Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How Do I Disable Cddb!!!!!!!?????

How Do I Disable Cddb!!!!!!!?????
rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 08:26 PM

Okay...this is driving me crazy, and I am having a hard time believing that Apple did not make this an option.

I am using iTunes 6, and there is no option to disable CDDB search! I have asked on Apple's web site, and a moderator TOLD ME TO JUST DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is making me grit my teeth, because the names and titles for Books on CD are ALL SCREWED UP!

Can someone please-PLEASE help me with this? I have asked on multiple forums...am I the only one importing books on CD and running into this problem?

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 08:56 PM

Install Little Snitch v1.2 and take note of what ports/servers iTunes is using to connect to the CDDB database. You can then block those through your Firewall and/or have Little Snitch block the connection for you.

rlmorel  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 09:29 PM

rickey939, thanks for the tip...I will use this for the time being. But this is not right...what happened to Apple on this one? Don't they give the option to turn this off, I cannot imagine I am the only one with this problem!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 09:37 PM

I don't see the problem. If the tags are wrong you just type in the correct ones manually. What's the difference between overwriting wrong tags and overwriting "Track 1", "Track 2"... ?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I don't see the problem. If the tags are wrong you just type in the correct ones manually. What's the difference between overwriting wrong tags and overwriting "Track 1", "Track 2"... ?
Because, in the case of the Greek CDs I own the Autocomplete function messes up...

Besides, blocking the CDDB server using Little Snitch won't work, it just prevents the CD from showing up in iTunes entirely.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 12:17 AM

I could of sworn there used to be a preference for this. I don't know if it's true for iTunes 6, but when you had to set up iTunes in the previous versions it asked you whether you wanted to automatically connect to the internet for content (CDDB). So you could try deleting your iTunes preferences and setting that to no.

vinster
Senior User
Oct 19, 2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man
... blocking the CDDB server using Little Snitch won't work, it just prevents the CD from showing up in iTunes entirely.
Make a note of the ports used to connect to cddb and block them with a firewall. That should fix it.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 04:10 AM

Thinine is right, this *used* to be an option. I've no idea why they removed it.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by vinster
Make a note of the ports used to connect to cddb and block them with a firewall. That should fix it.
Echo, echo, echo.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Echo, echo, echo.

Already tried that.

It connects on port 80, so you're killing the music store too.

I blocked the actual server and port combination, but when I did that new CDs that didn't have info entered never showed up in iTunes.

danman
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 10:47 PM

redirect the cddb url to 127.0.0.1

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2005, 11:51 PM

Why do you say CDDB messes up your cds? What exactly is messed up? I have Greek cd's and cddb usually has 2 options. One that is in greeklish and one that is in greek language. Just choose whichever one you want. And if it finds other cd's from other artists (rare but it can happen) that match yours just hit the cancel key. And right after that make a contribution to CDDB with the correct data so other users won't face what you're facing.
( Last edited by phobos; Oct 19, 2005 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typo)

Buck_W
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 12:47 AM

I too do not like the CDDB feature. Apple definitely should have included a way for it to be turned off. That was a bonehead move.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 20, 2005, 08:19 AM

How does the Autocomplete function "mess up?" If you just keep typing, you should overtype anything Autocomplete comes up with. And how is Autocomplete related to CDDB?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2005, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
How does the Autocomplete function "mess up?" If you just keep typing, you should overtype anything Autocomplete comes up with. And how is Autocomplete related to CDDB?
Look, there are obviously a small subset of people who would rather have the option of turning the CDDB function off. Yes, it may be useful, but when someone inserts a burned CD and it contacts the CDDB and pulls up what it thinks is correct someone can get burned.

I read about a guy who makes commercials and burns them to CD and takes them to clients' places to play them. Well, he inserted the CD and the track comes up titled "BRAD IS A HOMO" because of the auto-CDDB feature. He nearly lost his job because someone at that particular client was named Brad and became very offended.

Besides, I discovered that when inserting a brand new CD I can click the little "X" button in the iTunes display before it's finished loading the info and it won't get applied.

Hobeaux
Oct 20, 2005, 02:05 PM

(this may not be helpful)

Is the CDDB content actually incorrect? If so, you can rename the tracks and then upload the correct info back to CDDB via the "submit CD track names" menu item.

however, if the CDDB is correct but for some reason not useful/accurate for your particular instance, then, well… I recommend not being connected to the Internet when you insert a CD.
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

rlmorel  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hobeaux
(this may not be helpful)

Is the CDDB content actually incorrect? If so, you can rename the tracks and then upload the correct info back to CDDB via the "submit CD track names" menu item.

however, if the CDDB is correct but for some reason not useful/accurate for your particular instance, then, well… I recommend not being connected to the Internet when you insert a CD.
Thanks for the response...when CDDB gives out data, it is often wrong, has data in places I don't want it, make various songs part of a compilation, etc. On occasion, it has garbled the data.

This is only a problem for some reason with Audiobook CD's. It works just fine for music CD's. I get Audiobook CD's from the Library and rip them to listen instead of listening from the CD. I rip 5 to 10 audiobook CD's a month. When is messes up the tracks, I have to retype each one individually.

My first thought was to get off the Internet, but...why should I have to do that?!!!! It takes a while to rip the CD's, and I want to surf while I do it. Sure, I could jump off and on each time I load a CD, but...WHY SHOULD I DO THAT? I love Apple products, but I see no LOGICAL reason why they removed the option to disable it!!! This is an annoying dissapointment!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2005, 12:29 AM

What do you have itunes set to in the advanced, importing tab? If you have it set to play songs on cd insert instead of show songs will that bypass its cddb search and just play the cd allowing you to manually import it?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

vinster
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 01:23 AM

Toast might do what you want. Have you tried that?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2005, 08:39 AM

Toast might do what you want. Have you tried that?
We don't want to use Toast! We want to use iTunes to listen to and import our music CDs. And we don't want the CDDB to be accessed automatically!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2005, 08:39 AM

vinster
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man
We don't want to use Toast! We want to use iTunes to listen to and import our music CDs. And we don't want the CDDB to be accessed automatically!
As suggested earlier then, just disconnect your computer from the Internet before ripping your CDs.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2005, 09:50 AM

As suggested earlier then, just disconnect your computer from the Internet before ripping your CDs.
That's not a viable solution for most people.

But you can hit the cancel button immediately after inserting the CD when it says "Accessing the CDDB database" and cancel it.

Apple should never have assumed everyone would want it on, and they should give us the choice back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules