Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 7200rpm HARD DRIVE UPGRADE

7200rpm HARD DRIVE UPGRADE
Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 01:08 AM

Hello all.....

My stock 4200rpm hard drive in my Powerbook started making funny noises and I did not want to send it in only to get it back several weeks later, so I ordered the 7200rpm drive from Hitachi and just installed it and WOW!

This is an upgrade that I would recommend for everyone.

This drive is quiet, uses only a little more battery juice, and is MUCH faster.

Clicking on folders in the Finder, for example, which previously would take 3 seconds to open, now takes 1 second. Boot up time is noticeably quicker.

So my point is, if you are thinking about getting a new laptop, you might want to think about upgrading the hard disk instead.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
Hello all.....

My stock 4200rpm hard drive in my Powerbook started making funny noises and I did not want to send it in only to get it back several weeks later, so I ordered the 7200rpm drive from Hitachi and just installed it and WOW!

This is an upgrade that I would recommend for everyone.

This drive is quiet, uses only a little more battery juice, and is MUCH faster.

Clicking on folders in the Finder, for example, which previously would take 3 seconds to open, now takes 1 second. Boot up time is noticeably quicker.

So my point is, if you are thinking about getting a new laptop, you might want to think about upgrading the hard disk instead.
Cool. What laptop do you have? Also as many long time Mac users know or should know the easiest and least expensive ways to give improvements to there laptops is RAM,RAM and more RAM, then a Hard Drive upgrade.

Thanks for the info though. I will probably be looking for a Drive upgrade soon.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

sghms
Mar 4, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
Cool. What laptop do you have?
Well after looking into my crystal ball, ouija board and any other paraphernalia I could lay my hands on...I think Macpilot has a 17" PB

It's in his sig
2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by sghms:
Well after looking into my crystal ball, ouija board and any other paraphernalia I could lay my hands on...I think Macpilot has a 17" PB

It's in his sig
DOH!! I didn't read it in his Sig. DUH. LOL
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 11:43 AM

MacPilot, sounds like a cool idea to get the 7200 RPM HD. How did you install it? Did you get it installed professionally or did it yourself? I'm kinda skeptical about having my Powerbook opened up to have major upgrades. Sometimes the computer just doesn't have the factory built look after having been taken apart but getting a faster HD does sound tempting.
Also how much was the HD and where did you buy it?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
MacPilot, sounds like a cool idea to get the 7200 RPM HD. How did you install it? Did you get it installed professionally or did it yourself? I'm kinda skeptical about having my Powerbook opened up to have major upgrades. Sometimes the computer just doesn't have the factory built look after having been taken apart but getting a faster HD does sound tempting.
Well, I decided to install it myself as I have had a little experience with my old MDD replacing fans, painting an iBook, installing a lot of RAM, Airport cards, etc.

I also checked the web for take-apart photos that some Japanese dudes have taken the time to post. Those were very helpful to just get an idea of what the inside of this machine looks like.

My only scare was when removing the top panel of the case (the part that the keyboard is on). The keyboard attaches to the lower case/motherboard with a little tab thingy that must be removed from the motherboard before you pull the top case off. Thankfully I did not damage it when yanking the top case off.

The whole process took about 2 hours, including take-apart, installing, and putting back together.

For the 17" Powerbook, you will need a very small Phillips head screwdriver, an average sized Phillips, and a TORX #9. Most TORX sets only go down to a #10, so you have to go to Home Depot or similar store to find a mini TORX set. Probably a few less screws on the 15" and 12" Powerbooks and iBooks. You will also need a flat head screwdriver or similar thin flat tool that can be used to pry the top panel from the top case.

Of course, the actual imaging of the old drive to my external drive, and restoring to the new drive was another task, but that went smoothly with Disk Utility. About one hour to image 50 gigs on the old drive and about an hour to restore it.

I bought the HItachi 7200 rpm 60 gig drive from Other World Computing. They have excellent service. It was $260 plus shipping.

If you can use a screwdriver, you can do this upgrade!

Now I need to figure out what to do with the old drive.

Good luck!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

TheGameguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2004, 01:25 PM

While I could probably do the upgrade..

I'd rather not pry apart the case with a screwdriver..

Any chance an Apple Store would perform the upgrade? or is this something you have to have a third party perform?

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by TheGameguru:
While I could probably do the upgrade..

Any chance an Apple Store would perform the upgrade? or is this something you have to have a third party perform?
If you are careful you will not damage anything.

I am not sure about the Apple Store doing an upgrade. Any computer store will probably do it. Whether it will be covered by Apple is another story. You should probably call up Apple for the specifics.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

TheGameguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
If you are careful you will not damage anything.

I am not sure about the Apple Store doing an upgrade. Any computer store will probably do it. Whether it will be covered by Apple is another story. You should probably call up Apple for the specifics.
Your probably right..but I'm still in the newness love affair with my 15" PB since its < 2 weeks old.

I'll call the local Apple Store because I want them to fix my crooked lid latch..

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2004, 03:06 PM

keep us updated TheGameguru ... i've been wondering the same thing

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2004, 03:45 AM

I just want to second the opinion on the Hitachi 7200 RPM hard drive. I put the same drive in my Pismo (stock 400 MHz, 768 RAM). I needed to make this machine last another 9 months or so and it was so slow it made me crazy. So I looked at processor upgrades and that seemed like a lot of money for something I planned to replace within a year.

I started by taking the memory from 512 to 768. That helped but wasn't enough.

Then I found the drive on sale at a place in Cambridge, MA, (yes, an actual store, imagine that!). I'd read about these and bought it. I self installed (no problem at all except my shaking hand). No problem with the install, format, installing the system etc. The drive has never had any problems and it makes this admittedly older machine fun to run.

I like the drive so much that when I buy a 15" Al Book in a month, I'm thinking about moving the drive to it. My understanding is that this has to be done by an Apple Certified technician to retain the warranty.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2004, 10:44 AM

The real question is will Apple ever offer build-to-order 7200 RPM in new PowerBooks?
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Dr.Michael
Mar 6, 2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
Hi hldan and others,

if you hesitate to open your powerbook which will indeed void your warranty and make the investment for apple care useless, you can also use an external 3.5 inch firewire drive. For example Samsung spinpoint is very calm and has average read/write speed that matches the firewire speed perfectly (50 MB/sec).

At least at home the speed effect is the same if you boot from a fast external drive. And you get a backup disk for the same money that you have to spend for the internal drive.

But - of course - its a little bit less cool :0).

Michael
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Mar 6, 2004 at 05:06 PM. )

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by TheGameguru:
Snip...
use an old credit card to pry the case open

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
Hi hldan and others,

if you hesitate to open your powerbook which will indeed void your warranty and make the investigation for apple care useless, you can also use an external 3.5 inch firewire drive.......
At least at home the speed effect is the same if you boot from a fast external drive. And you get a backup disk for the same money that you have to spend for the internal drive.

But - of course - its a little bit less cool :0).

Michael
Here's some speed tests of the 7K60 on an AlPB, comparing the internal 80 GB, vs the internal 7K60, and also external 7K60 on the FW800 bus. The FW800 looks very good, in both series of tests:

http://www.barefeats.com/fire42.html

http://www.barefeats.com/hard34.html

Since the HD is no longer user installable on the AlPB, it all depends on how comfortable you are with the uncertainty of allowing Apple to be the judge about whether you damaged something internally when you yourself opened the case. You think they can't tell? Maybe? Personally, I'd either have an ASP (apple service provider) install the HD, or go for the fw800 option.

v2nce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2004, 12:01 PM

I had a question.
Can you feel this vibrations of 7200 RPM (Hitachi 7K60) drive on you PowerBook 17"?
I did the same drive upgrade with my PowerBook Ti 1Ghz. But this drive causes disturbing vibrations! to my PB, so I returned the drive back to the dealer and exchanged it for the Hitachi Travelstar 5K60 with 5400RPM /8MB cache, this one causes less vibrations and noise, but I can feel it to when the drive is running.

vince

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 9, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
The real question is will Apple ever offer build-to-order 7200 RPM in new PowerBooks?
Sure, someday. I bet the next major PB update will shift to 5400 RPM as standard with 7200 as BTO. Then in a year or two 7200 standard and 10000 BTO. On and on it goes.

