Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > getting new powerbook g4 ti 1ghz....

getting new powerbook g4 ti 1ghz....
prodigy1387
Jun 16, 2003, 11:39 AM

i ordered ti powerbook g4 1ghz model last week and it should be arriving tomorrow, so i am excited. i am a bit concerned though that a new al book might be coming out at the end of this month. was it bad to have ordered now? its too late to cancel and if i return, its a 10% fee.... i dont think it'll be bad though because the new al book will have a few features i think i can live without like a new case, built-in bluetooth, and airport extreme, maybe firewire 800. i dont think they'll include the new "g5" processor in this model because it isnt the 17", but ya never know. plus the g4 1ghz processor performs quite fine ive heard. and i dont even think i like the new cases much more than the ti case, i think titanium for laptop casing is unique. or maybe im just trying to convince myself i made the right choice haha. oh well, ill enjoy it, can't wait to receive it: powerbook g4 titanium 15"/1ghz/512mb/superdrive/airport/60gb

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2003, 11:44 AM

You'd have to be living under a rock to not know that new 15's might be announced in a week.

How long it'll be before they SHIP is a different story.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 11:52 AM

The SuperDrive Ti is an awesome machine, congratulations! And they are a sweet deal at the current prices. If the next revision does not have a new processor, I'm thinking about picking one up myself.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2003, 11:57 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!

I'll bet there are a lot of envious ---> <--- folks out there reading this.

I have two of them. One wasn't so great and it's sitting on a shelf at the office. The one I have now is awesome. The one on the shelf has had the case replaced twice for peeling paint. The current one has no problem with that at all.

You'll really enjoy it -- it's F - A - S - T !

prodigy1387  (op)
Jun 16, 2003, 12:16 PM

thanks iwrite, good to know - im excited, i cant wait to get it and start playing with it haha. and no i have not been living under a rock, i have heard about the new 15.4" al powerbooks, but i didnt know at the time i placed my order because i havent been to forums in about 6 months and i figured id go back right when i decided to get rid of my old 500Mhz ibook dvd. thats when i realized the new al books were coming out and by then i had already placed my order.

but in any event im pretty sure ill be more than happy with my superdrive 15" ti

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by prodigy1387:
thanks iwrite, good to know - im excited, i cant wait to get it and start playing with it haha. and no i have not been living under a rock, i have heard about the new 15.4" al powerbooks, but i didnt know at the time i placed my order because i havent been to forums in about 6 months and i figured id go back right when i decided to get rid of my old 500Mhz ibook dvd. thats when i realized the new al books were coming out and by then i had already placed my order.

but in any event im pretty sure ill be more than happy with my superdrive 15" ti
I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it too! I had a similar dilemna (but I knew about the pending 15.4"... I just needed a new machine within a week) and opted for the 1Ghz Ti SuperDrive. It's an absolutely outstanding machine.... and I can't speak enough volumes about it's SPEED. Warcraft III @ 1280x854x32 w/ all the details on high at FLUID speeds even in heavy battle is quite a sight.

Congrats on the new machine, and welcome back after the long hiatus!
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2003, 12:45 PM

I love my TiBook, but personally I would have waited. What's an extra few weeks?

ingeniero
Jun 16, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
I love my TiBook, but personally I would have waited. What's an extra few weeks?
Keep in mind that the new AL15 coming after the WWDC is just a rumor. It may or may not come. That's what I'm waiting for. I've been procrastinating with a Pismo 500mhz, which is a great machine and I intend to keep even after securing a new AL15. My dilema is whether I'd continue procrastinating and wait to get a 2nd generation AL15 with the 970 chip.

paterss
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2003, 03:40 PM

I hope the 15.4" has a 970 chip, then it will have been worth waiting since January.

I think the 17" is just too big (but tempting)

64bit computing is just around the corner.
We can only hope that year of the laptop means just that.
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by ingeniero:
Keep in mind that the new AL15 coming after the WWDC is just a rumor. It may or may not come. That's what I'm waiting for. I've been procrastinating with a Pismo 500mhz, which is a great machine and I intend to keep even after securing a new AL15. My dilema is whether I'd continue procrastinating and wait to get a 2nd generation AL15 with the 970 chip.
I'm thinking more like July. They're due for an upgrade (with a G4).

mixtup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by starman:

How long it'll be before they SHIP is a different story.

Mike
That is something to think about. If you need your computer now you made the right choice. You have to jump on at some point (I say this even after prices dove two weeks after getting mine). The prices are excellent so it's a good time to buy.

The TiBook is awesome. I just got one and trust me you will not be dissapointed.
"That was very true, he thought. There was a direct, intimate connection between chastity and political orthodoxy." -Orwell

prodigy1387  (op)
Jun 17, 2003, 01:58 PM

Very good point mixtup. My ti 15" just came in today to my office, so I'm leaving a little early to set it up and use it and all that. Now that you've said that, I am glad I did not wait because I couldn't wait weeks after July just for it to be shipped to me, 2 months without a computer would be murder (I sold my iBook 500 on eBay a few days ago before I bought the TiBook, so I would need a comptuer). So that in addition to other reasons (including any standard new product problems), I am glad I got this TiBook 15" now.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2003, 02:19 PM

Very good point mixtup. My ti 15" just came in today to my office, so I'm leaving a little early to set it up and use it and all that. Now that you've said that, I am glad I did not wait because I couldn't wait weeks after July just for it to be shipped to me, 2 months without a computer would be murder (I sold my iBook 500 on eBay a few days ago before I bought the TiBook, so I would need a comptuer). So that in addition to other reasons (including any standard new product problems), I am glad I got this TiBook 15" now.
It's a good machine, and you got a good deal at today's prices too.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2003, 03:55 PM

It's a good machine, and you got a good deal at today's prices too.
I think "good" might even be a bit of an understatement. Even at full retail, the Ti 1Ghz SD ($2599) is an absolute STEAL. It's actually several hundred dollars cheaper than almost any windows laptop w/ comparable features.

Add to that the fact that you can get a few more hundred off that buying second hand/refurb/ADC routes and it's really quite an interesting situation.

I think I actually talked a friend of mine into getting a PB... He liked mine a bunch and then said "Macs are too expensive"... So we hit dell/toshiba/ibm/sony online stores and did some pricing. He was absolutely amazed, and honestly so was I. I haven't looked at PC hardware in so long I didn't realize (in the laptop arena at least) that Apple had become so price competitive.
Alex

-----

prodigy1387  (op)
Jun 18, 2003, 12:10 PM

I definitely noticed that Apple has been extremely more price competitive recently too. I have a friend who unfortunately bought a Dell Latitude 15" laptop and I'd have to say she envies me now for my ti when she paid about $500 more (I paid $2374 w/ education pricing) for a weaker system. Features I have that she doesn't:
Superdrive
Airport Wireless
Firewire
1Ghz G4 seems faster than her P4
Comes w/ software like iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, etc.
Probably more hardware differences I've failed to mention

Not to mention my ti is 1" thin compared to her like 7 lb 2" thick monstrosity, slot-loading drive is pretty cool, more attractive design w/ titanium versus regular black plastic, hers is louder, and my screen is much clearer than hers.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2003, 12:17 PM

Macs are only price competitive with their laptops (and VERY price competitive actually). With desktops it's a whole different ballgame, however.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jun 18, 2003, 12:30 PM

..yeah , funny that..

todrain
Senior User
Jun 18, 2003, 10:01 PM

I was waiting for the AL 15" back in Jan and Feb, but decided to make the TI 1 ghz plunge in March, I'm very glad that I did!

Great machine, very speedy compared to my old 500mhz iBook, and if I had waited, I would have missed 3 months of work on my TI... not worth it!

At $2599, the TI SuperDrive is an amazing deal... I think the new units (probably still G4s) will be more money, and not that much faster.

In a year, the 970s will be on rev 2, and that's about the time to move up.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 11:14 AM

Not to mention my ti is 1" thin compared to her like 7 lb 2" thick monstrosity, slot-loading drive is pretty cool, more attractive design w/ titanium versus regular black plastic, hers is louder, and my screen is much clearer than hers.
The screen is a good point. My dad's Inspiron 8500 seems incredibly dull and washed out after I've been staring at my Ti for a while.

The funny part is his screen is technically a higher res (1600x1200 I think..., might even be like 1920xsomething... it's rediculously high for a 15" anyways)... but the actual clarity, color saturation, and viewing angle are woefully inadequate compared to the Ti.
Alex

-----

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 11:17 AM

Macs are only price competitive with their laptops (and VERY price competitive actually). With desktops it's a whole different ballgame, however.
You'll get no argument here. No one can deny the huge discrepency between a dual 1.42Ghz tower and a PC 3.06Ghz P4c... I despise PC's (I work with them all day, coming home to my Ti is like waking up from a bad dream), but definitely can't deny the HUGE price/performance difference in the desktop arena.

Hopefully the 970 will change alot of that. I'd like to see what the PC zealot arguments for speed switch to once Macs become the first consumer machines w/ 64 bit processors (and damn good ones at that), and suddenly all their PC's seem a bit.... "inadequate" and "old" by comparison.
Alex

-----

Forum Links
Forum Rules