Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How hot does your iMac G5 run?

How hot does your iMac G5 run?
cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2005, 12:03 PM

I'm a little worried about the amount of heat my iMac G5 produces. It's whisper quiet normally, for sure. The fans spin up only when I launch a processor-heavy program, like Illustrator or Photoshop, or when I'm playing a game (which I'm steering away from, probably a good thing for both the iMac and me).

When my iMac starts up it's relatively cool, the CPU being around 45-50 degrees centigrade, but even when the computer is idle the CPU and hard drive temperatures steadily rise to 60 and 50 degrees celsius, respectively.

Right now I'm running Finder, Safari, Dashboard, and iTunes and the temps are as follows:

CPU - 64.8
Hard Drive - 53.3

How warm is your iMac G5? Mine runs just as fast when it's cool (when it first starts up) as it does when it's running hot after using it for a bit. I'm not sure if Apple did the best it could with this darling's cooling. I wouldn't mind a bit more fan noise, because comparably, my Windows PC sounds like a freight train.

Please post your temps.

italiano
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2005, 06:46 PM

I use hardware monitor - I usually run the same as you - right now I'm @ 54 Celsius (127 Fahrenheit) - I'm only running Safari and hardware monitor...
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 01:47 AM

These are normal temperatures, I guess. CPU is at 55C, hard drive at 37C but is also sometimes as high as 53C. The highest temperature for CPU I've seen was when I started VPC, when the CPU temp was around 80C.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 09:37 AM

CPU - 50
HD - 38

I'm just web browsing and iTuns playing right now. Nothin' huge. I'll have to post what it is after my wife gets done playing Sims2 for about 4 hours.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

cleanup  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2005, 06:43 PM

greenG4, are those temps from after just starting up your iMac or after using it for a few hours?

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by cleanup
greenG4, are those temps from after just starting up your iMac or after using it for a few hours?
Using it for about an hour or so. On a side note I checked it after watching a DVD and it was:

HD 49
CPU 59

Go figure. Didn't think that would affect HD temp....
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules