Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet?

Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet? (Page 10)
terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 02:29 PM

I wish I was on the first shipment cycle

Macboy, definitly get us some more details about it!! Especially on the all elusive question of battery life.

What configs did he get?

aneurysm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 02:36 PM

so when is the next shipment departure?
[FONT=Arial]in an extreme example of the proletarians shouldering the blunders of they're "bush league" boss'- i'm a fed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][i realize how crude my grammar can be, no need to point it out; thank you.][/FONT]

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by bpd115
Mine also left Alaska on the 18th at about 848PM. Haven't had a status update on shipping yet...
Hey, that's my palette! :-)

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

bpd115
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 02:44 PM

Hopefully "Our" pallets are all set and scheduled for delivery tomorrow

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 02:46 PM

calling Fedex's phone tracker said the laptop is on its way to lafayette. With joy, I called FedEx to see if they could just hold the damn thing there so I could pick it up first thing tomorrow morning. Nope. They have to make a delivery attempt first. bastards.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by tikki
calling Fedex's phone tracker said the laptop is on its way to lafayette. With joy, I called FedEx to see if they could just hold the damn thing there so I could pick it up first thing tomorrow morning. Nope. They have to make a delivery attempt first. bastards.
I've tried that before too... although I figured they would want to save the trip! But must be something with their system.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 02:59 PM

Re: Indy, they have a major hub there. I think when I ordered my Ti it actually went from HK directly to Indy and then out to my house the same day. It was quite impressive. IP Direct Distribution is great.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by terigox
I've tried that before too... although I figured they would want to save the trip! But must be something with their system.
Haha, me too. Back when I got the PowerMac G3 (I seem to recall waiting a long time for that one too). Unfortunately I missed the driver, had to drive to them anyway and then wait like 2 hours for the truck to get back and get it pulled off. Reasons I get everything shipped to work...

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Enigmaaron
Haha, me too. Back when I got the PowerMac G3 (I seem to recall waiting a long time for that one too). Unfortunately I missed the driver, had to drive to them anyway and then wait like 2 hours for the truck to get back and get it pulled off. Reasons I get everything shipped to work...
I still say they need GPS units in the boxes, so you can meet your driver down at 12th and main or at some corner and grab your box

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by terigox
I still say they need GPS units in the boxes, so you can meet your driver down at 12th and main or at some corner and grab your box
That would be sweet. I seriously contemplated driving through the next few neighborhoods down looking for delivery trucks that time.

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 03:53 PM

I ordered on Jan 12. Standard 1.83 (later upped to 2.0 of course). My shipment date was always Feb 15, though when the processor upgrade was announced, my shipping date was bumped to Feb 28. Needless to say, I was bummed. Yet on Saturday the 18th, it shipped ten days "early."

It left Shanghai at 3:44PM on Feb 18. It arrived in Anchorage, AK at 7:10pm on Feb 18. It "left origin" (AK) at 8:30pm on Feb 18. No update since.. and boy do the time zones have me confused. I am GMT-5. I believe China is GMT+5 and Achorage is GMT-8? Who knows. The estimated arrival is Wed Feb 22 (and I had expedited 2 day shipping).

Who knows what all that means... I wish FedEx would update again. I assume that yesterday it did nothing.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 04:00 PM

To clarify folks, the shipping choices are from the time it clears customs. Think of it this way, they could just say it didn't ship until it was through customs. In most cases, people don't experience drop shipments from manufacturers in Asia. Usually, companies get a lot of products and then ship them from their facility.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 04:02 PM

When did you folks see your card charged, on the 18th when it was actually shipped out... or some other time?

bpd115
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 04:12 PM

When ordering a new apple product shipped from China, it doesn't matter what shipping you pick. I took plain old free shipping and my estimated date is still the 22nd, shipped on the 18th.

21tesla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 04:18 PM

I called FedEx this afternoon.

Yesterday evening, my macbook arrived in Toronto with others maybe destined for the Apple Store ? (I'm thinking there's a palette'o'macs somewhere in that building). It takes FedEx some time to distribute that shipment, apparently. So it looks like I'll be waiting until the 22nd to receive it.

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 04:21 PM

Break in and take it

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2006, 05:09 PM

I called Apple to upgrade my shipping for 13 CAD to two day. I'm hoping that it will push my order up in the line.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles
I called Apple to upgrade my shipping for 13 CAD to two day. I'm hoping that it will push my order up in the line.
I'm debating on doing the same... I really wonder how much of a difference it would make.. it seems apple has a history of shipping faster and sooner than expected??

danonamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 05:44 PM

Curious, what's SCHALLIOL ES?

danonamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 06:00 PM

Nevermind - found that it's your name. Nice QTVR of Chicago - my hometown!

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2006, 06:13 PM

Has anyone ordered one lately? If so, what are the shipping dates for orders placed today? I am specifically wondering about the 1.83's....
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

simms
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 06:24 PM

Does anyone want to buy my 1.5 GHZ powerbook G4 80gig 512 mb superdrive 15 inch 2 year remaining apple care? $1200. excellent condition. i want to get a macbook pro. email me with interest [email protected]

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 06:27 PM

To answer the above question.. When you order the product, Apple places a hold on your card. For my debit VISA, the money disappeared from my account for a few days but then returned. This is so Apple can verify that you can afford it. It's pre-authorization to charge the card for that amount. The card was CHARGED the day it shipped - and you should receive an email when your card is charged (though not necessarily when the amount is HELD).

sd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 07:09 PM

Does any Select or Premier ADC Member have their MacBook Pro shipped? I'd be curious to know as I ordered a 1.83 GHz (now 2.0GHz) BTO (7200 rpm + 256VRAM) on Jan 10. My shipping date is set for Feb. 28.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Feb 20, 2006, 07:16 PM

Seems as if the guy in post #211 here is more or less the first one reporting from a received MBP:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=181154&page=9

Gee, that guy's PM inbox must look like hell right now...
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 08:11 PM

I almost ordered memory from Crucial for the MBPro (arriving wed most likely -- maybe tomorrow but I doubt it).. 1GB for $199. I found a 1GB module for $109 but it's listed as "generic brand." Is this okay? Do people have troubles with generic memory? Is branded memory a quick way for them to make higher margins? What are people's experiences? Thanks!

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2006, 08:18 PM

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 09:58 PM

This is my first post. Hope I don't mess up. I saw that there was a guy that just recieved his MacBook Pro and mentioned that he was installing the system software update. I had been told by my Apple Sales person that it would be shipped with the current version.

iJoy Chair & Video iPod 60GB
MacBook Pro 1.83

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 10:28 PM

He figured out that it did indeed ship with 10.4.5 (the latest). He posted regarding his mistake later on in the thread. No worries.

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 10:33 PM

My FedEx tracking shows the following:

Feb 18, 2006 8:48 PM
Departed FedEx location
ANCHORAGE, AK

I haven't seen an update since then... Weird

hmp
Feb 20, 2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by piecewise
I almost ordered memory from Crucial for the MBPro (arriving wed most likely -- maybe tomorrow but I doubt it).. 1GB for $199. I found a 1GB module for $109 but it's listed as "generic brand." Is this okay? Do people have troubles with generic memory? Is branded memory a quick way for them to make higher margins? What are people's experiences? Thanks!
I would be cautious about using generic memory. In the past, I've had problems with putting generic memory in my Powerbook and have ended up having to return the memory. Since this is a totally new machine, it's hard to know how picky it will be with RAM. If you don't mind taking the risk of buying the memory and possibly having to ship it back because it doesn't work with your system, go for it. I would personally try, but I hate going to the post office to return things

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Timetheus
He figured out that it did indeed ship with 10.4.5 (the latest). He posted regarding his mistake later on in the thread. No worries.
Thanks. I just read that myself a moment ago. The only reason I was concerned is that I'm still using my PB G3 (on it's last legs rather last hinge) and am using System 8.6 so my move to the NEW Mac & NEW system is going to be quite an adjustment and I didn't want to get mine out of the box and have to update it too.

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 10:58 PM

Mac OS 8.6? It sounds weird just saying that. I remember MacUser's cover of Copland.. and looking even further ahead to Gershwin. It just shows how f*ed up Apple was... a team of 1,000 people (if memory serves) designing Copland, and another team competing with them to replace it.. and both teams getting time with the press!

Boy.. System 7 was rock solid stable. 7.6.1 was too I think. Why am I talking about this? Hmm.. Maybe my MBPro was delayed originally so they could preload it with System 9, which featured the Internet! Wow, the Internet was cool.....

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 11:35 PM

I'm a Select Developer (iRatchet), and my MacBook 2.0 just left Alaska. Delivery is targeted for Thurs, but hoping for sooner.

Mike

aneurysm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 11:51 PM

so what was the shipped and delivered by date of you people who now have mbp on route allready? before your unit shipped of course.

all my thanks,
aneurysm
[FONT=Arial]in an extreme example of the proletarians shouldering the blunders of they're "bush league" boss'- i'm a fed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][i realize how crude my grammar can be, no need to point it out; thank you.][/FONT]

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 11:57 PM

first ship date feb 15. updated date: feb 28. actual date: Feb 18.. arriving feb 21 or 22. (fedex hasn't updated since it left alaska for some weird reason)

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by piecewise
Mac OS 8.6? It sounds weird just saying that. I remember MacUser's cover of Copland.. and looking even further ahead to Gershwin. It just shows how f*ed up Apple was... a team of 1,000 people (if memory serves) designing Copland, and another team competing with them to replace it.. and both teams getting time with the press!

Boy.. System 7 was rock solid stable. 7.6.1 was too I think. Why am I talking about this? Hmm.. Maybe my MBPro was delayed originally so they could preload it with System 9, which featured the Internet! Wow, the Internet was cool.....
Talk about going down memory lane ... how about my original 1200baud Prodigy modem??

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 12:08 AM

1200 + prodigy = SWEET.

My apple history...
Apple Lisa (still have it, still runs.. but it's turning yellow!)
Mac II
PowerBook 145
PowerBook 180
Performa 638CD
Quadra 950
Performa 6400 (monster)
PowerMac 8100
PowerMac 9500
PowerMac 9600
[PowerTower Pro 225]
iPod (original)
eMac
iPod 4th gen
PowerBook G4
iPod shuffle
iPod nano (well, that was a gift to someone)
iPod Video
iMac G5 (no isight)
MacBook Pro 2GHz

Alaska, where did you send my MacBook Pro!!

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by John123
Has anyone ordered one lately? If so, what are the shipping dates for orders placed today? I am specifically wondering about the 1.83's....
i ordered the 1.83 a few days ago and my expected ship is march 28th most new order seem to be getting late march ship dates.

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
i ordered the 1.83 a few days ago and my expected ship is march 28th most new order seem to be getting late march ship dates.
My Ship Date: Mar 9, 2006 Delivery Date: Mar 16, 2006
It's like I'm 8 years old on Christmas Eve.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by BroadwayTJ
My Ship Date: Mar 9, 2006 Delivery Date: Mar 16, 2006
It's like I'm 8 years old on Christmas Eve.
sweet.. do you remembered when you ordered?

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
sweet.. do you remembered when you ordered?
Order Date: Feb 8, 2006 at 03:20 PM PST

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 01:06 AM

How are you guys getting Delivery dates?
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles
How are you guys getting Delivery dates?
Go to apple.com/orderstatus and type in your order number. The one that starts with a W and also put in your zipcode. That should do it.

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:17 AM

because they have shipped and we have tracking info...

piecewise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:21 AM

i have decided that my mbpro did get out of alaska on sat (sun my time, as they are gmt-9)... but between sunday and the holiday, it hasn't moved from wherever the heck it landed! bummer

SiliconAddict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by tikki
Hey, that's my palette! :-)

Ditto. I hope the Dell agents didn't intercept the shipment or was taken down by a SAM somewhere over Washington state.
[FONT="Arial"]Jonathan
-iPod Photo 60GB
-PowerBook Pro Core Duo 2Ghz/2GB RAM/100GB[/B][/FONT]

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by John123
i ordered on 17 Feb and have an estimated ship date of 20 March with delivery by 23 March (paid for 2-3 day shipping).
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by zanyterp
i ordered on 17 Feb and have an estimated ship date of 20 March with delivery by 23 March (paid for 2-3 day shipping).
Interesting...

I placed my order last night with Amazon, so I will be curious to compare when you get yours and when I get mine. I have my old PowerBook for now, so I'm not in any huge rush, but I've always been curious how Amazon (and similar retailers) compare with Apple when it comes to ship times on new products with high/backlogged demand.

Does anyone have any possibly enlightening info on this?
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

hmp
Feb 21, 2006, 03:11 AM

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=102

more pics, including size comparisons to the powerbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules