Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > multi-user+Internet connection (FreePPP)

multi-user+Internet connection (FreePPP)
mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2000, 12:00 PM

Okay, just got a new G4/400 (yea!!!). I set up multiple users because I want to share the system with my roomate but don't want to give him access to my private stuff. However I do want him to have access to the Internet. I use FreePPP to connect. However, due to the restricted access, Netscape can't get to TCP/IP and Free ppp to connect. what do I do? just install TCP/IP & PPP in his section? But how would that work since he doesn't have a system folder???
iGeek

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2000, 08:16 PM

Trash FreePPP and use Remote Access which works better and understands Mac OS 9, OT 2.6.1 (part of 9.0.4 update).

It's nearly 3 yrs since its been updated, same for GearBox, and has trouble with some ISPs and setups. No updates for v.90 protocol.

On my system the installer doesn't even work properly and allow deselecting options, PPP Menu and FreePPP control strip, and if you use Eudora it can't tell if you are connected or not.

Mac OS 9.1 will have OT 3.0 in couple months and provide a more robust tool to connect and come up to where other operating systems and internet, faster connects, better thruput, compete with other platforms, offer MLPPP for dual modem/ISDN users.

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2000, 08:27 PM

Okay, but will it allow me to have multiple (ISP) account. Thats the main reason why I use FreePPP
iGeek

monospace
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2000, 12:34 PM

Remote Access supports as many ISP configurations as you like.

The only drawback with multiple users is that only the owner can change settings, up to the point of selecting which ISP config to use. Any other user can only dial whatever the owner selected, not change the number.

It would be nice if that were fixed in the next OS update.
http://www.monospace.com/
You are visitor number one.

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2000, 01:03 PM

Oh! Okay, the other person doesn't need to switch accounts, just me (The owner ). So I'm all set. Thanks for the help!
iGeek

Forum Links
Forum Rules