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by v2nce:
I had a question.
Can you feel this vibrations of 7200 RPM (Hitachi 7K60) drive on you PowerBook 17"?
I did the same drive upgrade with my PowerBook Ti 1Ghz. But this drive causes disturbing vibrations! to my PB, so I returned the drive back to the dealer and exchanged it for the Hitachi Travelstar 5K60 with 5400RPM /8MB cache, this one causes less vibrations and noise, but I can feel it to when the drive is running.

vince
There is a little, constant, whirring sound from this drive that is only noticeable in a silent room. There is no annoying clicking like the stock drive. There are no vibrations either. It is excellent.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2004, 06:56 PM

"Since the HD is no longer user installable on the AlPB, it all depends on how comfortable you are with the uncertainty of allowing Apple to be the judge about whether you damaged something internally when you yourself opened the case."

Come March 21st my 1 year warranty expires on my 17". And since Florida residents are denied Apple Care I guess I can install whatever I want. Anyone know why Fla is getting the Apple shaft?

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 02:22 PM

As of now it seems unclear to me if an Apple Certified Technician can perform the HD Upgrade?

If I send it to someone to replace the HD for me will my PB still be covered under Warranty???

Anyone knows?
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by urrl78:
"Since the HD is no longer user installable on the AlPB, it all depends on how comfortable you are with the uncertainty of allowing Apple to be the judge about whether you damaged something internally when you yourself opened the case."

Come March 21st my 1 year warranty expires on my 17". And since Florida residents are denied Apple Care I guess I can install whatever I want. Anyone know why Fla is getting the Apple shaft?
Extended warranties are illegal in Fla. It's your Legislators' fault.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 11, 2004, 03:54 PM

couldn't you just buy applecare in another state? say you just moved to FL, they can't stop honoring your warranty just because you "moved", can they?

what a stupid law, some days i'm really glad i moved out of florida.

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2004, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by RodriCO2000:
As of now it seems unclear to me if an Apple Certified Technician can perform the HD Upgrade?

If I send it to someone to replace the HD for me will my PB still be covered under Warranty???

Anyone knows?
TekServe in NYC (an authorized Apple service center) installed a 7200 RPM drive in my 15" AlBook. They told me that PowerBook would still covered by Apple's warranty, but the new hard drive would be only covered by the Hitachi warranty. In other words, if you send your broken PB to Apple and they determine the issue was related to the new drive, they would not replace/fix the 7200 RPM drive. TekServe also said that Apple does not have problems with authorized serviced centers opening the PowerBook case.

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 11:53 PM

Is it too expensive to have an Apple Technician do the upgrade?

I am sure I can do the upgrade myself, I have detailed instrutctions with pictures and I have experience taking laptops apart, but I am concerned with warranty issues.

What to do.... What to do....

Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2004, 04:49 AM

I'd like to know what a typical certified installation would cost if anyone knows...
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
I'd like to know what a typical certified installation would cost if anyone knows...
Questions like this are easily answered by calling as ASP?

The Neighborhood Computer Store (an ASP in Denver) quoted me $80, which includes bringing in the system software disks for them to install a system to test the installation. No data transfer included.

Presumably, the upgrade is entered into Applecare's database about your AlPB serial number. However, plan on keeping your detailed receipt in perpetuity for documentation.

ATPTourFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 01:10 PM

Has anyone ever heard what the new Toshiba 5400rpm drives sound like compared to the TravelStar 7200 or 5400rpm models?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2004, 01:13 PM

has anyone done this in a 12 inch?

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
has anyone done this in a 12 inch?
I was wondering that... Also, any heat issues when installing faster drives?
tin pot, garden shed

jewing80
Mar 29, 2004, 03:59 PM

I installed a 7K60 in a 1 GHz 12� a couple months ago; I also added a stick of Corsair 512MB CL 2.5 as well.

I only had a week to test the system before I had to give it back to its owner so my conclusions are not the most definitive. I didn�t notice any additional heat or battery drain. Granted the thing did get fairly warm, at least in comparison to my Ti, but even playing Spearhead on battery power it didn�t become unbearable. I can�t really comment on the battery life. I didn�t have any experience with the 12� prior to the upgrade; at least not while operating on battery power.

The performance was awesome. The system smoked, even with its lower end graphics card the 12� still performed really well, gaming was hampered only by the display. Overall the performance was just as good is not better in most things than my 1 GHz Ti which was loaded with 1GB of RAM and a 7K60 as well. Honestly if the screen was a bit better quality I would have sold my Ti and gone with an identical 12� setup.

Let me know if you have any questions about the installation process.

NeutronMonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 06:10 PM

I've successfully and happily installed the Hit 7K60 on a 550Mhz Ti Powerbook. With the right Torx drivers, installation was painless (my local Sears Hardware store had the Craftsman set, T9- T6). While I bought the drive for my wife's new Ai 15" , I will use TekServe (in Manhattan, a great store: if you are ever in N.Y., check it out; while the N.Y. SoHo Apple store is great, the TekServe store has more stuff and is just funky fun) to keep the AppleCare contract in place. If you ever need service, the first thing Apple will check is Apple System Profiler, which will indicate what changes have been made. The drive is definitely worth it.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 06:33 PM

Man... I wish they can hurry up and start making the 120gig 7200 rpm laptop drives... I'll upgrade in a heart beat...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Toyin
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Target Practice:
TekServe in NYC (an authorized Apple service center) installed a 7200 RPM drive in my 15" AlBook. They told me that PowerBook would still covered by Apple's warranty, but the new hard drive would be only covered by the Hitachi warranty. In other words, if you send your broken PB to Apple and they determine the issue was related to the new drive, they would not replace/fix the 7200 RPM drive. TekServe also said that Apple does not have problems with authorized serviced centers opening the PowerBook case.
That's interesting. I plan on getting a 15" PB in the next few weeks and I asked about the upgrade at the Apple store in Chestnut Hill, MA. He said they were not allowed to perform the swap. I'm going to give the 4200rpm a go and then upgrade if I can't tolerate it. If the warranty is saved by using an authorized dealer, then I won't do it myself.

I replaced the drive in my rev A 12" PB with the 7K60 and it absolutely screams. Finder updates are much faster, LaunchBar is instantaneous. Start up and other disk intensive activities (repair permissions, fsck) are significantly faster than the OEM drive. The drive doesn't get hotter than the original drive. I can't comment on battery life because with every OS update (Since 10.2.x), the indicated battery life changes. The drive is a little louder then I remember the original drive but it's only noticeable in a completely quiet room.

I'm hoping by the time I get the 15 incher and get tired of the slow drive, there will be a 7K80 out.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2004, 07:14 AM

i got the apple service manual from sum web site for my 12" PB thats the full how too pull your power book to pieces nice...

first thing i'll do when she turns 1 year old is install a 7200rpm 60-80gb drive!

if any one wants a copy then pm me i can upload it too a server i know!!!

i only have the 12" manual though...

sk

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by v2nce:
I had a question.

vince
I have heard that too, maybe you should make sure all the screws and all the fittings are tight?
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2004, 02:52 PM

Well I just put one in a PowerBook 17" and I can definitely feel the vibrations. It's not a matter of tightening the screws, since the drive mounts to rubber mounts. You want the mounts to cancel the vibrations, a tighter connection only transmits the vibration more.

The vibration will not as bad as notebooks from 5 years ago is much more than I expected reading the posts. It's kind of a lower pitched buzz that transmits throughout the machine. You really notice because the stock drives are so quiet and smooth. I'm going to try this for a couple of days, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep this in. When I put one of the newer PowerBooks to sleep before I always had to check the sleep light to make sure it was asleep before packing it away. With this drive, there is no need, I can feel when it goes to sleep. It's nice and fast, but I'm not sure it's nice and fast enough to keep.

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
I have heard that too, maybe you should make sure all the screws and all the fittings are tight?

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2004, 03:50 PM

Just to clarify, I put in the Hitachi "enhanced" 7k60 and I definitely feel the vibration from it. Does anyone have any experience with both the enhanced and non-enhanced versions? Does maybe this version vibrate more? Although this one a little more noise than the stock drives, it's a very small amount. It's the vibration that's killing me. Power usages seems about the same, really too small a difference to matter.

Getoverit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 08:53 PM

i did the upgrade no difference between the 4200hd and 7200hd when transfering files from external hd. both 20megs. also in target mode 14megs.
the 7200 vibrates but not annoyingly, no heat problems and is quiet.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2004, 02:05 AM

Well an interesting datapoint. I got my hands on a 7k60 tonight (as opposed to the E7k60) and installed it. This is faintly noisier with just a hint of a high-pitched whine, but when mounted it has no vibration but like the stock 4200rpm drive. I don't know if this vibration is a "feature" of the enhanced version or if I just got a bad one. Anyone else installed the enhanced version and have no vibration?

Forum Links
Forum Rules