Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > G5, Panther and Software Base Station???

G5, Panther and Software Base Station???
rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 10:45 AM

I agree with many who say the networking in Panther is mangled. I am trying to use my G5 as a base station with my 17" Powerbook, but am having no luck. I have connected several times, almost by accident, and it worked great, but most of the time I cannot get the Powerbook to get assigned a 10.xx.xx address, it keeps the 169.xx.xx address (self-assigned).

I am pretty sure I have all the settings correct, and signal strength looks greater than 75% in many cases, but...just cannot get it to work. Any ideas?

Is 802.11g susceptible to wireless phones, and could that be part of the problem if I or my neighbors have them?

Should I just go out and buy a wireless router?
Thanks,
Bob

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 01:52 PM

My G4 works perfectly as a software base station in Panther, and so do other macs I have helped other people set up. Most likely your settings aren't right: some of the instructions I have seen on the web don't work very well.

Barney.

rlmorel  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 05:00 PM

Hmm. How complicated can it be?

I haven't even got to the point of using WEP, I figure I just want to get it working plain vanilla, then I can configure the WEP settings.

What is particularly frustrating is that it has worked on a rare occasion. For example, when I restarted my desktop, that caused the laptop to renew it's address with an appropriately assigned one. Grrrr.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by barney ntd:
My G4 works perfectly as a software base station in Panther, and so do other macs I have helped other people set up. Most likely your settings aren't right: some of the instructions I have seen on the web don't work very well.

Barney.
Should we let the IP assign automaticaly or do it manualy?

Can you post a screenshot of your settings?

I am networking via firewire and I find internet sharing keeps turning off, big hassle.

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 10:25 AM

On the base computer, set the airport IP address & subnet mask manually (10.0.n.1 & 255.255.255.0 for some small n is fairly standard). Let the clients use DHCP, and they will pick up 10.0.n.2 etc.

On the base computer, under network port configurations, drag the external connection to the top of the list. Unfortunately, this means that Rendezvous won't work, but sharing will.

Don't use internet connect to create a computer-computer airport network; if you already have one, delete it at both ends. Then turn on internet sharing.

Finally, let the clients do everything automatically.

Barney.

Forum Links
Forum Rules