Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > WTB: Cheap Wireless G Router

WTB: Cheap Wireless G Router
Mustangmikeua
Dec 28, 2005, 11:57 PM

Hey all.

I am looking to replace my pos belkin 802.11b router with a decent 54g or better router.

Only catch is, I'd rather not pay any more than about 30 bucks, so if any of you have one lying around that you are wanting to get rid of, let me know. I would rather not get another belkin though as well, so anyhting else would be great.

Thank you...

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 12:56 AM

The Linksys WRT54G is pretty cheap locally (something like $48 CAD after rebates). If you get a v2/v3/v4, you can easily install 3rd-party firmware on it that will allow you to do some pretty cool stuff.

G5man
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2005, 04:49 PM

I would reccomend getting a router off eBay (that is where cheap prices are) are you good with setting up networks? I would reccomend a Netgear WGR614v4 at least.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 09:11 PM

I just bought a brand-new Netgear G router at Best Buy for only $29.99 after instant rebates. Unfortunately the website is sold out, but you might be lucky and find one in a store. Anyway, it's a very nice router, and I have yet to have any problems with it.

Lookie here

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Mustangmikeua  (op)
Dec 30, 2005, 08:23 PM

Thank you all for all the recommendations. I am now keeping my eye out on ebay, and will take a look at best buy for that netgear. What was the price before rebates theo??

And yes, I would like to get the wrt, but I really didn't want to spend 50 bucks. Maybe i can find an inexpensive one, who knows. Thanks again

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules