Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unable to get IP assigned after sleep-please help

Unable to get IP assigned after sleep-please help
rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 08:58 PM

Hi all,
I hate to ask this, because I kind of get the impression it is an issue that everyone has talked to death, but...I have searched far and wide, and there are very few direct references to it, and no answers. I posted in Networks, but not one answer so I wonder if this is OSX related.

I have a G5 and PB, a Linksys WRT54G wireless router hooked up to DSL running PPOE. The G5 is hardwired to the router, the PB is wireless. I am running OS X 10.3.2 on both machines.

Whenever I sleep, I cannot connect back to the internet. I get the old 169.xxx.xx address, am unable to ping the router and the only thing that fixes it is a reboot, usually, but on occasion, I have to power every single component down, and power them back up in sequence to get things to work.

This is a major problem for me, because I never turn the Mac off. I always sleep it. I finally have wireless, but now I have to shut my macs down all the time.

I have tried zapping pram, I looked for the com.apple.powermanagement.plist file to delete, but it was not even there. Any ideas?

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 08:01 PM

Make sure DHCP is enabled on the router for both interfaces (wired and wireless), and that your Macs are set up to use DHCP too on their respective network interface (ethernet and airport).

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 08:09 PM

I would also try updating the firmware in the router as well. My friends Linksys kept freezing up on him (then causing the exact issue you described), I downloaded the latest firmware and it has been up now for a good 2 months.

If the router isn't freezing you can just enter a 192.xx.xx.xx address manually as well on the Mac's, though DHCP really should be working.

rlmorel  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2004, 12:50 AM

Sadly...the problem appears to be something mangled in Panther, or one of the upgrades through software update. I did an install of 10.2.7 on a spare drive, booted up and it works flawlessly. Upgraded to Panther, and it still works fine. I am now going to use software update and see if it breaks.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules