Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FT: High End AMD 64 System for a G4/G5 Mac

FT: High End AMD 64 System for a G4/G5 Mac
PhantomOSX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 12:10 PM

I’m looking for a G4 or G5 Mac to trade for this.
I favor Powerbooks and iBooks but I will consider anything.
It’s not even a month old and everything is spanking new.

Email me at [email protected] for any questions/offers.

SPECS:

Windows XP Professional SP2 (CD Included)
LCT-TECH Aluminum Silver 10GA-CS Mini-Mid Tower Case
550 Watt Power Supply Unit
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe Motherboard Retail
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Retail
ZALMAN Copper Heatsink/Fan Model CNPS7700-CU
PQI Turbo Series Dual Channel Gold 184-pin 512 MBs (2x 256 MBs) of PC 3200 RAM
Samsung 160 GBs 8 MB Buffer 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive
SoftV90 56k Modem
Lite-On 52x32x52x16x DVD-ROM/CD-RW Burner Combo Drive
NEC 1.44 MBs Double-Side High Density Floppy Drive
GeForce 4 MX 440 Special Edition 8x AGP Video Card
Compro TV Videomate Gold+ TV Tuner Card Retail (Cable TV & FM Radio Tuner)
Logitech MX1000 Laser USB/PS2 Cordless Mouse Retail
Zippy WK-620 Compact USB/PS2 Aluminum Keyboard (85 Keys) Retail
Creative Inspire 5200 Dolby Live 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Instructions, cables, power cords, etc. that came with any other items will be included as well.

PICTURES (56k Warning):

Computer Back View

Computer Front View

Computer Inside View

Computer Top Down Angle View

Keyboard & Mouse Side Angle View

Keyboard & Mouse Top View

Keyboard Closeup

Mouse Closeup

Speakers Front View

Whole System Angle View

Whole System Front View

RAM

Software & Manuals

Software & Manuals 2

Please forgive any dust you might see. I will clean the items thoroughly though before shipping. Thanks
Cryptography and Information Security Group (CIS Group)
http://Theory.LCS.MIT.edu/~CIS/

Tetsuo
Jan 23, 2005, 04:53 PM

good luck, that pc isn't even high end. you'd have to add alot of cash in to even it out

PhantomOSX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Tetsuo:
good luck, that pc isn't even high end. you'd have to add alot of cash in to even it out
It isn't high end? It's pretty good regardless. Alot of cash to even it out? Why? That's around a $900 computer. That would be comparable to a Mac Mini which would be a good trade. You shouldn't thread crap unless you want to be banned. That's my two cents.

Mustangmikeua
Jan 23, 2005, 10:40 PM

Yeah thread crapping is real bad phantom... not like you would ever do such a thing...

On a more serious note. That computer really isn't high end. But without insulting your intelligence, let me explain why. It may be a 900 dollar computer, but compared to apples, you won't get much out of it. I have a amd xp 2600+ (not as high as yours, i understand) with a gig of ram, and a huge video card... couldn't get more than about 400 for it on the market.

The problem is pcs are so readily available that it is hard to get your money back out of them... they are becoming like cars... Good luck to you.

PhantomOSX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 11:12 PM

The only reason it's considered not high end is bc of three reasons:
1.Motherboard not socket 939
2.Video Card
3.2800+ Processor

Other than that it's really good.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2005, 01:34 AM

it wouldve been easier to just not respond, than to respond and thread crap.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

PhantomOSX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 05:06 PM

bump

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 05:36 PM

Damn, a newbie flame-war! Nice job guys...

In all seriousness, no one in their right mind would trade a G4 (let alone a G5) for that. Post that on eBay and see what kind of bids you get. Won't go over $300-$350 I bet. Best of luck...

PhantomOSX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 05:40 PM

What the hell? $350??? Why is that? It's worth well over that much. You should look at how much that stuff cost before you go ahead and mark it with as being a low price computer. By the sound of it, you know nothing about PC hardware. And why would "no one" trade it for a G4? I can understand why not a G5. Quit freaking thread crapping. I would expect more from a vet of this site.
( Last edited by PhantomOSX; Jan 26, 2005 at 05:46 PM. )

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2005, 07:03 PM

as some what of a vet, it is usually quite difficult to trade PC's for macs here. that said your system is nice, midrange, but nice. i would expect in dollar amount it would be comparable to a digital audio based g4, 466-733, AGP, sdram.

i would suggest selling it for cash, either on ebay, message boards like this, then posting a WTB G4 thread.

PS, if you wanna part it out let me know! (you can usually sell it faster that way)

Mustangmikeua
Jan 26, 2005, 07:08 PM

noone is thread crapping phantom... we are simply offering advice and useful information. Just becasue you dont want people to tell you that your computer is not worth that much doesnt mean you can blow up at the people trying to help you out. Get your head out of your asss

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by PhantomOSX:
What the hell? $350??? Why is that? It's worth well over that much. You should look at how much that stuff cost before you go ahead and mark it with as being a low price computer. By the sound of it, you know nothing about PC hardware. And why would "no one" trade it for a G4? I can understand why not a G5. Quit freaking thread crapping. I would expect more from a vet of this site.
i think you are expecting to much from this. i just built a pc recently that has same processor, better mobo, and much better video card and other accessories for 349.00 (w/o case monitor etc) so i just would try to sell it on ebay for anywhere between 285-395 and then get some more cash and get a mini.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Mustangmikeua:
noone is thread crapping phantom... we are simply offering advice and useful information. Just becasue you dont want people to tell you that your computer is not worth that much doesnt mean you can blow up at the people trying to help you out. Get your head out of your asss
At this point you are thread crapping. Advice is one thing but you have made a couple comments in your postings on this thread that didn't need to be here.

PhantomOSX

Try putting the system in your local newpaper. I have known people to pull decent money out of a system like that. Enough to where you could buy a nice Mac. Good luck with the sell.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2005, 08:56 PM

My 3 cents.
First, the posters are right, the machine isn't worth $900. $350 - $400, maybe a big more depending on the buyer. Sorry, it's not a high end PC. The office machines I build are higher end than that (and they are 7 months old now)
Second, the posters should not have hijacked the thread. The market will show that the trade isn't fair by no one stepping up to offer a machine in trade.
Third, don't threaten people with bans. That's my job.

This thread is being locked, feel free to post again, and everyone else had better avoid crapping in it. You might want to adjust your expectations, however.

--Scott
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules