Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Package Maker for Office templates

Package Maker for Office templates
C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 04:01 PM

I'm trying to use Package Maker as a tool to distribuite templates to Office users. It looked plain and simple....

Here's what I did:
Opened Package Maker
Pointed the Files to
/Applications/Microsoft Office X/Templates/THG 2001 Templates
Resources was empty
Info pointed to
/Applications/Microsoft Office X/Templates/THG 2001 Templates
with Root Volume Only and Overwrite Permissions checked

Made my package. Tried it on another machine. Got a new folder with a series of templates exactly where I expect them. Almost cool.....

Except for 2 problems:
1) The Project Gallery won't show me the contents of this folder. It isn't there, even if I rename the original folder and extract this .pkg on the source machine.

2) The .xlt files loose their icons. They become generic document icons.

I've done md5 checksums on the originals vs the documents that go through Package Maker, they're identical. I can make a new folder in the path, copy templates to it, and Office is happy to see them.

Package Maker must be doing something to my files.... does anyone have an idea what?

Even better yet... is there an easier way to one way synch a folder between users and a central source? Some are desktops, some are portables that are in and out.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 05:11 PM

Package Maker is probably not preserving the resource forks of those files. There may be an option to preserve resource forks in Package Maker.
Vandelay Industries

C.J. Moof  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 06:04 PM

I sure don't see that option.

My version is 1.1. I logged into developer.apple.com and poked around for a newer version, but didn't find one.

Can anyone confirm if I'm on the latest?

I found talk about splitting and rejoining files with resource forks here - http://developer.apple.com/documenta..._features.html , but it only seems to acknowledge it can be done... I seem to need the "like this, dummy" part.

Should I expect an Excel file to have a resource fork? That seems to be contrary to keeping it compatible with PC's.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Forum Links
Forum Rules