Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15.4" PowerPC 970 in production

15.4" PowerPC 970 in production
mixtup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2003, 03:14 AM

MacWispers.com has reported production of 15.4" 970 Powerbooks, citing their sources in Taiwan. The story can be found here: http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000071.php

There is also a slashdot post that can be found here: http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/03/06/12/1921217.shtml

Only after the WWDC, will we know for sure. But this is interesting, nonetheless. There has been discussion on whether it is wise for Apple to have the 15.4 have the best processor, leaving the 17" behind.

My 2cents: I think that processor performance should not be dictated by size (12<15<17) although I now that there are limitations to what you can fit in a 12".

I did a little search: I apologize if this has already been posted.

enjoy
"That was very true, he thought. There was a direct, intimate connection between chastity and political orthodoxy." -Orwell

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 03:22 AM

rumors.....

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2003, 04:42 AM

Macwhispers ...

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2003, 04:58 AM

wishful thinking...

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 05:13 AM

not another macwhispers thread. I feel dirty...

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2003, 06:54 AM

If they are wrong after what they said and how they said it, I hope they are cursed for eternity.

MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2003, 08:41 AM

There should be a Mac site called "MacWishfulThinking.com"

Maybe Jobs would read it?

Naw, probably not.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2003, 09:00 AM

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2003, 10:22 AM

Here's to hoping they're right...
...and here's to betting they're not.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mixtup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2003, 11:28 PM

I posted because I'd seen an article (not in MacWhispers.com) on the 3rd gen iPods before they were released and they were pretty accurate with their predictions.

Are there rumor sites that are more reputable than others or are all just wishful thinkers?

Sorry for the annoying newbie post
"That was very true, he thought. There was a direct, intimate connection between chastity and political orthodoxy." -Orwell

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by mixtup:
I posted because I'd seen an article (not in MacWhispers.com) on the 3rd gen iPods before they were released and they were pretty accurate with their predictions.

Are there rumor sites that are more reputable than others or are all just wishful thinkers?

Don't worry about it. I don't go to rumor sites so I get all my rumor news here. It really is no big deal, some people take some things a little to personally. You'll run into it from time to time around here, just blow it off. Even I am guilty of it.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by mixtup:

Don't worry about it, it is hit and miss with rumor stuff.

It is very, very rare that any of the sites get it spot on, especially when we have a new chip being introduced! Most usually they all have a different piece of the same puzzle... Either way they can not be relied upon at all.

To make matters worse, even when they do get the correct info they can still get it wrong! They have in the past had genuine pre-production photos of Cubes, Quicksilvers, MDD machines and they were all pronounced fake before their release!

Other sites are just plain misleading in their attempt to get more traffic... Spymac*cough iWalk*...

For rumor based 'chat' I go to the forums on Appleinsider. Not for accuracy or insiders, it just can be a good laugh... Moki knows his stuff (and more) and and lots of other people do have a lot of knowledge about things. People can be disagreeable and fanatical that things get posted in the right place over there, but it is kinda cool when you get used to it...

I think the best thing to do is trust no-one and be sceptical of everything until Steve announces it!!

Peace,

Marc

Karim
Senior User
Jun 15, 2003, 06:45 AM

I heard from a friend of mine that works at Apple that they are coming out with faster Powerbooks and Desktops and when they are ready they will be announced then not too long after they will come out with even faster ones. AND SO ON AND SO ON.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2003, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by Karim:
I heard from a friend of mine that works at Apple that they are coming out with faster Powerbooks and Desktops and when they are ready they will be announced then not too long after they will come out with even faster ones. AND SO ON AND SO ON.
lmfao... yep, well said karim...

hopefully others will take the hint and stop all this pointless speculation...

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Karim:
Hey, that's great news, I hope it's true.

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2003, 09:55 AM

MacWhispers is pretty adamant about standing behind their story on the 970 PowerBooks. They've more or less bet the farm on this one.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by tgrundke:
MacWhispers is pretty adamant about standing behind their story on the 970 PowerBooks. They've more or less bet the farm on this one.
Good. To further extend the metaphor... I hope they go bankrupt then. One less rumor site would be good.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 02:11 PM

Even MOSR has gotten a rumor or two right. Personally, I think we get the new MPC 7547 G4 from Motorola. I just hope we get Centrino-like battery life.

As far as the 970 is concerned, don't we need a low voltage mobile version to go into PowerBooks? I was under the impression that the 970 sucked power like a Pentium.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2003, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Even MOSR has gotten a rumor or two right. Personally, I think we get the new MPC 7547 G4 from Motorola. I just hope we get Centrino-like battery life.

As far as the 970 is concerned, don't we need a low voltage mobile version to go into PowerBooks? I was under the impression that the 970 sucked power like a Pentium.
No, it doesn't suck power like a P4, but it does use more power than a G4.

The 970 would be OK at 1.2 GHz, but above that power concerns would really become significant I think.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 05:33 PM

originally posted by iWrite:

There should be a Mac site called "MacWishfulThinking.com"
"A Rose is a Rose is a Rose..."
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 06:07 PM

For the record party poopers, pointless speculation is fun which is why it's so popular. The geeks love the gadgets and Apple has built up a particularly strong demand for new desktops.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2003, 09:51 PM

I hope they release them (970) in the Powermacs first as thats what im in the market for, as for the powerbooks Im sure they'll get them.

Ive got a TiSD, bought it in december and im still very much in love with her (my powerbook). Id love to upgrade the ram to 2gigs if thats possible in the future, and also upgrade the hard drive to one of those travestar 7K60 drives.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

paterss
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2003, 03:51 PM

so I now pray in the direction of Cupertino that the rumor is true...
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2003, 09:46 PM

Rumours are fun. We shouldn't take it so seriously. And oh how do I love idle speculation!!!!!

- P

24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2003, 10:02 AM

MacWhispers is pushing this 970-in-a-PowerBook-first crap so hard it makes me wonder...

Rumors are one thing, re-chanting them every other day and saying it's certain is another.

If they're wrong and they don't close down the site within two minutes after Steve's speach is over they're morons.
•

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 05:35 PM

Unless the OS is built to take advantage of the 64 bit computing, it may not be a big speed boost everyone is expecting.

solagratia1600
Jun 17, 2003, 08:55 PM

Isn't this the same thing with other Mac softwares like Adobe products and 3d stuff like Maya? Unless they are optimised/modified to work on the new 64bit, they would just run at the current best speed?

Originally posted by SEkker:
Unless the OS is built to take advantage of the 64 bit computing, it may not be a big speed boost everyone is expecting.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by silverghost:
I hope they release them (970) in the Powermacs first as thats what im in the market for, as for the powerbooks Im sure they'll get them.

Ive got a TiSD, bought it in december and im still very much in love with her (my powerbook). Id love to upgrade the ram to 2gigs if thats possible in the future, and also upgrade the hard drive to one of those travestar 7K60 drives.
Sheisser, that's a nice drive (The Travelstar 7K60).

About the rumor: I hope it's true. I believe for one bit it's a possibility, though. I've never really been into reading rumor sites, I just read the forums and watch the keynotes. Steve's the only source I trust on this front, kids.

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by solagratia1600:
Isn't this the same thing with other Mac softwares like Adobe products and 3d stuff like Maya? Unless they are optimised/modified to work on the new 64bit, they would just run at the current best speed?
There are other threads on this, but as I understand it, everything will see a benefit, 64-bit or not. Most consumer apps will stay 32-bit because they just don't need the added bandwidth. But every app will see the benefit of the much-faster bus, true DDR-RAM and other system enhancements. That's why the general consensus seems to be that a 970 will stomp a G4 at the same clock speed.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by tgrundke:
Just like Thinksecret saying that there wouldn't be any new hardward at MWSF03.

But we'll see, these next couple of days should be interesting.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 04:35 PM

An thread about an unsubstantiated rumour is a sticky???

No skin off my back, but it seems rather odd.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2003, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
An thread about an unsubstantiated rumour is a sticky???

No skin off my back, but it seems rather odd.
Indeed.

I had almost expected to find a sardonic last post from Demonhood extolling this thread as a paragon of pointless speculation...

...not that I, personally, mind a bit of pointless speculation, you understand

Cipher13
Jun 20, 2003, 05:54 AM

Its stickyness keeps all the speculation in one thread...

mcs37
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Here's to hoping they're right...
...and here's to betting they're not.
Ha! Who knows AssassyN. I am very pleased to read the "leak" on the Apple store from last night though. I highly doubt that was a mistake; sounds more like a reason to really excite people for the WWDC!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Its stickyness keeps all the speculation in one thread...
Good idea, but too bad it's not working...

prodigy1387
Jun 20, 2003, 12:03 PM

I know Eug, I'm almost sick of seeing all these posts about the upcoming Powerbooks and what they'll be like and blah blah - its just 3 days away, instead of speculating, just wait and see.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 04:46 PM

Sorry people, I have to say: A sticky?! WTF?!

I make a prediction thaat there wil be new 15": this year.

And then the year after.

And the year after...

I mean, a sticky for this?!

The machines will come when they are ready, no amount of rumor mongering will speed it up.

And also from Macwhispers! I mean...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 04:48 PM

Actually on a more serious note, a member of staff from the Applestore told me there will be new 15" on Monday when I called up to enquire about buying one...

No word on a 970 though. I think a bumped G4 only...
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Jun 21, 2003 at 08:21 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Actually on a more serious note, a member of staff from the Applestore told me there will be new 15" on Monday when I called up to enquire aboiu tbuying one...

No word on a 970 though. I think a bumped G4 only...
Actually, I think that's also the most reasonable guess.

Apple will be already pushing it with the dual 2GHy 970. People now expecting even more of the "impossible" are getting really much too bold...
•

mcs37
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2003, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Apple will be already pushing it with the dual 2GHy 970. People now expecting even more of the "impossible" are getting really much too bold...
The only problem is I know that I would never buy a PowerBook G4 while the Power Mac 970's are on store shelves. I would wait and wait until the 970 arrived in a PowerBook model before purchasing it, unless I _really_ needed it. Otherwise, what's the harm in waiting 6 months for the 970 model?

I think if Apple doesn't release the 970 ASAP in PowerBooks also, they can watch their laptop sales go to hell as people await 970 updates.

But that's just me. Perhaps the normal user doesn't really give a damn about the 64-bit chip and just wants a laptop!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by mcs37:
The only problem is I know that I would never buy a PowerBook G4 while the Power Mac 970's are on store shelves. I would wait and wait until the 970 arrived in a PowerBook model before purchasing it, unless I _really_ needed it. Otherwise, what's the harm in waiting 6 months for the 970 model?

I think if Apple doesn't release the 970 ASAP in PowerBooks also, they can watch their laptop sales go to hell as people await 970 updates.

But that's just me. Perhaps the normal user doesn't really give a damn about the 64-bit chip and just wants a laptop!
The benefits of 64 bitness are really not that compelling in a laptop... (More than 4 gig of ram? umm you only get 2 slots anyway...)

If they rolled out a decent low power Moto G4 with a quick FSB, and clock rates at around 1.4ghz, and all the Alu upgrades, the sales would be fine for a good months until MWSF...

Or how does a Gobi, named a G4+ strike people? 2 ghz with a great FSB... I know I'd jump for one...

The G4 is not a bad chip, it is just that it has been strangled by the bus, and Motos rubbish fabs... If done right, it makes an ideal laptop chip...

mcs37
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2003, 06:27 PM

The benefits of 64 bitness are really not that compelling in a laptop... (More than 4 gig of ram? umm you only get 2 slots anyway...)
Oh but they are! The problem is that most people don't generally see a laptop as a workhorse machine. But I want my laptop to be one. :-) And I know what benefits 64-bit computing can bring to my machine, and certainly not just RAM. Number-crunching software optimized for 64-bits will be a total pleasure. SETI@Home will churn out data packets faster when optimized, gaming could theoretically be improved by taking advantage of the 64-bit CPU, database performance can increase, and digital editing (video, audio or imagery) will get incredible performance increase.

In short, I want my 64-bit PowerPC 970.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 05:11 AM

I hate to tell you this but Seti is not optimized for anything. Infact they don't want it to be faster, it's to fast as is... look at some old discussions about Seti optomization, AMD and Intel.

It's a long and old topic.. but the fact is they can't afford it to be any faster.

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

TC
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 11:19 AM

Steve has already called this the year of the laptop. I think they will have pulled out all the stops to get the new processor in a laptop.

My only problem is seeing some Powerbooks running G4s and others running 970s, just doesn't seem right.

Maybe they'll have 15" available immediately with 12" and 17" to come soon?

I don't know, I have a 667MHz G4 Ti and it would take a 970 laptop to get me to upgrade. Even if the desktops come out immediately I just can't go back to being tied to a desktop machine.
Nothing to see, move along.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2003, 03:54 PM

Man I am surprised. Macwhispers was just spot on...

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 04:42 PM

Man I am surprised. Macwhispers was just spot on...
Dude, they said the Powerbooks are in production / ready to go... their prediction that it will be released at WWDC might have been wrong, but they might still be right about a PPC970 in a Powerbook...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2003, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by docholiday:
Dude, they said the Powerbooks are in production / ready to go... their prediction that it will be released at WWDC might have been wrong, but they might still be right about a PPC970 in a Powerbook...
LOL! Is your post for real?

All they wanted was hits, which they got... they are the lowest of the low of all rumor sites, and have been for years...

They are of course right. A 970 will go into a Powerbook one day...

However, if they were in production, Apple would ship them... I recon we won't see 970 PBs until at least Christmas/MWSF or later...

Heck, the 970 Powermacs are probably not even in production yet, as they are not shipping untill August at the earliest!

Oh did you notice that these also have 9 fan's and a case with so much cooling it is stupid... Good luck putting one in a PB...

They will happen when they are ready... but not anytime soon.

Peace,

Marc

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 05:54 PM

They are of course right. A 970 will go into a Powerbook one day...
They never said they had evidence that WWDC will debut them and the guys made it pretty clear on several occasions.. They said they KNOW that the 970 PBs have been produced, but they SPECULATED that they are gonna be released in WWDC.
Heck, the 970 Powermacs are probably not even in production yet
They are, but not enough right now to satisfy demand.
Oh did you notice that these also have 9 fan's and a case with so much cooling it is stupid...
True, and this might makes sense for the argument that there won't be a 970 PB anytime soon. However, Apple can use a 1.2Ghz version with relatively low energy consumption / heat production.
They will happen when they are ready... but not anytime soon.
I hope you are wrong. As I myself don't have any factual evidence, I can't say that I know for sure that you are.

PS. Macwhispers hasn't been around for years and one of their major mispredictions (the iPod HD sizes) wasn't their fault: The HDs in the iPods right before productions were gonna be 10,20,40 but Toshiba had some problems and those drives were called back in the last second.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2003, 08:25 PM

Whatever .

I have better things to do than argue about the validity of rumor sites, who have produced no evidence of knowing anything...

Peace

Marc

danielsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 09:09 PM

I was talking about the cooling issue with a friend of mine today. I think the conclusion was that the PowerBook 970 will have a refrigerating unit strapped to the bottom of it :-)

Hell, I'd buy it: speed and a cool lap in the summer months!

Forum Links
Forum Rules