Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fonts in OSX

Fonts in OSX
aprilcarter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 09:51 AM

I don't know whether this is a system problem or a Suitcase problem, so if I learn that it's actually for Suitcase, I'll go to the Applications section and re-ask...

I have had weird fonts problems since upgrading to OSX, and I've kind of just worked around them, but it's lately been getting annoying...

First, I am unable to keep fonts in the HD : Library : Fonts folder, or weird things happen. That was determined so long ago that I can't remember what the problems are.

Secondly, I know there are at least two fonts in the System : Library : Fonts folder that I suspect are corrupt, but as far as I know, they cannot be deleted. Why, and is there a way around this or to fix them? I cannot even run FontDoctor: it unexpectedly quits on launch.

Thirdly, I have all fonts (beside system fonts) in HD: Users : Me: Library : Fonts folder. When I try to add them to Suitcase, about 80% of them are grayed out. Why?

Fourthly, is there a limit to the number of fonts or files that OSX can handle?

Lastly, if anyone feels like giving a primer on fonts, I'd be all ears. Not understanding fonts is my strongest weakness. There are extensions of .bmap, .dfont, .suit, .TT, .ttf, etc... some file types are PostScript, Font Suitcases, Data Fonts, TrueType fonts. I would like to know:

- what font types are okay to use?
- why do some fonts appear as one file in the fonts folder and contain all typefaces (I assume that's what a suitcase is?), while other fonts in the fonts folder are actually individual typefaces?
- with regard to previous question, is there a way to condense individual typefaces of the same family into one font?
- what is the protocol when you have two fonts of different types (just off the top of my head, if you have "Banco" and "Banco." , is it safe to assume they're the same, and which should you pick if they are different kinds?

These are embarrassing questions for someone who has been doing this for ten years. I'm sorry. And grateful if anyone can help... I think I'd even pay admission if they'd wanna charge

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 01:25 PM

I'll add another question - what happens if you drop a bunch of new fonts into ~/Library/Fonts and suddenly, normal fonts used throughout the system begin showing up funktified (like in Safari and Mail, for example)? Is there any good way of figuring out which font caused the problem besides just moving things in and out of the Fonts folder and hoping it goes away? Any way of using the offending font without this problem? And, why does it happen?

(I assume that the offending font is using the same ID as one of the fonts in the system, but beyond that, I'm clueless.)
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 02:13 PM

Even though it is almost a year old, written before Panther and FontBook, I still found this interesting: Font Fatigue
YMMV
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Macanoid
Senior User
Jun 10, 2004, 04:28 PM

I switched from suitcase to Font Agent Pro (now version 2.1) and even though I have over 14.000 fonts I never had any problems at all. Great program - great interface. It doesn't solve you problem I know, sorry, but it a suggestion to have a look at this wonderful program!

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
I switched from suitcase to Font Agent Pro (now version 2.1) and even though I have over 14.000 fonts I never had any problems at all. Great program - great interface. It doesn't solve you problem I know, sorry, but it a suggestion to have a look at this wonderful program!
One advantage of FAP is its built-in font-checking feature. I'm very close to buying it for this feature, after the font-related troubles I recently had.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 09:07 AM

Since this font issue is being resurrected indirecty in Apllications forum, maybe it's time to resurrect this thread in System forum.

Although I can appreciate what it's said Font Agent Pro does, it's a shame that adequate font management is (apparently) not provided in the OS: seems a shame to have to pay $99 for adequate font functioning on top of $129 for the latest edition of OS X (or on top of their purchase of a $500 Mini).

Basic-level users of Mac OS should be able to recover from font-corruption easily - especially if a download of "America's Army" from the Apple site can cripple Safari, Mail, TextEdit, as suggested in Applications forum thread.

Has anyone heard whether font-handling / diagnosis/repair is supposed to be upgraded significantly in Tiger?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules