Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Stand!

PowerBook Stand!
Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2002, 04:49 PM

I read a thread a long time ago about someone building a PowerBook stand made of Lego bricks.

E: Yes, that would be right here. Good pictures of the stand in use.

Well, I've been using one similar in design for about a month, and it's great. I made mine a little shorter so it's stronger, and takes up less space. It works just as well, and the bottom of my Pismo is MUCH cooler now.

I made the stand with three flat "points" that stick up to keep my Pismo elevated. I tried just the stand itself, but it slid all over my desk, and scratched the bottom of the computer.

That was unacceptable, so I then took a cleaning cloth used for wiping eyeglasses (the really soft ones), and sliced it into 3 pieces. I wrapped a piece around each point of the stand and secured it with rubber bands. This keeps the bottom of my laptop from being scratched by the hard plastic, and as a bonus, the rubber bands on the wood desk keep the stand from moving.

All in all, it took about 30 minutes or less to make, and works wonderfully. If you've got some Legos lying around, this is a neat way to put them to some use.
( Last edited by Bluebomber21XX; Oct 5, 2002 at 08:19 PM. )
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

skyman
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
I read a thread a long time ago about someone building a PowerBook stand made of Lego bricks. Well, I've been using one similar in design for about a month, and it's great. The bottom of my Pismo is MUCH cooler now.

I made the stand with three flat "points" that stick up to keep my Pismo elevated. I tried just the stand itself, but it slid all over my desk, and scratched the bottom of the computer.

That was unacceptable, so I then took a cleaning cloth used for wiping eyeglasses (the really soft ones), and sliced it into 3 pieces. I wrapped a piece around each point of the stand and secured it with rubber bands. This keeps the bottom of my laptop from being scratched by the hard plastic, and as a bonus, the rubber bands on the wood desk keep the stand from moving.

All in all, it took about 30 minutes or less to make, and works wonderfully. If you've got some Legos lying around, this is a neat way to put them to some use.
This works so much better and looks cool too:

http://www.roadtools.com

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2002, 08:22 PM

Well, I was looking at a more inexpensive alternative

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2002, 10:57 AM

no offense, really... but is this to be taken seriously??
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2002, 11:20 AM

i put a deck of cards under the front of my powerbook sometimes (i don't actually play cards)

i have a laptop because i DON'T want to carry a lot around.

just curious, do people actually carry these things with them?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2002, 01:31 PM

Not me... I do have a Coolpad but when I go to school library, I just pick one book to place under my TI.

But that lego thing... was a joke... right?

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2002, 03:05 PM

Um, why in the world would it be a joke?

I don't want to pay 30 dollars for something I can build that serves the exact same purpose. And yes, I do carry this with me when I take my PB out. It's small and fits in my computer bag.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2002, 03:25 PM

i have also found that 2 unpackaged twinkies, one under either end, support the powerbook really well...plus you can eat them when you're done working!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

skyman
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
i have also found that 2 unpackaged twinkies, one under either end, support the powerbook really well...plus you can eat them when you're done working!
You are killing me...now that was funny!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2002, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
Um, why in the world would it be a joke?...I do carry this with me when I take my PB out. It's small and fits in my computer bag.
You are perpetuating the image of the 'Apple Nerd' by allowing people to see you in public with that thing. You have tape around the nosepiece of your glasses, too, don't you? That invention is hilarious!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2002, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:

You are perpetuating the image of the 'Apple Nerd' by allowing people to see you in public with that thing. You have tape around the nosepiece of your glasses, too, don't you? That invention is hilarious!
I'm proud to be an "Apple Nerd". I don't have tape on my glasses, and I don't wear them all the time, either. And yes, you may find it funny, but I find it practical and useful. To each his own, though I still don't know why more people wouldn't find this to be a good idea.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 7, 2002, 02:45 PM

This has to be one of the strangest threads I've read around here.

I used to love legos, when i was a snotty little kid, but I find that I'm too old to play with them nowadays. The coolpad serves my powerboook the best. Plus it rotates, which i doubt the lego stand can do.

I'm happy that the invention works for you, but do you ration the toiletpaper in your house also ?

I can just imagine myself, showing up to a professional meeting, with my powerbook, and a stack full of legos, lol.

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2002, 04:13 PM

Well, I do have Legos that move, so I suppose I *could* make it rotate...

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2002, 09:26 PM

If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2002, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
Thanks. This worked out perfectly. Not only did my fan run less, the twinkies were warmed just right. Best twinkies I've had in years.

There was a minor problem, however. The ends of the twinkies were slightly crushed after a few hours. Luckily, I fixed this the next night using a combination of the twinkies method AND the legos method.

Excellent ideas, guys. That's what I call innovation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules