Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo DVD Drive replacement?

Pismo DVD Drive replacement?
Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2003, 05:54 PM

Well, I bring home my Pismo after leaving it at my dad's house for 2 weeks in the care of my 13 year old stepbrother and 17 year old sister, and I find out my back port cover door is busted and the DVD drive no longer works. Yay.

It opens and closes, but the drive refuses to spin the CD enough to read it. This is very frustrating, and I am going to have to spend a lot of money to get this damn thing fixed.

My question is this: where should I get a replacement CD/DVD drive from? Who has the best prices? Better yet, does anyone have a spare lying around that they could sell to me?

Any help would be appreciated!
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2003, 06:32 PM

Try

www.wegenermedia.com

for direct replacement. Also, consider a CDR-DVD module replacement swapout for not much more ($100 range). Details at

www.xlr8yourmac.com

drive data base.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 08:56 PM

www.powerbook1.com has some too.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

rjt1000
Senior User
Sep 1, 2003, 09:00 PM

hi bluebomber,

well you can probably blame your siblings for busting the port cover door, but doubtful that they are responsible for the defunct DVD drive.

the DVD drives on the pismo are known to be problematic, esp the LG version (DRN 8080). some of the pismos were supplied with Matsushita versions (SR 8174) and these can go bad too, but those are the better ones. (if you replace make sure you get the Matsushita this time)

apple has been completely unhelpful in this issue, despite literally hundreds of posts about this problem. (do a google search on Pismo DVD problem)

when my LG drive died, i decided to replace it with a combo drive that can be installed in the sled from the pismo. its been great, and can be found for about the same price (maybe even cheaper) then replacing with an OEM drive.

heres one of the links on how to do it:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/oem...mbo_drive.html

there is also a compatability database of drives that people have used with the pismo--search at http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

i was so pissed when my OEM drive died, but I am now happy it did--cause now i have an internal combo drive and have increased my pismos value.

best wishes,

rich (pismo g3 500 combo)

Forum Links
Forum Rules