Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need help with modem dialing automatically...HELP!

Need help with modem dialing automatically...HELP!
rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2003, 12:41 AM

Hi,
I sold my DP G4500 running Panther to a nice couple (so I could buy my G5) and everything is great, except the modem keeps trying to dial the Internet.

I have had them disable:

Network Time Server
PPP connect as needed
All file sharing (disable everything in sharing)
Automatic software update

Can anyone please give me more suggestions of things to check? Could something in Classic be causing it to dial? I really want them to have a good experience with this computer, and this problem is driving them crazy! Please help!

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 12:49 AM

Well, I guess you already tried the PPP Options in the PPP tab of the Network pref pane... also check iTunes to make sure automatically connecting to the internet is disabled. There may be more apps that have a tendency to connect automatically, so check them out as well.

On my laptop, I keep the network time server enabled, as well as file sharing and network update, and my machine never dials up unless I tell it to.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2003, 01:43 AM

It won't dial up on its own as long as you have the proper option unchecked in the Networking prefpane.

rlmorel  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2003, 07:14 AM

Yes, I know...that is what makes this so damn frustrating...I have unchecked EVERY option I can think of...perhaps it is something in classic, they said it happened last night when they use Word in classic mode...

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

Appleman
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 07:59 AM

Why not simply disconnect your modem? The app which is calling the modem to dial probably will alert you by telling it cannot connect to the internet.

Software Update, Time syncing, MSN Messenger, Entourage, etc. are typical auto dialers, f.i.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 09:40 AM

In the Network Pref Pane, select from the Show pop-up menu, Network Port Configurations, then ensure you have modem unchecked and drag ethernet to the top of the list, then Apply Now.
AFAIK, classic will use OS X networking and not its own regardless of the settings there, but it can't hurt to turn them off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules