Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Applecare and COMP USA warranty

Applecare and COMP USA warranty
HellionNecrosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2005, 11:20 PM

Hi, Ladies and Gents. I'm new to Macs and have a 15" Powerbook 1.5gz 1gig ram 128 video ram. I have the applecare warranty. I visited COMP USA today and they informed me of a new accidental coverage damage for the screen on the powerbooks. It costs $249USD. It even covers accidental damage to the screen, or so the 2 sale reps told me. But only for the screen. You have to have applecare to get this one. I was wondering if its worth getting, or can I get another warranty somewhere else that is comparable for less? Also, is there any warranties for apples that cover accidental damage. I've noticed that DELLS and Gateway have them now and a few others. Thanks in advance.

HellionNecrosis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 06:15 AM

Hi, I called COMP USA and this time I was told that applecare that states w/ or w/out display means you buy an external apple display for your powerbook, but does not include the powerbook screen. I've also seen that on the apple/applecare website. So, would it be a good idea to just go ahead and get this extra warranty? Any help would b great as I am about to be deployed to the Middle East in about 2 1/2 weeks and don't really have time to ponder this to long. Thanx in advanced.

Mustangmikeua
Jan 19, 2005, 11:46 AM

I'll tell you this... I used to work at compusa, and the guy told you the truth... The display and display only, is covered under accidental damage if you purchase that 250 deal.

That being said, powerbook screens are so expensive that most likely they would end up replacing the whole machine if something were to break, instead of just replacing the screen, at least thats the way it used to be.

Either way I wuold get it. Good luck to you

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2005, 08:54 PM

The question is, do you see yourself destroying your Powerbook screen anytime soon?

If I dropped $2500 on a laptop $250 "seems" like cheap insurance but I wouldn't let anything happen to it. $100 spent on an aluminum briefcase-like case with plenty of foam padding should protect the laptop from most falls.

Also consider the fact that you are being deployed overseas and if it gets damaged overseas you may spend that much or more shipping the computer back to the US to claim warranty coverage.

HellionNecrosis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 10:51 PM

Thanks guys, exactly what I was thinking.. spend all that money.. 349+249 is worth it. Just wish they had 100% accidental damage warranty for the whole powerbook like some of the other manufactures.

Forum Links
Forum Rules