained myself with the hope of getting help from the forums. I completely understand Dankim's frustration, but agree that it is somewhat misdirected.

Reading the forums, it seems that there are a number of G5s with bad logic boards. Are there anymore than usual for a model? I have no idea, but this is a distinct possibility for the symptoms that he is getting and warrants further investigation.

Did I get a lemon? Maybe, but I hope not. I expect it is just a bad logic board and it will soon be up an running properly. Once that is fixed I will likely be struggling with Apple to replace my iPod which I believe was damaged while connected to the defective G5.

Ciao, atFault

ourisman
Nov 12, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
Regarding automobiles, at least, a lot of states have "lemon" laws. And some companies have policies about it. If you squeak loudly enough you should be able to get Apple to regard your machine as a lemon. I think you should insist on a *complete replacement*. Please don't sell it *anywhere*! so somone else has to deal with it. YOU deserve better, too. Your unit should not be in any customer's hands till it has had full workover by Apple's refurb dept.

Lemon happens. A new unit is in order.
If you purchased the computer with a credit card, you can initiate a dispute with the credit card company -- in other words, dispute the charge on the basis of your belief that the machine is defective and Apple has been unable to repair it.

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 09:42 PM

Dude, you just got unlucky this time, that's all. A small number of bad machines are always going to find their way into the hands of users. That is inevitable. Since you sold Macs in retail for 5 years, you must be in an area populated enough to have a Mac retailer, and thusly you're probably near an Apple Store. Now, if you plunk your G5 down on the Genius Bar of an Apple Store and explain to them what's wrong with it, I guarantee they will fix it. If these problems with your machine are something that isn't noticeable immediately after turning the machine on, ask them to run the machine in the store for a day after they think they've got it repaired. They will straighten out your machine or simply replace it for you, guaranteed. You'll have much better luck in an Apple Store than you have with the monkeys at the other end of Apple's tech support phone number.

By the way, if you had listed all of the software you've installed on your G5 (most importantly any 3rd party utilities and freeware) and a list of the hardware you're using with your Powermac, we could probably have helped you. It sounds to me like you've either got some incompatible 3rd party software running in the background on your system, a bad Motherboard or bad RAM.

Have you tried running the machine with only the new RAM Apple sent you? Have you tried erasing your system and running it with JUST the included software? Are you running your G5 with the internal plastic cover removed? Does the room where your Powermac is located have terrible power outlets? Are you running the machine in a room below 50� F or above 95� F? Have you placed any foreign objects inside of your G5's case, such as a coffee cup, a mammal, or some type of fabric? These are all questions that you should ask yourself...
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 10:44 PM

Don't feed the troll


Chinasaur
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 11:04 PM

I smell Halloween/Valentine.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2003, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Don't feed the troll

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2003, 01:01 AM

Bull Crap is all I can say.

A friend of mine got a crap Mac once. I'll admit that it was bad. It must have been damaged in transport or something.

It maked noise etc. etc.

He took it back.

bla bla bla...

he took it back...

bla bla bla...

he took it back

They gave him a new computer.

IN THE US, IT'S THE LAW.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2003, 01:03 AM

Notice the post count of the people with all the
"trouble"

Strange that nobody seems to have an issue with a post count over 100!?!

coolmacdude
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
"trouble"

Yeah, because the people with real problems follow up on their posts, whereas the trolls just leave after their day of amusement is over.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2003, 08:35 AM

I vote this post should be locked or removed. This is a crap topic, and its entertainment value has passed....mods?

Please don't feed the trolls...they are like stray cats that never go away after you feed them one time!

Joe

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 09:00 AM

I think we need the MacNN editors/moderators to add a new Smiley, the :troll:


DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2003, 05:45 PM

feed the trolls to the orks

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2003, 11:58 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having. I'm looking for a G5. Post your asking price, or email me the specifics at [email protected], and I'll overnight certified funds to you if we can strike a deal.

Thanks, and kind regards,

danbrew

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2003, 10:46 AM

OMFG....so yesterday at work, I tried to load XP on my 486...it gets to the splash screen for the install and then it hangs!!!! f&ckin Packard Bell POS....I think there is something wrong with all Packard Bells....they must all be garbage....oh wait...they were all garbage....

nevermind.

Back to topic.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!!!! THEY MULTIPLY LIKE TRIBBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

MikeJW
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2003, 01:59 PM

Who makes office? Who makes internet explorer?

Oh that is right , Microsoft.

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by MikeJW:
Who makes office? Who makes internet explorer?

Oh that is right , Microsoft.
Who uses Internet Explorer???
- no tabs
- no popup blocking (coming mid-2004)
- relatively slow
- filled with security flaws

On the mac, a combination of Safari (general browsing) and Mozilla Firebird (compatibility) works great.

I'll give you the Office though.
Powerbook 15.2" G4 1.5Ghz
1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm
4GB iPod Mini, Rev 2, Green

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by powerbook867

so yesterday at work, I tried to load XP on my 486...it gets to the splash screen for the install and then it hangs!!!!
I assume you are joking. Of course XP hangs on a 486 just like OSX hangs on a PowerMac 7600, way too old hardware. It can be done both ways with patches, if you're really into it. I have XP Pro running on a 233mhz MMX with 128mb RAM, probably about as far back as you can go without patches. It is just usable for light duty work. I also have OSX 10.1 running on a PowerMac 7600 with a 200mhz 604e with 448mb RAM. But it takes patches to make this happen, you just can�t load it any more than you can XP on any 486 machine. The OSX 7600 setup is also just usable for light duty work.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2003, 03:04 PM

couldn't help myself...I would just as soon dig out my eyes with rusty spoons than try and load xp on a 486...I know older Mac hardware is much more forgiving OS wise...
Joe

King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
"trouble"

Does this mean that people won't respect me for another 2 years until my post count reaches 100? However, I would like to feed the trolls to the orcs, or sharks, or giant squid, or fire ants or any other troll eating creature.

Also, there have been a few people with post counts over 100 that have had trouble; just not as many. I think that they are better at fixing their own problems. Or, macnn forums may have <gasp> gotten a reputation for fixing peoples problems, so they are bringing them to us. Nahh, on second thought we all know how often somebody finds the fix to a problem around here .
-King Rat

Calli46
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 06:37 PM

I have XP Pro running on a 233mhz MMX with 128mb RAM, probably about as far back as you can go without patches. It is just usable for light duty work.
I've been using OS X (10.2.8) on a 266 MHz G3 at work, with 384 MB RAM for Word, Excel and other light work. This is on a 4GB hd. It installed and runs without any patches...

Now I would install Panther on it but fear it won't work (no USB on that old computer). Did some of you try it, maybe with XPostFacto ?
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Calli46

I've been using OS X (10.2.8) on a 266 MHz G3 at work, with 384 MB RAM for Word, Excel and other light work. This is on a 4GB hd. It installed and runs without any patches...

Now I would install Panther on it but fear it won't work (no USB on that old computer). Did some of you try it, maybe with XPostFacto ?
What kind of machine is it?

dankim723  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 09:01 PM

WOW... funny little people with their giant comments... Trolls? Creative.... i give you 2 points with a used green sock... Man.... i sense H8... anyway.. to those who supported me... i read several of the comments and it did help... Yes i was very upset at the time when i wrote the initial post, but if you were in my shoes would you not be as well.. to clarify things...

1. g5 froze more than 10 times on low processor intensive apps such as ie, ms office, acrobat, etc...
2. i got the g5 to freeze up more than 5 times while at the apple store and techs said there was definatly a problem but could not pin point exactly where it was.
3. your a troll...
4. I got the computer returned (had to pay a 10% restocking fee) which will be credited hopefully if i decide to purchase a new computer...
5. oh did i mention.. your a troll and that i have a g4 powerbook as well that i purchased at the same time as the g5 and it's flying smoothly...
6. please don't h8... there is help for people like you... maybe not here in the US.. but definately somewhere if you look hard enough..
7. i forgot to mention that the computer shut down on me while doing nothing.. and it was making funky sounds...
8. and final... i did not follow up on the last week because i was busy getting this computer returned

i smell dick.. did you burp? you bore me...

dankim723  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 09:10 PM

Big Mac - We finally got a really good troll-I've been waiting for one of those. This thread should have been locked long ago. If there really is an owner of a malfunctioning G5 named Daniel, he needs to really get a life. Anyone who would seriously write such a disjointed, ambiguous, whiny post with the hope of receiving useful information in return is immature and/or stupid. It's time to stop feeding the trolls.

Anyone who writes a response to a comment that they feel is immature and/or stupid should really think to themselves if they really don't have anything positive to say... i asked for help not a big mac combo #1... have a great day... and the award for biggest jerk of the day goes to BIG MAC... i guess you don't have a real name either cuz your busy playing with mopheus in the underworld with the dark archon level 10... bhahhaha... try getting off your computer once and a while and enjoy life...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 18, 2003, 09:15 PM

The fact the you're mature enough to hold a job long enough to be able to pay for a G5 and a PowerBook shocks me.

But that is assuming that it is you who purchased them, and not your parents.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

dankim723  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 09:24 PM

yes.. 2 macs... i paid... thank you..

dbenjami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 09:28 PM

First let me say that I am sorry about your experience with your G5.
Second, I was in a position much like the one you are in right now. I purchased a 12" powerbook G4 and nearly a month later the hard drive went bad. So I called AppleCare and they gave me the run around. At that point I took it back to the apple store that I bought it from and I had a long conversation with the tech. He said that if he could not fix it by the following business day that he would give me a new one. Needless to say, he called me later that night and informed me that they will be giving me a new powerbook, and I can stop by anytime to pick it up.

My experience with apple's tech center at my local store was much better than apple care customer support.

Moral of the story is- Go to an apple store, talk to a tech face-to-face, let him know your problem, and he will most likely help you out in one way or another.

dankim723  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by dbenjami:
First let me say that I am sorry about your experience with your G5.
Second, I was in a position much like the one you are in right now. I purchased a 12" powerbook G4 and nearly a month later the hard drive went bad. So I called AppleCare and they gave me the run around. At that point I took it back to the apple store that I bought it from and I had a long conversation with the tech. He said that if he could not fix it by the following business day that he would give me a new one. Needless to say, he called me later that night and informed me that they will be giving me a new powerbook, and I can stop by anytime to pick it up.

My experience with apple's tech center at my local store was much better than apple care customer support.

Moral of the story is- Go to an apple store, talk to a tech face-to-face, let him know your problem, and he will most likely help you out in one way or another.
i agree.. so heres a question... i don't think i want to go back to a G5 but i'm debating wether or not to get the pb g4 or the dual 1.25ghz g4... i still have my 17in apple display... so i was thinking of the g4 dual but not sure...

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 02:49 AM

i agree.. so heres a question... i don't think i want to go back to a G5 but i'm debating wether or not to get the pb g4 or the dual 1.25ghz g4... i still have my 17in apple display... so i was thinking of the g4 dual but not sure...
Didn't you say this was going to be your last Mac? (See the title of this thread.)

It appears that Intel dropped prices on the higher end P4s. Maybe you should slap together a PC. The downside (aside from Windows) is that you'll have to bitch at yourself if something goes wrong.

dankim723  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 07:11 AM

so.. i decided to give it one more shot with apple after all the mess i went through.. i also didn't have really an option because i had to pay a 10% restocking fee that wouldn't be refunded unless i purchased a new computer.

Here is the new issue.. i just got the 15in pb and it has a missing pixel straight in the middle of the screen.. its pretty gross when the scren is dark... I'm really trying to keep the faith in apple but one, the customer service and overall service has been pretty poor and i just don't want to have to go through all the drama again.. the pb is great but the pixel is keeping this new purchase being at 100%.... so close! any advice?

Orion27
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 09:06 AM

Just take some black electricians tape, cut out a really tiny circle, and with a pair of tweezers (be careful not to scratch the screen) gently place it over the offending pixel. Works like a charm..

Forum Links
Forum Rules